View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republicans will cave on DACA

    1 16.67%
  • The government will shut down again

    2 33.33%
  • We'll get another "kick the can" delaying tactic

    3 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Thanks Tree4Thanks

Thread: What happens on February 8th?

  1. #1
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,724
    Thanks
    32044

    From
    United States

    What happens on February 8th?

    That's when the current CR funding our federal government sunsets.

    Will we get a DACA bill passed prior to the deadline?

    If not, will Democrats come to McConnell's rescue again?

    Who will get the blame if we face yet another government shutdown?

  2. #2
    Wrinkly Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23,170
    Thanks
    21510

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    McConnell will lie about a future DACA vote again, and kick it all down the road again.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  3. #3
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,724
    Thanks
    32044

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    McConnell will lie about a future DACA vote again, and kick it all down the road again.
    The Senate already has 70 committed votes to pass DACA. I suspect McConnell would rather dump this nightmare onto Paul Ryan, and let the House take the credit for shutting down the government.
    Thanks from the watchman

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    23,666
    Thanks
    6112

    From
    midwest
    Schumer Shutdown part II.

  5. #5
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,724
    Thanks
    32044

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Schumer Shutdown part II.
    That's what the Democratic base wants. I don't think Schumer has ever wanted a shut down.

    Of the three institutions involved, the House, the Senate and the President, only one has openly called for the government to be shut down.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    11,414
    Thanks
    2848

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    That's when the current CR funding our federal government sunsets.

    Will we get a DACA bill passed prior to the deadline?

    If not, will Democrats come to McConnell's rescue again?

    Who will get the blame if we face yet another government shutdown?
    Mr. Swimmer,

    Democrats will resemble cheap suits.

  7. #7
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    33,724
    Thanks
    28527

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    The Senate already has 70 committed votes to pass DACA. I suspect McConnell would rather dump this nightmare onto Paul Ryan, and let the House take the credit for shutting down the government.
    That could very well be the most likely scenario. I'm thinking that both the house and the Senate give trump a scaled down wall funding and not all the killing of lottery immigration.

    More conservatives get what they want on immigration...but not as far as Trump wants to go.


    My thinking is that Congress may X Trump out of the deal even ready to over-ride any veto threat by Trump.


    If the House or McConnell do not deal on a DACA deal...a shut down will be on them.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  8. #8
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,724
    Thanks
    32044

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    That could very well be the most likely scenario. I'm thinking that both the house and the Senate give trump a scaled down wall funding and not all the killing of lottery immigration.

    More conservatives get what they want on immigration...but not as far as Trump wants to go.


    My thinking is that Congress may X Trump out of the deal even ready to over-ride any veto threat by Trump.


    If the House or McConnell do not deal on a DACA deal...a shut down will be on them.
    I think it will come down to the House. McConnell has too many members in his caucus who actually want to pass a DACA bill.

  9. #9
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    33,724
    Thanks
    28527

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I think it will come down to the House. McConnell has too many members in his caucus who actually want to pass a DACA bill.
    This is clearly moderate Republican and Democrat coalition. It may be that this coalition will pass any needed legislation over the objections of the WH and Freedom caucus.

    That is why Trump wanted the senate rules lowered to 51 simple majority.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    23,666
    Thanks
    6112

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    That's what the Democratic base wants. I don't think Schumer has ever wanted a shut down.

    Of the three institutions involved, the House, the Senate and the President, only one has openly called for the government to be shut down.
    Yeah, that's what the TEE VEE "news" is reporting.

    They say some of the Dem base is furious with Schumer.

    Gonna get some new Den candidates to run against the incumbents who allowed the gubmint to start operating again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GOP says DACA bill by February 8th
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 20th January 2018, 05:47 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16th January 2013, 01:12 PM
  3. The GOP primaries/caucuses in February 2012
    By bonncaruso in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd February 2012, 10:28 AM
  4. $222.5 billion in February
    By USA-1 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11th March 2011, 11:44 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed