Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: THIS is fuckin responsible journalism?!?!

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ

    THIS is fuckin responsible journalism?!?!

    A 16-year-oldkilled his parents on New Years Eve. Now, I'm sure there is ging to be all kinds of threads discussing gun control, lack of parenting, declining oral fibre, blah, blah, blah. However, I was interested in one passage in the story I read.

    Read this passage, and see if you can tell what's wrong:

    The teen, whose name has not been released, is in police custody in connection with the shooting deaths of his father, Steven Kologi, 44; mother, Linda Kologi, 42; sister, Brittany Kologi, 18; and a family friend, Mary Schultz, 70, who was residing at the Kologi home in Long Branch, New Jersey, according to Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni and a statement from his office.

    What. The. Actual. Fuck?!?! Soooo...they won't release the name, because he's a minor, but they will print the names of every single family member he shot, and the location, so that any half-retarded Rhesus Monkey with access to a computer can cross reference, and find the kid's name, within, like, five minutes. Really?!?! This is what passes for journalistic integrity these days?!?! I mean, for fuck's sake! If your gonna make it that easy, why pretend that you give a shit that he's a minor, and just print the kid's fuckin name?!?

  2. #2
    Established Member Idiocracat's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,568
    Thanks
    4590

    From
    U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    A 16-year-oldkilled his parents on New Years Eve. Now, I'm sure there is ging to be all kinds of threads discussing gun control, lack of parenting, declining oral fibre, blah, blah, blah. However, I was interested in one passage in the story I read.

    Read this passage, and see if you can tell what's wrong:

    The teen, whose name has not been released, is in police custody in connection with the shooting deaths of his father, Steven Kologi, 44; mother, Linda Kologi, 42; sister, Brittany Kologi, 18; and a family friend, Mary Schultz, 70, who was residing at the Kologi home in Long Branch, New Jersey, according to Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni and a statement from his office.

    What. The. Actual. Fuck?!?! Soooo...they won't release the name, because he's a minor, but they will print the names of every single family member he shot, and the location, so that any half-retarded Rhesus Monkey with access to a computer can cross reference, and find the kid's name, within, like, five minutes. Really?!?! This is what passes for journalistic integrity these days?!?! I mean, for fuck's sake! If your gonna make it that easy, why pretend that you give a shit that he's a minor, and just print the kid's fuckin name?!?
    At 16, he can be tried as an adult, so yea. Why not?
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiocracat View Post
    At 16, he can be tried as an adult, so yea. Why not?
    They're trying him as an adult. That's not the point. The article made a point of saying they are not releasing his name, because "he is a minor", then proceeded to give anyone who cares all the information they need to do a quick internet search, and get the name for themselves. If they're going to do that, why go through the pretence of honouring the whole, "You don't publish the names of minors" rule?
    Thanks from bmanmcfly and Dangermouse

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24,665
    Thanks
    23452

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiocracat View Post
    At 16, he can be tried as an adult, so yea. Why not?
    I could never understand this "flexibility" about age. If he's a minor he's a minor. If he's an adult he's an adult. If the courts want to punish a minor as an adult, change the age of minority.
    Thanks from jacobfitcher, splansing and StanStill

  5. #5
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,388
    Thanks
    1443

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Giving the lack of parental discipline these days, a bit of public shaming of minors by the media might be a good thing. If it takes a village to raise a child (as liberals say), the village needs to know the child's name.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Giving the lack of parental discipline these days, a bit of public shaming of minors by the media might be a good thing. If it takes a village to raise a child (as liberals say), the village needs to know the child's name.
    Okay. Not sure I agree with the premise. But, even so, then why pretend we're not gonna do that? Why not just be up front about putting this kid out there for the world to wag their fingers at?
    Thanks from Dangermouse

  7. #7
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28,667
    Thanks
    20566

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    A 16-year-oldkilled his parents on New Years Eve. Now, I'm sure there is ging to be all kinds of threads discussing gun control, lack of parenting, declining oral fibre, blah, blah, blah. However, I was interested in one passage in the story I read.

    Read this passage, and see if you can tell what's wrong:

    The teen, whose name has not been released, is in police custody in connection with the shooting deaths of his father, Steven Kologi, 44; mother, Linda Kologi, 42; sister, Brittany Kologi, 18; and a family friend, Mary Schultz, 70, who was residing at the Kologi home in Long Branch, New Jersey, according to Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni and a statement from his office.

    What. The. Actual. Fuck?!?! Soooo...they won't release the name, because he's a minor, but they will print the names of every single family member he shot, and the location, so that any half-retarded Rhesus Monkey with access to a computer can cross reference, and find the kid's name, within, like, five minutes. Really?!?! This is what passes for journalistic integrity these days?!?! I mean, for fuck's sake! If your gonna make it that easy, why pretend that you give a shit that he's a minor, and just print the kid's fuckin name?!?
    Sorry, but what's new about this? SOP for decades.

  8. #8
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11225

    From
    By the wall
    Actually it was law enforcement not releasing him name.

    The author never said it was his employer withholding the name, which they clearly allowed people to find out easily.

    So basically the writer said what happened, no names were released by police yet but we have the information if you want to go find it.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Actually it was law enforcement not releasing him name.

    The author never said it was his employer withholding the name, which they clearly allowed people to find out easily.

    So basically the writer said what happened, no names were released by police yet but we have the information if you want to go find it.
    I don't remember ever seeing the media doing this before - following the letter of a protection of a minor's name, while blatantly ignoring the spirit of it. If journalists are going to ignore the attempt to keep a minor's name out of the public, then why go through the pretence like this? Why not just print his name?
    Thanks from Amelia and Dangermouse

  10. #10
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,728
    Thanks
    31432

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I could never understand this "flexibility" about age. If he's a minor he's a minor. If he's an adult he's an adult. If the courts want to punish a minor as an adult, change the age of minority.
    The statute expressly permits treating certain minors as adults for purposes of criminal prosecution.
    Thanks from Dangermouse

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fuckin Mitt Romney....
    By davisjr1990 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th January 2008, 09:53 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed