Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 101
Thanks Tree57Thanks

Thread: who here is sick of the press in America?

  1. #21
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    23,073
    Thanks
    16846

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    I think the US press is in 'damage control' atm owing to Trump's anti-media campaign. Trump's asinine claims have intimidated the press and they don't know how to react because the propaganda attacks are somewhat unprecedented.

    Government usually has an 'unholy alliance' with the media, but trump has deliberately (and stupidly) alienated them. The media will 'unmake' him for this come the next election.
    I remember day after day during the campaign, going THIS FUCKING IDIOT HAS NO IDEA WHAT ENEMIES HE'S MAKING!! I know I posted it here. I also said, they WILL eat him for lunch.

  2. #22
    Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    468

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    True. But it's always been a profit driven industry. The one exception was when TV and radio depended on airwaves that were owned by the general public and they were obligated to provide news as a service and in many cases news divisions actually were money losers and TV stations depended on entertainment programming to make up for it. Cable news and talk radio haven't been good for disseminating truth.
    Who's "truth" would that be. In a nation so politically and culturally divided I can guarantee you your "truth" isn't mine.

  3. #23
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    23,073
    Thanks
    16846

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    I have been sick of the press for a long time. More often than not these media outlets function as nothing but businesses out to tweak a narrative in order to sell their product to the public.

    Phooey!

    Try a DEMOCRACY without one! (Free press, that is)


    .

  4. #24
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,087
    Thanks
    39171

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    Try a DEMOCRACY without one! (Free press, that is)


    .
    we're seeing a taste of it with Trump in the WH. But, that's mostly because they press won't stand up to him.

  5. #25
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    23,073
    Thanks
    16846

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    There is no alternative to a free press.
    Just watch the daily WH press briefings to see the alternative.
    There isn't a 'makeover' in the world that will make the WORDS that Huckabee sychophant and WH press liar will fix.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41,688
    Thanks
    24510

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    Who's "truth" would that be. In a nation so politically and culturally divided I can guarantee you your "truth" isn't mine.
    That's a good point and I see it beginning to appear in all sorts of media. For example I had a discussion with a friend over a headline in our local newspaper recently about a high school football game. The headline implied that the team that lost actually won because they "tried harder." She felt it was the truth even though they lost. She kept saying "technically they won even though they lost." That doesn't even make sense, but it was her truth. I am seeing that a lot lately in small stories too. Its definitely changing perception.

  7. #27
    Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    468

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    The 1% that owns corporate America is already "standing their ground" thru the mainstream media, all corporate owned by the way. What more could you want than 80 to 90% negative coverage?

    Harvard study: Media has been largely negative on Trump
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    we're seeing a taste of it with Trump in the WH. But, that's mostly because they press won't stand up to him.
    Your argument doesn't hold water. I've already provided a link to a Harvard study indicating they have.
    Thanks from pragmatic

  8. #28
    Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    468

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    That's a good point and I see it beginning to appear in all sorts of media. For example I had a discussion with a friend over a headline in our local newspaper recently about a high school football game. The headline implied that the team that lost actually won because they "tried harder." She felt it was the truth even though they lost. She kept saying "technically they won even though they lost." That doesn't even make sense, but it was her truth. I am seeing that a lot lately in small stories too. Its definitely changing perception.
    Differing cultures have differing views of the very same situations. It's inevitable. It's always been that way.

  9. #29
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,087
    Thanks
    39171

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    Your argument doesn't hold water. I've already provided a link to a Harvard study indicating they have.
    reporting negative news about Trump is not standing up to him. Has the media called out his press secretary for telling bald face lies? Have they stop airing the WH press briefings in their entirety? What steps have they taken in direct protest of this administration doing everything it can to undermine any criticism of this administration?

  10. #30
    Master political analyst Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,478
    Thanks
    4785

    From
    The formerly great golden state
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    we've all heard of the latest as reported by the press themselves. They were told to remain behind because VP Pence might leave early from a scheduled sports event. Now, if this had been some random sports event where there wasn't any political controversy, maybe the press could have been excused for just going along. But, because of their own reporting, we know that they knew full well that wasn't the case. They knew, as any professional journalist would, that this was a game involving a team that had taken a knee in the past, against the expressed objections of the current administration. They knew what they were being asked to do. Yet, they willingly went along with it.

    Why?

    Why don't we have any journalist in this country willing to stand their ground with this administration? Willing , at a moment like that, to say "no" to this administration. To ask..."why are we being told not to cover this event", on camera?

    Why?
    Trump and Pence pulled off a political stunt at the NFL, and the press knew it was going to happen. Were they supposed to pretend it didn't happen? Of course they covered it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th June 2017, 09:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th May 2017, 11:45 AM
  3. Press one for English, press two for Death
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th March 2016, 02:15 PM
  4. So much for freedom of the press in America
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 14th August 2014, 08:29 AM
  5. Obama bars press from press award ceremony
    By Defensor in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24th March 2009, 10:44 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed