Members banned from this thread: Devil505


View Poll Results: Should a sitting President be able to plead the 5th and remain as president?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    10 66.67%
  • Yes

    5 33.33%
  • Maybe - please include your opinion

    0 0%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: Should a sitting President be able to plead the 5th and remain as president?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,152
    Thanks
    34129

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Was Osama Bin Ladin an innocent man?
    Was Adolf Hitler?.....Lee Harvey Oswald?

    All of these men died without having been convicted in court of anything.
    Innocent unless proven guilty is a legal technicality and does not mean the perpetrator didn't commit the crime, right?

    Your argument is childishly ignorant. No surprise there.
    Nixon did not die an innocent man. He accepted a pardon from Jerry Ford.
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #62
    Moderator MeBelle's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    9,400
    Thanks
    3339

    From
    San Fran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Ok, fine ... but there really are not any consequences for him not appearing. And for an "informal interview" that has no subpoena power, it does not matter anyway.


    I disagree. Since his testimony can get him removed from office and put in jail, he absolutely retains the right to remain silent.
    ^^^ winner winner chicken dinner^^^ to the bold.

  3. #63
    Veteran Member EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,822
    Thanks
    9760

    From
    Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    That depends on what you mean by "defy." If you mean refuse to appear, no; but the only remedy for that is contempt, and contempt sanctions probably cannot be enacted against the president (while he holds office, at least). If you mean refuse to give evidence or testify, then yes, he can do that. He has an absolute right to not be a witness against himself, which means he can remain silent with impunity.
    Then the president really is above the law?

  4. #64
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,622
    Thanks
    19679

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    As far as I understand it, EVERYONE is entitled to plead the 5th. The president is neither above the law nor below it.
    Nothing would stop Trump the person from pleading the 5th.....but he should not be able to remain the chief law enforcement officer in the land if he does.

    The presidency is not a right regrdless of what rich Republicans think..

  5. #65
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    35,944
    Thanks
    7363

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Nothing would stop Trump the person from pleading the 5th.....but he should not be able to remain the chief law enforcement officer in the land if he does.

    The presidency is not a right regrdless of what rich Republicans think..
    You say that he should not be able to remain the chief law enforcement officer of the land if he does, do you have a law to use to remove him from that position?

  6. #66
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    30,712
    Thanks
    18887

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by MeBelle View Post
    I did edit and added a third option.

    Hacker.

    < reported >

  7. #67
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,325
    Thanks
    28516

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Then the president really is above the law?
    Nothing I wrote leads to such a conclusion. The law applies to him as with anyone else - including the 5th Amendment right to refuse to answer questions.
    Thanks from pragmatic

  8. #68
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I had no idea that we were discussing "legality" my point is while Trump CAN pleed he shouldn't.
    Hummmm.....why? Because it is politically unpalatable?

  9. #69
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Then the president really is above the law?
    No, the president has the same rights as any American. Plenty of people are convicted even after remaining silent. It's not a total barrier to justice.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Nothing would stop Trump the person from pleading the 5th.....but he should not be able to remain the chief law enforcement officer in the land if he does.

    The presidency is not a right regrdless of what rich Republicans think..
    That's a political question, not a legal one.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How long will Trump remain President?
    By Devil505 in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 6th June 2017, 03:12 PM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 26th February 2017, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th September 2014, 03:26 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29th January 2012, 05:04 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th March 2011, 03:36 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed