Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 123
Thanks Tree78Thanks

Thread: Fighting Fake News Is Not the Solution

  1. #11
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92,708
    Thanks
    69855

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    What is fiscally conservative about a modern day Republican?
    I didn't say they were. There's been no fiscally responsible candidate from any party in recent elections. But there have been candidates from both who campaign as being fiscally responsible and that's what voters evaluate them on.
    Thanks from Wonderer

  2. #12
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,060
    Thanks
    33450

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    I didn't say they were. There's been no fiscally responsible candidate from any party in recent elections. But there have been candidates from both who campaign as being fiscally responsible and that's what voters evaluate them on.
    If the voters would pay more attention to what politicians do in office than what they say on the campaign trial, we wouldn't have all of these problems with Republican Party governance. I disagree with your assertion that there are no fiscally responsible Democrats. You're simply attempting to make yourself appear "even-handed" by saying that.
    Thanks from boontito

  3. #13
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92,708
    Thanks
    69855

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    If the voters would pay more attention to what politicians do in office than what they say on the campaign trial, we wouldn't have all of these problems with Republican Party governance. I disagree with your assertion that there are no fiscally responsible Democrats. You're simply attempting to make yourself appear "even-handed" by saying that.
    Very true. And the busier a person's daily life gets, the less time they have to research a candidate. There's also the problem of a candidate who has yet to establish a verifiable track record. But, you're right, voters need to be more informed and the fact that they're not can't be excused by fake news or lying candidates, it's the voter's responsibility.

    You can stick your head in the sand regarding the ideological shift I brought up all you want. I don't mind the personal insult, I can take it. Shall I now respond with a completely made up take about what you're REALLY doing? Nah.

    Good discussion otherwise.
    Last edited by boontito; 6th January 2018 at 06:49 AM.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  4. #14
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,060
    Thanks
    33450

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Very true. And the busier a person's daily life gets, the less time they have to research a candidate. There's also the problem of a candidate who has yet to establish a verifiable track record. But, you're right, voters need to be more informed and the fact that they're not can't be excused by fake news or lying candidates, it's the voter's responsibility.
    Absolutely. Even gerrymandering is the fault of the voters, because Republicans couldn't have accomplished their gerrymandering without being elected by...

    You guessed it! The voters.
    Thanks from boontito and Ian Jeffrey

  5. #15
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    19,013
    Thanks
    2980

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    @bmanmcfly In what way?
    It assumes politifact to be the referee on what is fact.

    Actually, it was well written to conceal that, by pretending to be objective for a few lines, it acts as though it's taking a balanced position.

    So, the premise of people not being able to recognize fact from fiction is flawed, better stated as people are good at confirming their own biases.

  6. #16
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,137
    Thanks
    48207

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    It assumes politifact to be the referee on what is fact.

    Actually, it was well written to conceal that, by pretending to be objective for a few lines, it acts as though it's taking a balanced position.

    So, the premise of people not being able to recognize fact from fiction is flawed, better stated as people are good at confirming their own biases.
    It's not just Politifact. There is objective reality that the whole world, except Trump supporters, accepts. Besides, the article did say that most people can and do recognize the truth.

  7. #17
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    19,013
    Thanks
    2980

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    It's not just Politifact. There is objective reality that the whole world, except Trump supporters, accepts. Besides, the article did say that most people can and do recognize the truth.
    See, that's why it's a flawed premise.

    Of course you assume yourself to be correct, that's natural. What if the world was wrong, except trump supporters?

    If you are being objective, that has to be accepted as a possibility, even though, most likely it will be somewhere in between.
    Thanks from John T Ford

  8. #18
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,137
    Thanks
    48207

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    See, that's why it's a flawed premise.

    Of course you assume yourself to be correct, that's natural. What if the world was wrong, except trump supporters?

    If you are being objective, that has to be accepted as a possibility, even though, most likely it will be somewhere in between.
    All I can do is shake my head.
    Thanks from boontito and Idiocracat

  9. #19
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92,708
    Thanks
    69855

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    What if the world was wrong, except trump supporters?
    #TrumpCult
    Thanks from Babba, TennesseeRain and Ian Jeffrey

  10. #20
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    19,013
    Thanks
    2980

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    All I can do is shake my head.
    Do you lack the brain power to explain why?

    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    #TrumpCult
    I'm able to acknowledge the possibility of being wrong, you apparently cannot. Which sounds more cult like?
    Thanks from John T Ford

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd December 2017, 03:05 PM
  2. Fake News Network (CNN) caught Staging Fake Protest.
    By TNVolunteer73 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 8th June 2017, 03:28 PM
  3. Fake News Network Finally Retracts Fake Story
    By NightSwimmer in forum Current Events
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 24th May 2017, 07:06 AM
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 7th December 2016, 06:40 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th May 2016, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed