Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
Thanks Tree75Thanks

Thread: Read Almost Any News Source You Like, Free

  1. #41
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,150
    Thanks
    31815

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    No, I don't have an opinion, but an article in Science magazine dated August 2016 reported modern DNA tests, etc. "prove" Dawson was guilty.

    Insofar as proof can be had, at this late date.
    I somehow missed that article! Must check it out.
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #42
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,330
    Thanks
    34014

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    By the way, I think this episode launched Burgess Meredith into fame. A great actor.
    According to his Wikipedia page, "Meredith was known later in his career for his appearances on The Twilight Zone and for portraying arch-villain The Penguin on the 1960s TV series Batman and boxing trainer Mickey Goldmill in the Rocky film series." (Boldface added.) Having been born in 1907, he had started his career in his 20s.

    Definitely a great actor. He was actually in [b]four[/i] TZ episodes, not just "Time Enough At Last." He was also in "Mr. Dingle, the Strong;" "The Obsolete Man" (a particularly good role and episode); and "Printer's Devil" - outstanding in all of them, of course.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Madeline

  3. #43
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,330
    Thanks
    34014

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I love Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, too!
    Oh, totally. I have my collection of the complete Sherlock Holmes, though it's been a while since I read any of them.

    I've read many Agatha Christies (I really like the Poirot stories, and have only read one of hers that didn't feature him - and Then There Were None), but haven't read any in a long time, either. I had a bunch of them, but they got pared down in the Great Book Reduction of the Early 1990s. My first one was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. My mother gave it to me to read and said I'd never figure out who did it - which naturally, her having said that, I did on the first page, even though it was my first exposure I can remember to an unreliable narrator.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Madeline

  4. #44
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,150
    Thanks
    31815

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Oh, totally. I have my collection of the complete Sherlock Holmes, though it's been a while since I read any of them.

    I've read many Agatha Christies (I really like the Poirot stories, and have only read one of hers that didn't feature him - and Then There Were None), but haven't read any in a long time, either. I had a bunch of them, but they got pared down in the Great Book Reduction of the Early 1990s. My first one was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. My mother gave it to me to read and said I'd never figure out who did it - which naturally, her having said that, I did on the first page, even though it was my first exposure I can remember to an unreliable narrator.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is still one of my favorites, though I am also very fond of The ABC Murders. I've read, I believe, EVERY Poirot novel. And I do prefer those, though I also like her Miss Marple stories. The characters in quaint British Edwardian hamlets really shine out in those stories. As far as Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles is mandatory reading for any young boy.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  5. #45
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,762
    Thanks
    3928

    We would all do well to get away from our screens, sit in the publications room and browse and read.

    Good reminder.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  6. #46
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,330
    Thanks
    34014

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is still one of my favorites, though I am also very fond of The ABC Murders. I've read, I believe, EVERY Poirot novel.
    I am not sure I have read every Poirot novel, but one of these days I may go back to them. I liked The ABC Murders, and also particularly liked The Hollow, Cards on the Table, Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile. I was particularly happy with Orient Express - the film, which I saw before reading the book - because I was actually able to figure out what had happened before the reveal.

    Along with all this, I also like Neil Simon's play/film Murder by Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    And I do prefer those, though I also like her Miss Marple stories.
    I believe I have actually read only one Miss Marple, but cannot remember which one.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    As far as Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles is mandatory reading for any young boy.
    Absolutely. I would also, though, opine that the entire series is mandatory. I did not read them until an adult, when I bought the whole thing at once. My mystery reading as a teenager was mostly the Poirot novels (though I was and remain far more a science-fiction person, albeit having not read anything new in a long time).
    Thanks from Madeline and BigLeRoy

  7. #47
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57,790
    Thanks
    33398

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Oh, totally. I have my collection of the complete Sherlock Holmes, though it's been a while since I read any of them.

    I've read many Agatha Christies (I really like the Poirot stories, and have only read one of hers that didn't feature him - and Then There Were None), but haven't read any in a long time, either. I had a bunch of them, but they got pared down in the Great Book Reduction of the Early 1990s. My first one was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. My mother gave it to me to read and said I'd never figure out who did it - which naturally, her having said that, I did on the first page, even though it was my first exposure I can remember to an unreliable narrator.
    You must read "The Pale Horse" and "The Crooked House", neither featuring Poirot. Both great puzzles.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  8. #48
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57,790
    Thanks
    33398

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by MeBelle View Post
    Where I used to live we had a Carnegie Library.

    It is beautiful!

    The City planners decided to build a huge library when the city started growing and the cash was flowing in.

    Unfortunately same city planners neglected to put monies aside to keep the Carnegie open when the cash flow started to trickle in.

    I used to be on the library board and my passion was to re-open the Carnegie.

    Bureaucrats ... grrr
    We had two library board members get into a tussle about whether to close a branch, ending in the arrest and conviction of one for assaulting the other by pulling her hair.

    Emotions run high around here over libraries, which is understandable. Best way to improve the quality of life and education of area residents is to open a library branch within walking distance.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  9. #49
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,150
    Thanks
    31815

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I am not sure I have read every Poirot novel, but one of these days I may go back to them. I liked The ABC Murders, and also particularly liked The Hollow, Cards on the Table, Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile. I was particularly happy with Orient Express - the film, which I saw before reading the book - because I was actually able to figure out what had happened before the reveal.

    Along with all this, I also like Neil Simon's play/film Murder by Death.


    I believe I have actually read only one Miss Marple, but cannot remember which one.


    Absolutely. I would also, though, opine that the entire series is mandatory. I did not read them until an adult, when I bought the whole thing at once. My mystery reading as a teenager was mostly the Poirot novels (though I was and remain far more a science-fiction person, albeit having not read anything new in a long time).
    With me, it was the reverse; I read ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was 10 to 12, did not 'discover' Agatha Christie until I was in my early 20's.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  10. #50
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,150
    Thanks
    31815

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    We had two library board members get into a tussle about whether to close a branch, ending in the arrest and conviction of one for assaulting the other by pulling her hair.

    Emotions run high around here over libraries, which is understandable. Best way to improve the quality of life and education of area residents is to open a library branch within walking distance.
    True story: In my hometown, the police station was burglarized. The burglars got away with a few pounds of marijuana that was being stored in an evidence room that had a window overlooking an alley........
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How biased is your news source?
    By RNG in forum Journalism
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 16th March 2018, 02:46 PM
  2. On line news source use changes
    By RNG in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25th October 2017, 12:13 PM
  3. Poll: Fox News most trusted news source for 'accurate information'
    By Spookycolt in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 21st October 2017, 08:31 PM
  4. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 13th May 2015, 07:23 AM
  5. Do You Trust Your News Source
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 27th October 2007, 05:19 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed