Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: I Think The Menendez Brothers Are Innocent

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29713

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    The phrase "did not kill their abusers" is key.
    This is undeniable.

  2. #32
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29713

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Far more than that from what I have read and seen. Including possible child abuse.

    The courts have spoken though so I don't know why this is even a "thing".
    It's just an interesting convo. I doubt the brothers have any appeals left.

  3. #33
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    42,124
    Thanks
    32603

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    It's just an interesting convo. I doubt the brothers have any appeals left.
    Agree. The parents did seem awful but still..FYI (cause it sounds like your interested in the case) I guess A&E is going to being airing a special at the end of this month called the Mendendez Bros. murders where I think it's all about Eric going on the record. Stuff like this fascinates me...I will be watching.
    Thanks from Madeline

  4. #34
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    44,018
    Thanks
    25547

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    This case is unusual, because they admitted the shooting but claimed they were not guilty due to their mental state. Battered child syndrome, imperfect self-defense, temporary insanity.....whatever.

    If they did it for greed, they're guilty. If they did it to end a lifetime of abuse, they're innocent (or guilty of a far less serious crime.)

    The reason I think so is because killing your parents is an extremely rare crime. Cold-blooded, premeditated murder of both parents is even more rare. And dual sibling assassins is unheard of to my knowledge.

    (Though there really is nothing new under the sun, and I am confident, it has happened before.)

    What is NOT rare is sadistic, almost unimaginable cruelty by parents towards their own children. And when abuse occurs in a wealthy family, the victims are FAR less likely to be believed, even less so rescued. And the father was a "self-made man", meaning nobody else in these brothers' lives was also wealthy. Nobody else had the personal power to defend the brothers if they had tried to mutiny on the parents.

    If I am right, two men are doing LWOP, stripped of all their parents' wealth, and have no claim on the public sympathy at all. They are despised as the evil entitled family anniliators that most horrified us as to how family can be a danger.

    Did they get a fair trial? Were they adequately represented?

    Did you ever suspect they might NOT be guilty? If they are innocent, do you care?
    Their accounting of events rang true for me. It was much like my experience ....

    Kinda a "you can't make that up thing" as far as their range of reactions.

    I believed them then and nothing has changed my mind since.
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #35
    Inside Your Heads syrenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    13,551
    Thanks
    6682

    From
    the sadness of my soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    "Murder" is a legal conclusion. By the time the first trial started, they admitted they shot them to death.

    But not every fatal shooting is a murder.




    IF they were killed during a beating.... they i would agree. As it is... that is not how it happened. They planned the killing and followed through with it. That is called premeditated murder.

  6. #36
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29713

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Their accounting of events rang true for me. It was much like my experience ....

    Kinda a "you can't make that up thing" as far as their range of reactions.

    I believed them then and nothing has changed my mind since.
    At the time, I thought they were complete liars, making up a set of allegations and reactions that Leslie Abramson had focused grouped and that had the unfortunate smell of a Hollywood production.

    But it always bothered me that the brothers admitted -- and forensics confirmed -- they both planned and shot the parents.

    If I heard about the outcry witnesses at the time, I don't recall now. But once I watched the latest miniseries, I developed doubts.

    I think Abramson was the wrong lawyer. They needed someone who could be trusted by the jury and who educated on the different, more evil impact of child abuse in wealthy families. This was what? 1992? Attitudes were very different then.

    It's very, very telling to me that a survivor like yourself heard truthfulness. Were you outraged by the guilty verdicts?

  7. #37
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    44,018
    Thanks
    25547

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    At the time, I thought they were complete liars, making up a set of allegations and reactions that Leslie Abramson had focused grouped and that had the unfortunate smell of a Hollywood production.

    But it always bothered me that the brothers admitted -- and forensics confirmed -- they both planned and shot the parents.

    If I heard about the outcry witnesses at the time, I don't recall now. But once I watched the latest miniseries, I developed doubts.

    I think Abramson was the wrong lawyer. They needed someone who could be trusted by the jury and who educated on the different, more evil impact of child abuse in wealthy families. This was what? 1992? Attitudes were very different then.

    It's very, very telling to me that a survivor like yourself heard truthfulness. Were you outraged by the guilty verdicts?
    Saddened more than outraged.

    It was very depressing. The helplessness of it all.
    Thanks from Madeline

  8. #38
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29713

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Saddened more than outraged.

    It was very depressing. The helplessness of it all.
    That is horrible of course, but what really upsets me is the entrenched bias that this cannot happen among wealthy people. It's the same reason I get upset when people seem confused as to whether women can commit child sexual assault.

    Like as if some humans are somehow guaranteed to be safe people. That mistake in thinking causes a terrible amount of misery.

  9. #39
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    33,864
    Thanks
    19383

    From
    Toronto
    Sadly, child on parent murders are not as uncommon as you might think... In Russia, there have been numerous killings and/or attempted killings of parents by children over video or computer games, for example: Russian Boy Knifes Parents for Refusing to Let Him Play 'World of Warcraft'

    In one especially disturbing incident back in 2010, a 14 year old in Krasnodar beat his dad to death with a sledgehammer (!) for trying to take his game away: Russian Boy Allegedly Kills Dad Over Video Game Ban | Fox News

    Kids can kill, even own parents, for all kinds of stupid reasons...
    Thanks from Madeline

  10. #40
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29713

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Sadly, child on parent murders are not as uncommon as you might think... In Russia, there have been numerous killings and/or attempted killings of parents by children over video or computer games, for example: Russian Boy Knifes Parents for Refusing to Let Him Play 'World of Warcraft'

    In one especially disturbing incident back in 2010, a 14 year old in Krasnodar beat his dad to death with a sledgehammer (!) for trying to take his game away: Russian Boy Allegedly Kills Dad Over Video Game Ban | Fox News

    Kids can kill, even own parents, for all kinds of stupid reasons...
    In the US, too, but I can't recall another case where two siblings were active in the murders.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bob Menendez charges, explained
    By Macduff in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th November 2017, 10:56 AM
  2. Sen Menendez trial gets underway
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16th October 2017, 01:41 PM
  3. Senator Menendez Indicted
    By excalibur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd April 2015, 04:41 AM
  4. Feds charging Senator Menendez with corruption
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 7th March 2015, 09:58 PM
  5. US Senator Robert Menendez 'faces corruption charge'
    By Donald Polish in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2015, 02:51 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed