Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: Labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones over anthem threat

  1. #11
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32,844
    Thanks
    30372

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Employees are free to behave any way they like.

    Employers are free to fire their asses for such behavior they deem unacceptable.
    Not if the employees have a collective bargaining contract with the employer.
    Thanks from jacobfitcher and Pragmatist

  2. #12
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,603
    Thanks
    17304

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Not if the employees have a collective bargaining contract with the employer.

    Details matter.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,220
    Thanks
    3816

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    why is that nutty judge saying otherwise?
    No idea, I guess some are nutty.

  4. #14
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32,844
    Thanks
    30372

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Details matter.
    Yes, they do. You need just cause to fire someone who is working under contract. I'm not arguing that this will be a successful lawsuit, only that NFL players do have rights which are protected by federal labor laws, and do indeed belong to a union and work under a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL owners.
    Thanks from the watchman

  5. #15
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks
    302

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Yes, they do. You need just cause to fire someone who is working under contract. I'm not arguing that this will be a successful lawsuit, only that NFL players do have rights which are protected by federal labor laws, and do indeed belong to a union and work under a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL owners.
    I do not think that is applicable in this case for several reasons: Jones did not threaten to fire anyone and a grievance would be initiated after the firing. Being benched with pay is not actionable.

  6. #16
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32,844
    Thanks
    30372

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    I do not think that is applicable in this case for several reasons: Jones did not threaten to fire anyone and a grievance would be initiated after the firing. Being benched with pay is not actionable.
    Who cares what you think? According to your logic, an employer could dock an employee's pay for refusing to show up at the workplace in the nude.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  7. #17
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks
    302

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Who cares what you think? According to your logic, an employer could dock an employee's pay for refusing to show up at the workplace in the nude.
    I am having trouble reconciling your statement regarding my statement's logic:

    Being benched with pay is not actionable.
    Thanks from pragmatic

  8. #18
    Established Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7,914
    Thanks
    1345

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Yes, they do. You need just cause to fire someone who is working under contract. I'm not arguing that this will be a successful lawsuit, only that NFL players do have rights which are protected by federal labor laws, and do indeed belong to a union and work under a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL owners.
    Jones said he would bench them, not fire them.

    I think that he should make them go out and perform the macarena in pink tutus at half time.

  9. #19
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,338
    Thanks
    33188

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Employees are free to behave any way they like.

    Employers are free to fire their asses for such behavior they deem unacceptable.


    Ain't America great......!!!
    Really? So there isn't any employment law that might mitigate at least part of the sweeping generalization you're making here? I don't know about this particular case, but there are lots of ways to terminate employment unlawfully.

    I think the problem here is that Jerry Jones can order any player benched for a game. What he can't do is fail to PAY them for that game. That is, unless there's something in the CBA that allows him to do that.
    Thanks from the watchman

  10. #20
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32,844
    Thanks
    30372

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    I am having trouble reconciling your statement regarding my statement's logic:

    Being benched with pay is not actionable.
    I actually read the article linked in the OP. Nowhere in that article does it specify that the punishment threatened by Jerry Jones would consist of benching a player with pay. You have conveniently created that alternative fact straw-man out of thin air.
    Thanks from the watchman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 9th October 2017, 06:22 AM
  2. Seniors Group Files FCC Complaint Against CNN
    By John T Ford in forum Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 1st July 2017, 12:54 PM
  3. Jerry Springer files lawsuit against Trump and RNC...
    By NightSwimmer in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th March 2016, 09:48 AM
  4. Grayson files ethics complaint against McCarthy & Gowdy
    By BoiseBo in forum Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 7th October 2015, 11:29 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed