Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 119
Thanks Tree170Thanks

Thread: Bad debaters

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    That's fine, but some posters play whack a mole and call it "debate". It's not much different from people thinking that a quarrel and an argument are the same thing.
    I post in a fashion meant to stun the reader into asking "WTF would make anyone say this?" most of the time. It suits me, personally, and I think the hardest part of changing minds is getting anyone else to revisit an assumption that has become an article of faith, but is flawed.

    But fortunately, we have a cadre' of the more patient, calmer and better reasoned posters who doubtless do far more educating and mind opening that I do. HayJenn, Ian Jeffrey, Amelia, Wonderer, Djinn, Michael, Jet, etc., etc., etc.

    Most are probably moderates, politically, but I don't think a moderate POV is essential to a moderated posting style. In fact, I'd say the conservatives across the country need to find the next William F. Buckley Jr. ASAP, because too many of their pundits now speak like monster shouters.
    Thanks from Jets

  2. #42
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21,675
    Thanks
    4181

    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    The debates used to be better, when the information flow was more limited, like in the early 2000's; people were forced to use unimpeachable sources for their "facts", now you have these political blogs and oil can sites that will publish any kind of jabberwocky and people take to it, like pablum to babes.

    You can't have a debate when the foundation of the opinion is rooted in lies and falsehoods, at that point, you are just arguing with a screen.

    Regards
    Pace
    You can't have a debate with the usual default.....your a racist! an optional default your a bigot.
    Thanks from Madeline

  3. #43
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,957
    Thanks
    25456

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    That's fine, but some posters play whack a mole and call it "debate". It's not much different from people thinking that a quarrel and an argument are the same thing.
    "Whack a mole"

    What an apt way to describe the style of many of our posters.
    Thanks from Jets and Madeline

  4. #44
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,957
    Thanks
    25456

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    How can I debate your opinion? You've given no facts to support your claim this site is full of bad debaters. Maybe you are the reason no one debates here. You posted an opinion and then you ran off.

    Im a shitty debater cuz I can give a shit what you think.

    Why does this site allow such crappy thread posters?
    No kidding.

    The OP is rather devoid of content considering the topic ... I figured there had to be a backstory somewhere. But he wasn't dropping any clues.
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #45
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,805
    Thanks
    2292

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    Or hear voices........,
    If it's voices that tell you what to believe, it's beyond my abilities to help.

  6. #46
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,287
    Thanks
    7862

    From
    New York
    People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.

    -G.K. Chesterton
    Thanks from Amelia and Madeline

  7. #47
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,342
    Thanks
    29705

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    No kidding.

    The OP is rather devoid of content considering the topic ... I figured there had to be a backstory somewhere. But he wasn't dropping any clues.
    Yes, it would help to see which thread he thinks went badly and which he thinks went well, as examples.

  8. #48
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    22,946
    Thanks
    16768

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    Why are there such bad Debaters on the site? They always lack context, perspective, and relativity. Everything is not about facts, but what your conclusion is of those facts.

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    It's called Political HOTWIRE. You expected what?

  9. #49
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,287
    Thanks
    7862

    From
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    It's called Political HOTWIRE. You expected what?
    Electricity and burning...
    Thanks from Wonderer and Madeline

  10. #50
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    15,791
    Thanks
    6470

    From
    10 years later
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I disagree.

    I can distinguish between a point-counterpoint exchange, and a shouting match between two drunks.

    I think we all know what style we use.
    I have yet to see you use either. So my question is, how would you know?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who are better debaters...Lefties or Righties?
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd July 2012, 01:19 AM
  2. Presidential Election Debate... without the Debaters
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th February 2012, 04:57 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed