View Poll Results: Should a President's pardon power be limited?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    9 56.25%
  • No

    7 43.75%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54
Thanks Tree32Thanks

Thread: Should a President's pardon power be limited?

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,544
    Thanks
    21213

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    No. My argument is that we shouldn't go on a reactionary mission to toss out long established presidential powers simply because we elected a bunch of bigoted extreme right-wing nationalists to our Congress and our White House. The presidential powers aren't the problem. Our current President and congressional majorities are the problem.
    I see no cost/benefit reason to keep presidential pardons.

    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    There is a simple solution. Out-vote the assholes.
    To slow.
    Dangerous criminal Presidents can't continue to be unchecked for 4 years.

  2. #12
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,968
    Thanks
    38373

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I see no cost/benefit reason to keep presidential pardons.

    To slow.
    Dangerous criminal Presidents can't continue to be unchecked for 4 years.

    Fine. We can agree to disagree. It's not as if either of us have the power to change the law anyway -- although we do have the power to vote, and too many of us fail to wield that power effectively.
    Thanks from Devil505

  3. #13
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,431
    Thanks
    34077

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I see no benefit in allowing a prez to have any pardon power at all.
    https://www.congress.gov/resources/d...eralist+Papers

    See Federalist #74 in particular (which discusses the power directly), but also ##47 and 69, in which it has some mention.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,544
    Thanks
    21213

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/resources/d...eralist+Papers

    See Federalist #74 in particular (which discusses the power directly), but also ##47 and 69, in which it has some mention.
    There's a very good chance that Trump would not have won the EC without the criminal assistance of a fgn power and any pardons he issues should be null and void as he hasn't earned that authority legally.

    In any case, I see no reason why one person should have the authority to overrule the courts and juries decision about any case.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,544
    Thanks
    21213

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Looking at the result so far I wonder if any votes would change if Clinton was POTUS Right Now. (bet your ass they would)



    Last edited by Devil505; 15th April 2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Thanks from Friday13

  6. #16
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31,565
    Thanks
    19766

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Right now it has nor restrictions.
    Nope. The present policy has worked out up until now.

    Changing the rules (Constitutional?) just because you really hate Trump and Republicans would be sort of inappropriate.

  7. #17
    sending my tots and pears TennesseeRain's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    85,060
    Thanks
    55135

    From
    In the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    We have the mechanisms in place to deal with such abuses. Our form of government didn't cause the problem that we now face with a criminal President and an enabling Congress. We voted for this shit. The American electorate is what broke our nation, and only the American electorate can repair the damage.
    I disagree. The antiquated system whereby one person's vote counts more than another's is what broke our nation. Twice. Once, the black guy fixed it. This time? I'm not so sure.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,544
    Thanks
    21213

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Nope. The present policy has worked out up until now.

    Changing the rules (Constitutional?) just because you really hate Trump and Republicans would be sort of inappropriate.
    Not when we face the 2nd possible COTUS crisis at the hands of a criminal GOP POTUS who's party now refuses to agree that no one is above the law and believe in party over country.

    There are no Barry Goldwaters in today's GOP!

  9. #19
    sending my tots and pears TennesseeRain's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    85,060
    Thanks
    55135

    From
    In the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Nope. The present policy has worked out up until now.

    Changing the rules (Constitutional?) just because you really hate Trump and Republicans would be sort of inappropriate.
    How about changing the rules because they are subject to abuse by criminal presidents? Is that better?
    Thanks from Devil505 and Friday13

  10. #20
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31,565
    Thanks
    19766

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Not when we face the 2nd possible COTUS crisis at the hands of a criminal GOP POTUS who's party now refuses to agree that no one is above the law and believe in party over country.

    There are no Barry Goldwaters in today's GOP!
    Scooter Libbey's pardon translates to a Constitutional Crisis??

    Seems a little hyperbolic on your part.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. “And that is how power accrues to the president.”
    By Amelia in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 31st January 2017, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th December 2016, 01:09 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 08:48 PM
  4. Does The U.S. President Have The Power To Ban "Intelligent Design"?
    By Jaffas85 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st January 2008, 07:43 PM
  5. Senate Vote Will Pardon President Bush
    By Professor Bagelwood in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 03:08 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed