Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
Thanks Tree75Thanks

Thread: Read Almost Any News Source You Like, Free

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,290
    Thanks
    32311

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio

    Read Almost Any News Source You Like, Free

    If you join your local library, they will share with you any news sources they subscribe to digitally. If something you want is not on offer directly from them, you can usually access a statewide shared data base.

    This is a massive savings, if like me, you fritter money away on subscriptions that you don't track all that closely.

    Pretty cool, huh?

    You can even ask a research librarian to look up a fact for you and give you digital sources only.

    I love libraries, and librarians.
    Thanks from Babba, BigLeRoy, The Man and 1 others

  2. #2
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,959
    Thanks
    49428

    From
    So. Md.
    Yep. Libraries rawk!
    Thanks from Madeline and The Man

  3. #3
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    33,041
    Thanks
    28208

    From
    Colorado
    Best library EVER? The Great Library of Alexandria.

    Fanatics destroyed it.

    Set civilization back by a thousand years.
    Thanks from Madeline, Ian Jeffrey and labrea

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,290
    Thanks
    32311

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Best library EVER? The Great Library of Alexandria.

    Fanatics destroyed it.

    Set civilization back by a thousand years.
    The Roman Catholic church did that, if memory serves.

  5. #5
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,959
    Thanks
    49428

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    The Roman Catholic church did that, if memory serves.
    No, actually they think Julius Caesar's army might have and another Roman emperor later.
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #6
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,243
    Thanks
    11460

    From
    Colorado
    What's people's opinions on news organization charging a premium for news?

    The cost of holding those stories on a server is very low and the bandwidth to display it is also low.

    Back when paper news was the thing, papers cost as much as $1.00 for Sunday paper which accompanying advertising, paid for salary, printing costs, delivery etc.

    WSJ (as an example) charges up to $32 a month for subscription - after an introductory 12-week rate at $1 per week - and it covers the same costs, minus printing.
    Thanks from Madeline

  7. #7
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,641
    Thanks
    31335

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    What's people's opinions on news organization charging a premium for news?

    [snip]

    Back when paper news was the thing, papers cost as much as $1.00 for Sunday paper which accompanying advertising, paid for salary, printing costs, delivery etc.
    Advertising really paid for the whole thing. They probably cannot get enough advertising on the web page to replace what goes/went into the paper printings, notwithstanding that certain costs have gone down.

    Personally, it's annoying. Most of the free news sites suck anymore. The better ones are usually the newspapers that went internet.

    And either way, the thing that REALLY pisses me off about many news sites is that videos start automatically upon going to the site, usually when going to a particular article. It's extremely annoying, interferes with the music I've got playing, and generally harshes out my chill.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, labrea, RNG and 2 others

  8. #8
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,243
    Thanks
    11460

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Advertising really paid for the whole thing. They probably cannot get enough advertising on the web page to replace what goes/went into the paper printings, notwithstanding that certain costs have gone down.

    Personally, it's annoying. Most of the free news sites suck anymore. The better ones are usually the newspapers that went internet.

    And either way, the thing that REALLY pisses me off about many news sites is that videos start automatically upon going to the site, usually when going to a particular article. It's extremely annoying, interferes with the music I've got playing, and generally harshes out my chill.
    Yeah, good points. You're probably right.

    As for the video I couldn't agree more. If you are on Chrome in Android or desktop - try this https://9to5google.com/2018/02/15/ho...videos-chrome/

    You can disable autoplay on all websites.
    Thanks from boontito, Madeline and MeBelle

  9. #9
    Frecks1710 Frecks1710's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    176

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    If you join your local library, they will share with you any news sources they subscribe to digitally. If something you want is not on offer directly from them, you can usually access a statewide shared data base.

    This is a massive savings, if like me, you fritter money away on subscriptions that you don't track all that closely.

    Pretty cool, huh?

    You can even ask a research librarian to look up a fact for you and give you digital sources only.

    I love libraries, and librarians.
    I love libraries, too! I love books! I will never use a kindle, etc. I want a real book. My fantasy since I am a kid is to be locked up in one for a few days with water, bathroom, me and BOOKS!

  10. #10
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    33,041
    Thanks
    28208

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    No, actually they think Julius Caesar's army might have and another Roman emperor later.
    Actually, I guess, there is still some mystery or dispute about exactly what happened to the Great Library of Alexandria:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

    Still, it was a magnificent place in its heyday.
    Thanks from Madeline

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How biased is your news source?
    By RNG in forum Journalism
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 16th March 2018, 02:46 PM
  2. On line news source use changes
    By RNG in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25th October 2017, 12:13 PM
  3. Poll: Fox News most trusted news source for 'accurate information'
    By Spookycolt in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 21st October 2017, 08:31 PM
  4. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 13th May 2015, 07:23 AM
  5. Do You Trust Your News Source
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 27th October 2007, 05:19 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed