Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 119
Thanks Tree170Thanks

Thread: Bad debaters

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    Why are there such bad Debaters on the site? They always lack context, perspective, and relativity. Everything is not about facts, but what your conclusion is of those facts.

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    Debate is actually a fairly sophisticated skill. Most Americans go through school, even college, and never take a course in rhetoric, etc.

    Plus, sadly, many PHers vent in here to meet emotional needs. You won't have much success arguing what climate change will be, with someone who is nursing a sense of inferiority towards scientists and gets pleasure from denouncing their work as baseles.
    Thanks from chaos, Dirt Sands and Blues63

  2. #32
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Liberals generally don't debate.

    There are a few here but most just like to do their little one word responses or make personal troll posts.
    It has nothing to do with anyone's political POV. And we almost all fall short frequently, including me.

    It has to do with the exchange of information and analysis. Not everyone can offer that, on every thread, and even fewer can do it without snark, so the other guy might listen.

    Changing minds is unusual here because, being human, most of us post like we're at a prize fight, not a debating society.
    Thanks from Dirt Sands

  3. #33
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    Wait, stating something not true without any logic or reasoning, deflecting , and repeating over and over is not good debate?
    How do you judge which style is good? Clearly, repetition has SOME teaching value.

  4. #34
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    Unfortunately, the definition of "debate" is quite subjective.
    I disagree.

    I can distinguish between a point-counterpoint exchange, and a shouting match between two drunks.

    I think we all know what style we use.
    Thanks from Dirt Sands

  5. #35
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    Bumper sticker sized thoughts hardly convey any deep ideas or novel perspectives, and are very unpersuasive as a result, but they are convenient for people who don't know why they believe what they believe, which describes most liberals.
    I was with you until your last dependent clause.

    Sloganeering is a feature of both conservatives and liberals on PH.

    Even a few independents.

  6. #36
    Veteran Member HenryPorter's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,524
    Thanks
    10138

    From
    N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Coming from you - that's hilarious.
    You're the joke Jeremy.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Pragmatist

  7. #37
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,287
    Thanks
    7862

    From
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I disagree.

    I can distinguish between a point-counterpoint exchange, and a shouting match between two drunks.

    I think we all know what style we use.
    That's fine, but some posters play whack a mole and call it "debate". It's not much different from people thinking that a quarrel and an argument are the same thing.
    Thanks from Wonderer, Amelia and Madeline

  8. #38
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,476
    Thanks
    11797

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    How do you judge which style is good? Clearly, repetition has SOME teaching value.

    Repeating a "conclusion," which usually is just one line, with no supporting facts, logic or reasoning, is clearly not good debate. It isn't debate at all. Deflecting when people challenge that "conclusion" is also not debate. To me its not even debatable

  9. #39
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31,215
    Thanks
    26399

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    Why are there such bad Debaters on the site? They always lack context, perspective, and relativity. Everything is not about facts, but what your conclusion is of those facts.

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    How can I debate your opinion? You've given no facts to support your claim this site is full of bad debaters. Maybe you are the reason no one debates here. You posted an opinion and then you ran off.

    Im a shitty debater cuz I can give a shit what you think.

    Why does this site allow such crappy thread posters?

  10. #40
    New Member
    Joined
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    284
    Thanks
    100

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    How can I debate your opinion? You've given no facts to support your claim this site is full of bad debaters. Maybe you are the reason no one debates here. You posted an opinion and then you ran off.

    Im a shitty debater cuz I can give a shit what you think.

    Why does this site allow such crappy thread posters?
    Oh so you think I'm supposed to write an essay every time I want to debate? You think I'm supposed to spend hours and hours coming up with commonly known facts? I offered an opinion and I did in fact prove my opinion, enough to start a discussion.

    It's been up for a couple days, at what point did enrage you?

    You must not have read the previous post because they are the facts for this post. People shared your opinion about why there is bad debate.

    Your arguments lack perspective, relevance, and context. You can't compete with me on these three issues, mainly because you're too angry.



    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who are better debaters...Lefties or Righties?
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd July 2012, 01:19 AM
  2. Presidential Election Debate... without the Debaters
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th February 2012, 04:57 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed