Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: Don't Leave Town

  1. #11
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    22,331
    Thanks
    3710

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I can certainly believe that.

    But I disagree that the police immunity around lying to suspects stretches to all verbalizations, in whatever setting, to any civilian. Or that the status of "suspect" has much legal function, if any. To my mind, there is still only under arrest and not under arrest.

    The cops clearly could not legally threaten to falsely arrest a civilian in hopes of extracting information, or solicit a bribe, or offer protection in exchange for money.
    Well I was careful to leave out threats in my comments to you for that reason.

    The police however are allowed to lie to and intimidate suspects all they wish. I've had cops lie to be before - pretending to have evidence they never had to try and get me to confess to a crime I never committed. It of course didn't work - as I knew I was innocent - and told them I was being framed.. So the ploy failed. And this was done to me without me ever having been placed under arrest.

    My God it's 4 A.M. I have to get off here.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 14th November 2017 at 12:56 AM.
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,344
    Thanks
    29707

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Well I was careful to leave out threats in my comments to you for that reason.

    The police however are allowed to lie to and intimidate suspects all they wish. I've had cops lie to be before - pretending to have evidence they never had to try and get me to confess to a crime I never committed. If of course didn't work - as I knew I was innocent - and told them I was being framed.. So the ploy did not work. And this was done to me without me ever having been placed under arrest.
    Sure, I agree. But if the cops lied and said that if you didn't make certain admissions they were going to burn down your house, that is (one hopes) completely unconstitutional.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    22,331
    Thanks
    3710

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Sure, I agree. But if the cops lied and said that if you didn't make certain admissions they were going to burn down your house, that is (one hopes) completely unconstitutional.
    Yeah I doubt they could make threats like that and be on legal ground.

    Lies and intimidation are one thing. Threats is a whole different ball game - which is why I was careful to leave that off my list when I responded to you.

    /logs off ^^
    Thanks from Madeline

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46,043
    Thanks
    13385

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I have seen this trope in almost every crime tv show ever made.

    "You're free to go, but don't leave town", spoken by a cop to a suspect.

    Could this instruction ever have any force of law, outside the judicial system? And if not, how can cops get by with issuing demands that the law doesn't recognize?
    Free speech.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46,043
    Thanks
    13385

    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    Because.......TV? NO, they can't do that. They can ADVISE it, like if you leave town, you will have to come back/we will come get you, but no they can't just verbally issue a command like that.
    Sure they can do it. Whether or not you follow that advice is up to you.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46,043
    Thanks
    13385

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Okay, so you think it happens IRL? How could that be legal?

    The police have no special dispensation to intimidate and threaten civilians.

    If I tell my neighbor to sell up and move away, and imply I will harm him if he refuses, I probably have committed a crime.
    Yes it might be illegal to threaten your neighbor. The cop isn't doing that.

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,344
    Thanks
    29707

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Free speech.
    The government (as represented by its employees) has no free speech rights.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,344
    Thanks
    29707

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Yes it might be illegal to threaten your neighbor. The cop isn't doing that.
    No, and it isn't clear what the cop actually is threatening. But I think it is clear, the cop means to convey that if the civilian is uncooperative, he will be more likely to be targeted by the cops, guilty or not.

    Assuming that's true, is that a legal police act?

  9. #19
    New Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    111

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I have seen this trope in almost every crime tv show ever made.

    "You're free to go, but don't leave town", spoken by a cop to a suspect.

    Could this instruction ever have any force of law, outside the judicial system? And if not, how can cops get by with issuing demands that the law doesn't recognize?
    its usually just a mild threat letting the suspect/perp/hooligan know that the police will be watching (with the help of neighborhood watch organizations)
    Thanks from Madeline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. My town ranked safest town in the state
    By EnigmaO01 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11th October 2017, 06:52 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 2nd September 2016, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 75
    Last Post: 17th January 2014, 01:20 AM
  4. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 21st September 2010, 07:32 AM
  5. Bush Says We Will Leave When Iraqi Leaders Want Us To Leave. They Do.
    By Distressed American in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 381
    Last Post: 27th May 2007, 04:09 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed