Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: Labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones over anthem threat

  1. #1
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,469
    Thanks
    39519

    From
    becoming more and more

    Labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones over anthem threat

    A labor union that represents workers in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana has filed a charge alleging that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has violated the National Labor Relations Act with his threats to discipline players if they protest during the national anthem.

    Wade Rathke, chief organizer of Local 100, accuses Jones of violating the act, which prohibits employers from intimidating or threatening workers for their "concerted activity."
    Labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones over anthem threat

    ok, as far as this goes, I'm a bit out of my league.

    See what I did there.

    No idea this was coming or than the players even qualified for protections under the National Labor Relation Act.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Amelia

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,260
    Thanks
    3821

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    A labor union that represents workers in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana has filed a charge alleging that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has violated the National Labor Relations Act with his threats to discipline players if they protest during the national anthem.

    Wade Rathke, chief organizer of Local 100, accuses Jones of violating the act, which prohibits employers from intimidating or threatening workers for their "concerted activity."
    Labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones over anthem threat

    ok, as far as this goes, I'm a bit out of my league.

    See what I did there.

    No idea this was coming or than the players even qualified for protections under the National Labor Relation Act.
    For the record, I don't give a shit about this stupidly petty made-up NFL controversy.

    But with that said, this complaint is a huge, moronic stretch. What was the NLRA referring to when it said employees can't be disciplined for their concerted activity?

    Anyone?

    Mr. ACORN (Wade Rathke) is being a silly little attention whore.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 10th October 2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Thanks from pragmatic

  3. #3
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,469
    Thanks
    39519

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    For the record, I don't give a shit about this stupidly petty made-up NFL controversy.

    But with that said, this complaint is a huge, moronic stretch. What was the NLRA referring to when it said employees can't be disciplined for their concerted activity?

    Anyone?

    Mr. ACORN (Wade Rathke) is being a silly little attention whore.
    again, this is out of league ( ha ha )...but:

    The National Labor Relations Act, the main labor policy governing labor relations in the United States, defines concerted activity in Section 7.

    Section 7 - Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection
    Thanks from Friday13

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,260
    Thanks
    3821

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    again, this is out of league ( ha ha )...but:
    Thumbs up for bringing in the accurate language, but I maintain that given the way that has been applied and interpreted for the last three quarters of a century, huge stretch. And that's aside from the fact that Mr. ACORN doesn't represent those athletes.

  5. #5
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,469
    Thanks
    39519

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Thumbs up for bringing in the accurate language, but I maintain that given the way that has been applied and interpreted for the last three quarters of a century, huge stretch. And that's aside from the fact that Mr. ACORN doesn't represent those athletes.


    why is that nutty judge saying otherwise?
    Thanks from Friday13

  6. #6
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    33,215
    Thanks
    30646

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    No idea this was coming or than the players even qualified for protections under the National Labor Relation Act.
    Why wouldn't they? They are employees. They even have a labor union of their own.
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #7
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,469
    Thanks
    39519

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Why wouldn't they? They are employees. They even have a labor union of their own.
    just never considered it. They have private contracts and guess I though that's what governs their employment.

  8. #8
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    33,215
    Thanks
    30646

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    just never considered it. They have private contracts and guess I though that's what governs their employment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rs_Association
    Thanks from the watchman

  9. #9
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,993
    Thanks
    17532

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Employees are free to behave any way they like.

    Employers are free to fire their asses for such behavior they deem unacceptable.


    Ain't America great......!!!

  10. #10
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,413
    Thanks
    315

    From
    Barsoom
    The player's union probably has a zero chance under the National Labor Relations Act. The act concerns collective bargaining, not protesting something extraneous to their job. The act is limited to specific employer/employee relationship issues, which is not the reason for the protests.

    The act: https://www.nlrb.gov/resources/natio...-relations-act
    Thanks from Sassy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 9th October 2017, 06:22 AM
  2. Seniors Group Files FCC Complaint Against CNN
    By John T Ford in forum Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 1st July 2017, 12:54 PM
  3. Jerry Springer files lawsuit against Trump and RNC...
    By NightSwimmer in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th March 2016, 09:48 AM
  4. Grayson files ethics complaint against McCarthy & Gowdy
    By BoiseBo in forum Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 7th October 2015, 11:29 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed