Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51
Thanks Tree75Thanks

Thread: Read Almost Any News Source You Like, Free

  1. #21
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,219
    Thanks
    32251

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    A dog may be mans best friend but it's too dark to read inside a dog, go to the best place for that- your local library- provided by the left, thanks.
    Uh, no. The American library system began with philanthropy from men like Andrew Carnegie, who was massively wealthy off steel manufacturing in the 19th century.

    Half of Cleveland is named after this dude.
    Thanks from MeBelle

  2. #22
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,874
    Thanks
    28044

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Ever see this classic Twilight Zone episode?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_at_Last
    By the way, I think this episode launched Burgess Meredith into fame. A great actor. Also played in the first three 'Rocky' movies. And many others.
    Thanks from Madeline

  3. #23
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,874
    Thanks
    28044

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    Same, I'm a collector of rare or old books.

    One of my prizes is a 1908 John Burroughs Leaf and Tendril in superb condition. I read them too, not just storing them in some case or sleeve.
    Are you familiar with the Folio Society? Based in Britain, I believe they produce the highest-quality books in the world. Heirloom quality books. [There is also the Easton press, whose 'trademark' is that all their books are leather-bound, but I prefer the Folio Society----one of their 'trademarks' is that almost all of their books come with a handsome slipcase, and they are also beautifully illustrated.]

    I have built up a collection of perhaps 250 Folio Society books. Maybe half are history. Another large chunk is fiction, especially imaginative fiction, not just science fiction but related genres. And a growing number of science-related volumes, such as Galileo's 'Dialogue Concerning The Two Chief World Systems'.

    They ARE heirlooms. I have left them in my will to my nephew, who is a budding intellectual who reads Plato and Darwin.
    Thanks from Madeline and Ian Jeffrey

  4. #24
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,219
    Thanks
    32251

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I have my own library, though not as extensive as it used to be. I love real books, and Kindle on my phone is just too small. (I suppose I could get it on my laptop for travel purposes.) I don't know what I would never go Kindle, though, since I can imagine circumstances in older age in which it would be useful, if not ideal.


    Lol. I used to behave like that any chance I got.
    You can buy a used Kindle Paperwhite for around $50. Get it from Amazon, and they will assure you a refund if it doesn't work.

    Paperwhites only display in b&w, but they are light as air. Nothing that displays in color is comfy for me to hold for long times.

    Also, I can lend any kindle book I have purchased to another kindle owner. My library is not extensive, because I use borrowed ebooks from the library so much, but it is a nice way to save dough.

    The biggest deficit with kindle is that old books are not available enough. I like history, so that can be challenging, but since I can't hold "The Guns of August" in book form, it's kindle or nothing.

    (I like big books and I cannot lie. Lol.)

    More is available as audio books, which my brother loves, but I can't get my head around the idea. No matter how great the narrator's voice is, it just seems as if it would intrude.
    Last edited by Madeline; 24th March 2018 at 06:46 AM.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  5. #25
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,874
    Thanks
    28044

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Are you familiar with the Folio Society? Based in Britain, I believe they produce the highest-quality books in the world. Heirloom quality books. [There is also the Easton press, whose 'trademark' is that all their books are leather-bound, but I prefer the Folio Society----one of their 'trademarks' is that almost all of their books come with a handsome slipcase, and they are also beautifully illustrated.]

    I have built up a collection of perhaps 250 Folio Society books. Maybe half are history. Another large chunk is fiction, especially imaginative fiction, not just science fiction but related genres. And a growing number of science-related volumes, such as Galileo's 'Dialogue Concerning The Two Chief World Systems'.

    They ARE heirlooms. I have left them in my will to my nephew, who is a budding intellectual who reads Plato and Darwin.
    The Folio Society books are also printed on acid-free paper, of course, so will likely LAST for centuries. Most books being sold today will NOT.

    There are those awful and poignant scenes in BOTH movie versions of the H.G. Wells novel 'The Time Machine', where entire rows of books have turned to dust, the decaying remnants of dead and lost civilizations....
    Thanks from Madeline and Ian Jeffrey

  6. #26
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    41,398
    Thanks
    43506

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Uh, no. The American library system began with philanthropy from men like Andrew Carnegie, who was massively wealthy off steel manufacturing in the 19th century.

    Half of Cleveland is named after this dude.
    Carnegie was a hated "progressive":

    Besides his business and charitable interests, Carnegie enjoyed traveling and meeting and entertaining leading figures in many fields. He was friends with Matthew Arnold, Mark Twain, William Gladstone, and Theodore Roosevelt. Carnegie also wrote several books and numerous articles. His 1889 article "Wealth" outlined his view that those with great wealth must be socially responsible and use their assets to help others. This was later published as the 1900 book The Gospel of Wealth.
    A forerunner of Gates and Buffet.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Madeline

  7. #27
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,219
    Thanks
    32251

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    The Folio Society books are also printed on acid-free paper, of course, so will likely LAST for centuries. Most books being sold today will NOT.

    There are those awful and poignant scenes in BOTH movie versions of the H.G. Wells novel 'The Time Machine', where entire rows of books have turned to dust, the decaying remnants of dead and lost civilizations....
    Shades of "Farenheit 451", too.

    Ray Bradbury is a genius! HBO did a movie version, due out in May this year. Looks fabulous.

    The 1980's movie version is okay. Great acting, but crappy production.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  8. #28
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,219
    Thanks
    32251

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Carnegie was a hated "progressive":



    A forerunner of Gates and Buffet.
    Cool! Not the horrid human being his contemporaries mostly were.

  9. #29
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,874
    Thanks
    28044

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Shades of "Farenheit 451", too.

    Ray Bradbury is a genius! HBO did a movie version, due out in May this year. Looks fabulous.

    The 1980's movie version is okay. Great acting, but crappy production.
    Thanks, I did not know about the upcoming HBO version of Fahrenheit 451. Bradbury was, well, simply lyrical in his writing, in a way that very few other science-fiction writers were. For that reason, his books really transcend science fiction, and are enjoyed by many people who otherwise do not care for science fiction.

    I have the Folio Society editions of Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, and The Martian Chronicles. I LOVE the latter, a book I first read when I was maybe 8 and that helped to trigger my life-long love of science fiction. Just got The Illustrated Man a few months ago, haven't even finished it yet.
    Thanks from Madeline

  10. #30
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,219
    Thanks
    32251

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Thanks, I did not know about the upcoming HBO version of Fahrenheit 451. Bradbury was, well, simply lyrical in his writing, in a way that very few other science-fiction writers were. For that reason, his books really transcend science fiction, and are enjoyed by many people who otherwise do not care for science fiction.

    I have the Folio Society editions of Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, and The Martian Chronicles. I LOVE the latter, a book I first read when I was maybe 8 and that helped to trigger my life-long love of science fiction. Just got The Illustrated Man a few months ago, haven't even finished it yet.
    The greatest real life locked room mystery still unsolved concerns Richard Lancelyn Green, the world's leading collector of Arthur Conan Doyle books.

    See The New Yorker magazine article for December, 2004.

    Just BEGS to be made into a movie, except that there is no solution. Sherlock Holmes-ian!
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How biased is your news source?
    By RNG in forum Journalism
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 16th March 2018, 02:46 PM
  2. On line news source use changes
    By RNG in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25th October 2017, 12:13 PM
  3. Poll: Fox News most trusted news source for 'accurate information'
    By Spookycolt in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 21st October 2017, 08:31 PM
  4. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 13th May 2015, 07:23 AM
  5. Do You Trust Your News Source
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 27th October 2007, 05:19 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed