Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: SCOTUS Justices & The Red Mass

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,280
    Thanks
    32302

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Like you said, they aren't at work so why do you get to dictate what they do in their off-time?
    I don't. I can still disapprove, though.

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,280
    Thanks
    32302

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Mass

    "A Red Mass is a Mass celebrated annually in the Catholic Church for judges, lawyers, law school professors, law students, and government officials. The Mass requests guidance from the Holy Spirit for all who seek justice, and offers the opportunity to reflect on what Catholics believe is the G*d-given power and responsibility of all in the legal profession."

    Note, however, that the Mass is held by the Catholic Church, not the government, and no one's attendance is compelled. There is no constitutional violation here. It is entirely different from using sectarian prayers in governmental functions, since this is not a governmental function.
    It's just terrible optics, IMO.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,459
    Thanks
    27537

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Mass

    "A Red Mass is a Mass celebrated annually in the Catholic Church for judges, lawyers, law school professors, law students, and government officials. The Mass requests guidance from the Holy Spirit for all who seek justice, and offers the opportunity to reflect on what Catholics believe is the G*d-given power and responsibility of all in the legal profession."

    Note, however, that the Mass is held by the Catholic Church, not the government, and no one's attendance is compelled. There is no constitutional violation here. It is entirely different from using sectarian prayers in governmental functions, since this is not a governmental function.
    Have any justices ever declined to go? I wonder how that would appear?

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,280
    Thanks
    32302

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Have any justices ever declined to go? I wonder how that would appear?
    Not that I am aware of. I'd be charmed if they did, but most Americans who notice would probably think it was bad manners.
    Thanks from bajisima

  5. #15
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,618
    Thanks
    31319

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Have any justices ever declined to go? I wonder how that would appear?
    Justice Ginsburg used to go, but now does not, according to the Wikipedia page. I do not know if the other non-Catholic Justices go or not. (Interestingly, there are 6 Catholic Justices, and 3 Jewish.)

    As to how it would "appear," I neither know nor care. Certainly, no one could compel a Justice to show.
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,280
    Thanks
    32302

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Justice Ginsburg used to go, but now does not, according to the Wikipedia page. I do not know if the other non-Catholic Justices go or not. (Interestingly, there are 6 Catholic Justices, and 3 Jewish.)

    As to how it would "appear," I neither know nor care. Certainly, no one could compel a Justice to show.
    It's a long, boring event and the seating is not comfortable.

    Not a fun time for an elderly lady.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 2nd March 2016, 03:39 AM
  2. How Many Justices Will Approve SSM?
    By Madeline in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 29th June 2015, 05:40 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th December 2014, 10:58 AM
  4. Justices Agree on Right to Own Guns
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20th March 2008, 05:49 AM
  5. Justices say Bush went too far at Guantanamo
    By bluesman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 29th June 2007, 11:06 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed