Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: THIS is fuckin responsible journalism?!?!

  1. #51
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    99,055
    Thanks
    6059

    From
    Vancouver
    I know this kid has bigger priorities right now, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t be a slam dunk lawsuit against the journalist.

  2. #52
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,622
    Thanks
    3021

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I know this kid has bigger priorities right now, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t be a slam dunk lawsuit against the journalist.
    Priorities, maybe... but on the other hand, he's probably going to have a lot of time on his hands for something like that soon.

  3. #53
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,333
    Thanks
    31592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I know this kid has bigger priorities right now, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t be a slam dunk lawsuit against the journalist.
    If it happened in the UK, maybe.
    Thanks from allegoricalfact

  4. #54
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,566
    Thanks
    557

    From
    the Sussex Downs
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    If it happened in the UK, maybe.
    Automatically in England and Wales - all minors, defendant, witness, or victim, and any information which could lead to discovery of their identity are protected, witnesses and victims enjoy huge identity protection - In Scotland the law is more flexible and at the courts discretion, though the norm is as England and Wales - I'm not sure about Northern Ireland but I think that a reporting restriction has to be applied for........ and usually given. There are differing legal systems in the UK.

  5. #55
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,333
    Thanks
    31592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by allegoricalfact View Post
    Automatically in England and Wales - all minors, defendant, witness, or victim, and any information which could lead to discovery of their identity are protected, witnesses and victims enjoy huge identity protection - In Scotland the law is more flexible and at the courts discretion, though the norm is as England and Wales - I'm not sure about Northern Ireland but I think that a reporting restriction has to be applied for........ and usually given. There are differing legal systems in the UK.
    Yes, but the press here in the US doesn't operate under such restrictions.

  6. #56
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,566
    Thanks
    557

    From
    the Sussex Downs
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Yes, but the press here in the US doesn't operate under such restrictions.
    I know - I was just filling you in. In your maybe, you were right. It would be a criminal offence for the media to divulge any legally protected persons' identity.

    Many of us now think that the identity of defendants in rape cases, and other such, should be protected to - unless or until they are found guilty. So many lives are being ruined now because of prosecuted allegations of sexcual assaults and rape for which they are found not guilty ---- but that is another matter.

    This boy, in this case, will not care - unless found innocent of course - his life is done.

  7. #57
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,333
    Thanks
    31592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I know this kid has bigger priorities right now, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t be a slam dunk lawsuit against the journalist.
    For publishing the police report? Would that be illegal in Canada?

  8. #58
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    33,864
    Thanks
    7025

    From
    A Month Away
    The reporter wrote a story with the facts given. The facts included a statement from the law enforcement that the individual's name wasn't being released at that time. Until the name was released or the reporter sourced the information reliably, that was responsible journalism. What if there was a step-child, foster child, or another sibling and they published the wrong name?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Fuckin Mitt Romney....
    By davisjr1990 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th January 2008, 10:53 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed