Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 105
Thanks Tree74Thanks

Thread: Is a DA Allowed To Give The Defendant The Stink Eye During Trial?

  1. #61
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,420
    Thanks
    31190

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Really? You must have forgotten the posts she threw out about the officers in the Tamir Rice case and you must have forgotten the ones where she came out talking how that CONFESSED murderer was innocent.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

    Quite a few confessions, including to murder, are false and falsely induced by law enforcement, and many have been exonerated based on actual evidence. Just because someone confesses does not mean he or she is actually guilty, which is just one of the reasons we have that part of the 5th Amendment that provides a person cannot be compelled to be a witness against himself in a criminal case.
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #62
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,420
    Thanks
    31190

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    I call it like I see it.
    No, you are making a personal attack in order to avoid dealing with the issue. Madeline is not the subject here.
    Thanks from Madeline

  3. #63
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,794
    Thanks
    3683

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Each episode of "Perry Mason" stands up alone, although they are more fun to watch in order. American YouTube has dozens of episodes for free; might could be British YouTube (Australian?) does as well.

    It's not yet available on any Roku channel. This show, and another called "Columbo" are just not yet/ever streamed, though both are sold as DVDs, I think.

    ("Columbo" was about a shabby, shambling, obsequious detective whom killers always rued having underestimated.)

    Amirite, @Sassy?

    @Leo2....surely you have seen a few episodes of "Twilight Zone"?

    Hosted and occasionally written by actual sci fi novelist, Rod Serling. Some episodes are campy, but many are "knock you out cold" mind-blowing. Serling was my brother's childhood hero.

    Fabulous theme music!
    @Madeline, I am ashamed to admit that I had heretofore, never even heard of either 'Perry Mason' or 'Twilight Zone', and had to Google them - both sound interesting.

    However, as council for the defence might submit in mitigation; my dad died when I was little, and I virtually 'grew up' in an English Public School (a private boarding school for those unfamiliar with the term). We were only allowed a limited amount of television each day, and for reasons best known to the Gestapo (otherwise known as the school authorities,) American content was unannehmbar und verboten. Further evidence in mitigation might rest upon the fact that I was born three years before the turn of the last century, and it is unlikely that US police and sci fi dramas produced in another country some forty years before my birth, would be showing on British television during my youth. And there, M'Lud rests the case for the defence.

    P.S: I never thought of looking on YouTube - shows how dumb I can be - but I will do.
    Thanks from Madeline

  4. #64
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    @Madeline, I am ashamed to admit that I had heretofore, never even heard of either 'Perry Mason' or 'Twilight Zone', and had to Google them - both sound interesting.

    However, as council for the defence might submit in mitigation; my dad died when I was little, and I virtually 'grew up' in an English Public School (a private boarding school for those unfamiliar with the term). We were only allowed a limited amount of television each day, and for reasons best known to the Gestapo (otherwise known as the school authorities,) American content was unannehmbar und verboten. Further evidence in mitigation might rest upon the fact that I was born three years before the turn of the last century, and it is unlikely that US police and sci fi dramas produced in another country some forty years before my birth, would be showing on British television during my youth. And there, M'Lud rests the case for the defence.

    P.S: I never thought of looking on YouTube - shows how dumb I can be - but I will do.
    You are in for a treat! As you discover high art among American tv circa 1950's and 1960's (and there's more...some shows I admire ran only one season, etc. Too unpopular when on the air for most Boomers to recall them), I have been wandering around the movies made before I was born.

    Great stuff, some of it!

    @Thx1138.....amirite?

    I was just thinking tonight, I wonder if there is also great tv and movies of the black abd white era overseas? There must be, surely, but my language skills are limited to English. The growth of libraries including English subtitled content is a game changer.

    @Paris.....have you seen the new "Maigret", made in English? Set in post-WWII Paris, this latest rendition is nothing like the campy, Agatha Christie-style knock offs In have seen before.
    Thanks from Leo2 and Thx1138

  5. #65
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    @Leo2.....I am so sorry you lost your Daddy so young. The adults who ran your boarding school hated for you to see American movies and films?

    Understandable. Yours is a very rich culture, and Hollywood has been cannibalizing culture since it's beginning.

    That's no different from Quebec parents who insist their homes be French-only. A popular culture consisting of nothing but homogeneous pap is a terrible injury to humans.

    Toddlers living in China who can recognize the Coca-cola logo and demand soda? That's horrible to my eye.
    Last edited by Madeline; 8th March 2018 at 04:35 PM.

  6. #66
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,794
    Thanks
    3683

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    You are in for a treat! As you discover high art among American tv circa 1950's and 1960's (and there's more...some shows I admire ran only one season, etc. Too unpopular when on the air for most Boomers to recall them), I have been wandering around the movies made before I was born.

    Great stuff, some of it!


    @Paris.....have you seen the new "Maigret", made in English? Set in post-WWII Paris, this latest rendition is nothing like the campy, Agatha Christie-style knock offs In have seen before.
    The new Maigret with Rowan Atkinson (of Black Adder and Mr Bean fame,) in the title role? Total brillo pads!
    Thanks from Madeline and BitterPill

  7. #67
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,420
    Thanks
    31190

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    @Madeline, I am ashamed to admit that I had heretofore, never even heard of either 'Perry Mason' or 'Twilight Zone', and had to Google them - both sound interesting.

    However, as council for the defence might submit in mitigation; my dad died when I was little, and I virtually 'grew up' in an English Public School (a private boarding school for those unfamiliar with the term). We were only allowed a limited amount of television each day, and for reasons best known to the Gestapo (otherwise known as the school authorities,) American content was unannehmbar und verboten. Further evidence in mitigation might rest upon the fact that I was born three years before the turn of the last century, and it is unlikely that US police and sci fi dramas produced in another country some forty years before my birth, would be showing on British television during my youth. And there, M'Lud rests the case for the defence.

    P.S: I never thought of looking on YouTube - shows how dumb I can be - but I will do.
    Well, you guys have some pretty good TV there, so in many cases you were not missing much. I still watch Doctor Who, and am a big fan of Monty Python.

    Perry Mason was iconic at the time, but does not qualify as a classic IMO. Twilight Zone, on the other hand, is a true classic and was unique at the time (and has never been equalled since).

  8. #68
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I do. I usually have a conversation with the screen saying "that's stupid!"

    Of course, I also watch real life lawyers. While in some states a show for the jury is expected (probably keeps them awake), in my state that is not how it is done. In my opinion and experience, that stuff can sometimes obscure the point to be made. In one trial I'm thinking of, the prosecutor did a little bit of a show at the closing argument, and I played it straight and made it conversational. (Yes, I won.)
    This is why Court TV failed. Gavel to gavel coverage of real trials was a genius idea. Production costs could not have been lower. Much hoopla was made by fans of true crime ("be the 13th juror!").

    But actual trials were NOTHING like the high drama that Hollywood peddles.

    Three days of authenticating documents is deadly boring, turns out, but that is the snooze-inducing excitement of 90% of trial work.

    At least IME.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  9. #69
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    The new Maigret with Rowan Atkinson (of Black Adder and Mr Bean fame,) in the title role? Total brillo pads!
    Is it a BBC production? Hot damn, your "state-controlled" tv industry is genius!

    Just think, if the US had done likewise as to t.v., we most likely would never have had the Preview of Hell known as "the Reagan Administration".
    Last edited by Madeline; 8th March 2018 at 05:36 PM.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Well, you guys have some pretty good TV there, so in many cases you were not missing much. I still watch Doctor Who, and am a big fan of Monty Python.

    Perry Mason was iconic at the time, but does not qualify as a classic IMO. Twilight Zone, on the other hand, is a true classic and was unique at the time (and has never been equalled since).
    I have been a "Perry Mason" fan since my parents first got a tv! (The show debuted when I was 4 years old. Not really sure when we got our first tv, although I certainly can recall what it looked like.)

    How DARE you say "it's not classic!" I am fed up with the elitism of you hardcore sci fi fans, so I will tell you what I told my brother (just this past week!)

    A film or tv need NOT be set in the future in order to be Great Literature and High Art!

    Lolol. okay?
    Last edited by Madeline; 8th March 2018 at 05:35 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 233
    Last Post: 29th November 2014, 03:04 AM
  2. BIRTHER filth TO stink up GOP CONVENTION
    By Stefan Bandera in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25th August 2012, 02:14 PM
  3. Chicago bomb defendant is cleared
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14th December 2007, 09:59 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed