View Poll Results: Would you commit crimes, if nobody could stop or arrest you?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 29.41%
  • No

    12 70.59%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
Thanks Tree43Thanks

Thread: Are humans predisposed to criminality and violence

  1. #11
    Master political analyst Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,063
    Thanks
    4451

    From
    The formerly great golden state
    Not everyone goes out and riots when the opportunity presents itself. Not everyone steals when the chances of being caught approach zero.

    But, some do.

    Why is that, I wonder? Are some of us inherently evil?
    Thanks from The Man

  2. #12
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,986
    Thanks
    23007

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Compassion, and the ability to be empathetic are also part of human nature.
    True but that goes away with stress and pressure. If people are starving or cold they wont be empathetic. Survival does kick in.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,986
    Thanks
    23007

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Mentally stable humans only become violent in response to certain circumstances. Yes, if society breaks down some will use violence in order to obtain what they need to survive. And some will use violence to gain dominance.
    Its rare that humans in general have needed to do so. Our existence has been very short, geologically speaking, so we really don't know what we would do in a terrible situation. Wars and such have brought out both the best and the worst in people but there again, soldiers are trained for that so there still is some level of civilization.
    Thanks from The Man

  4. #14
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    31,930
    Thanks
    17896

    From
    Toronto
    Well, another example, look at the Wild West in America. No law, except some local sheriffs. Everyone carried guns, because those who were unarmed were targets, basically. They'd be robbed and such, and killed, very likely. No?

    Of course, onevcan argue that a certain kind of people went out there back then, too. The kind predisposed to that sort of thing. Meaning, EVERYONE is not like that, yes.

  5. #15
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,650
    Thanks
    42811

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Well, another example, look at the Wild West in America. No law, except some local sheriffs. Everyone carried guns, because those who were unarmed were targets, basically. They'd be robbed and such, and killed, very likely. No?

    Of course, onevcan argue that a certain kind of people went out there back then, too. The kind predisposed to that sort of thing. Meaning, EVERYONE is not like that, yes.
    Most people had firearms for hunting. And they could be used for self-defense or even murder, of course. But many towns in the old West would confiscate firearms within the town limits.
    Thanks from The Man and labrea

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,928
    Thanks
    2409

    From
    California
    Mr. Man,

    If nobody could stop nor arrest you, would it be not a crime?
    Thanks from The Man

  7. #17
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,970
    Thanks
    1517

    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Compassion, and the ability to be empathetic are also part of human nature.
    If you "accidentally" drop a pen or something in front of a toddler who can barely speak, they'll get up and exert themselves to cross the room and pick up your pen and hand it back to you.
    Thanks from The Man, BigLeRoy and labrea

  8. #18
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    45,392
    Thanks
    21217

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    [M]any towns in the old West would confiscate firearms within the town limits.
    Indeed, Tombstone was famous for that (among other things, of course).
    Thanks from The Man and Babba

  9. #19
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    31,930
    Thanks
    17896

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Man,

    If nobody could stop nor arrest you, would it be not a crime?
    Not necessarily. If law enforcement structures break down due to some calamity, that doesn't mean the law itself ceases to exist...

    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    If you "accidentally" drop a pen or something in front of a toddler who can barely speak, they'll get up and exert themselves to cross the room and pick up your pen and hand it back to you.
    Heh... I think I will try that with my toddler, and see what happens lol

  10. #20
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,970
    Thanks
    1517

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Heh... I think I will try that with my toddler, and see what happens lol
    Bear in mind, a prerequisite for them to get up and help their fellow humans is actually noticing that you dropped your pen...
    Thanks from The Man and labrea

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. do EARTH-humans &'star wars-humans' share a common genesis?
    By Detective Mike Logan in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th December 2016, 01:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th May 2016, 07:13 PM
  3. Harry Reid agreed with Trump on criminality of illegals.
    By Goofball in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10th July 2015, 06:48 AM
  4. Gay men: Predisposed to sexually abuse minors?
    By Neomalthusian in forum Sexuality
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 14th April 2013, 08:29 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed