Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 114
Thanks Tree76Thanks

Thread: How biased is your news source?

  1. #61
    Moderator Nicnam's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    13,760
    Thanks
    3552

    From
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Like for example, just taking some chart at face value despite having no idea what their methodology was.
    This is the interpretation of just one person, creator of the chart is Vanessa Otero. Who writes her 'Original Reasoning and Methodology' on her blog -



    There are lots of reasons. Many are subjective. More data would make it better. I am not a media expert.
    -
    I am fully aware that the website MediaBiasFactCheck, and the organization Pew Research, and media research departments at many universities have large sets of empirical data available to review, and that those sources are more reputable than *just me*.


    I suppose if anyone wants to go with one persons opinion of media sources, this is your person.

    Here's the link to her blog - The Chart, Version 1.0: Original Reasoning and Methodology

  2. #62
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    22,266
    Thanks
    3453

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Regardless, bias is not a reflection of factual reporting.

    It used to be where CNN would present a fact, then they would discuss the fact(s) raised. Meanwhile, fox would present the same fact(s) and would provide their perspectives.

    You could look at both sides and see which conclusion with which you would feel more aligned.

    Since trump, you can take a story from all major news sources, and pull out the facts.... It seems beyond the dates and the names, the MSM outlets can't even seem to agree on the what happened.

  3. #63
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,171
    Thanks
    701

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    What I find most disturbing is that while there are items in both the bottom-left and bottom-right corners, I've never HEARD of the ones in the bottom-left (except for Occupy Democrats), while the majority of those in the bottom right are routinely mentioned in the media (Breitbart, Infowars, The Blaze, Red State, Newsmax, and The Daily Caller).

    What's the one just above "Occupy Democrats?" The color scheme makes it hard to read. Something-report.
    That's an indication of the obvious bias of the liberal blogger who created this chart. Of course she had a hard time naming recognizable "news sources" on the left that she was willing to characterize as "nonsense damaging to public discourse". So she inserted the fringiest of the fringe. But on the right she had no problem assigning the "nonsense" designation, because she's a leftist. It's hilarious that libs are looking to this chart as confirming their biases.

  4. #64
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88,227
    Thanks
    24700

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicnam View Post
    This is the interpretation of just one person, creator of the chart is Vanessa Otero. Who writes her 'Original Reasoning and Methodology' on her blog -



    There are lots of reasons. Many are subjective. More data would make it better. I am not a media expert.
    -
    I am fully aware that the website MediaBiasFactCheck, and the organization Pew Research, and media research departments at many universities have large sets of empirical data available to review, and that those sources are more reputable than *just me*.


    I suppose if anyone wants to go with one persons opinion of media sources, this is your person.

    Here's the link to her blog - The Chart, Version 1.0: Original Reasoning and Methodology
    Pretty much all her reasoning is subjective. Which is a good reason to take this with a grain of salt.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    17,625
    Thanks
    7577

    From
    10 years later
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I have very high regard for Reuters. And proud as punch that it’s Canadian owned. There’s no one else who values their integrity and ethics more. I agree they’re top of the heap. By miles. I dearly wish they’d make a TV network ... but it would be boring.

    As CNN has taught us, there’s no place on TV for real news. When I was a teen CNN would have been alone at the top of that chart. Now they’re damn lucky to be straddling the yellow box.
    Believe it or not they have one. I downloaded the app on my Roku. You can choose how much news you want based on how much time you have. They have other features like live tv and featured topics also.

  6. #66
    Targeted Mister B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,059
    Thanks
    1592

    From
    DS9
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    That's an indication of the obvious bias of the liberal blogger who created this chart. Of course she had a hard time naming recognizable "news sources" on the left that she was willing to characterize as "nonsense damaging to public discourse". So she inserted the fringiest of the fringe. But on the right she had no problem assigning the "nonsense" designation, because she's a leftist. It's hilarious that libs are looking to this chart as confirming their biases.
    How do you know she's a "liberal" blogger?

  7. #67
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    55,057
    Thanks
    42568

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Pretty much all her reasoning is subjective. Which is a good reason to take this with a grain of salt.
    Again it's not rocket science to be able to detect a source that has bias.

    Usually within the first or second paragraph you can spot it if you paying attention.
    Thanks from boontito

  8. #68
    Targeted Mister B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,059
    Thanks
    1592

    From
    DS9
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Pretty much all her reasoning is subjective. Which is a good reason to take this with a grain of salt.
    Are you aware she's received accolades for her chart? Are you aware the chart not only singles out extreme right sources, but left? Will you defend those sources too?

    https://www.blindspotblog.us/single-...-Vanessa-Otero
    Thanks from HayJenn

  9. #69
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    22,266
    Thanks
    3453

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Again it's not rocket science to be able to detect a source that has bias.

    Usually within the first or second paragraph you can spot it if you paying attention.
    Most of the time, not even that far, just need to hover over the link and if it's cnn/msnbc then you don't need to read it.

  10. #70
    DEEP STATE CEO Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,946
    Thanks
    7431

    From
    SPECTRE HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Again it's not rocket science to be able to detect a source that has bias.

    Usually within the first or second paragraph you can spot it if you paying attention.
    Yes, it is simply a matter of identifying the bias through the use of emotive or partisan language. I find it incredible that so many individuals are incapable of doing this as it is a component of the Senior curriculum.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. On line news source use changes
    By RNG in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25th October 2017, 12:13 PM
  2. Poll: Fox News most trusted news source for 'accurate information'
    By Spookycolt in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 21st October 2017, 08:31 PM
  3. Amanda Knox Found Guilty -- Biased U.S. News Coverage?
    By highway234 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 2nd February 2014, 12:14 AM
  4. Ted Koppel slams Fox News for being as partisan and biased as MSNBC
    By cartouch100 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th November 2010, 03:52 AM
  5. Study: Media Elite's Campaign News More Biased than Talk Radio
    By conservative in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 14th December 2008, 09:07 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed