View Poll Results: Should a President's pardon power be limited?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    9 56.25%
  • No

    7 43.75%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54
Thanks Tree32Thanks

Thread: Should a President's pardon power be limited?

  1. #41
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Senior Member RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10,787
    Thanks
    6353

    From
    Between everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Did you say that when Obama was breaking records? More democrat double standards and hypocrisy

    https://www.dailysignal.com/2016/12/...th-78-pardons/

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...nt-in-history/
    That's clemency. He issued the fourth least pardons of all presidents.

    https://www.thoughtco.com/number-of-...sident-3367600
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,992
    Thanks
    20669

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Davocrat View Post
    What is a president's pardon power currently?
    No limits and no review..
    Thanks from Davocrat

  3. #43
    Above the FRAY Friday13's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,515
    Thanks
    15348

    From
    SoCal
    No person should be able to pardon him/her self, or their family...especially a president.
    Thanks from Devil505 and Davocrat

  4. #44
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,992
    Thanks
    20669

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Nope. The present policy has worked out up until now.

    Changing the rules (Constitutional?) just because you really hate Trump and Republicans would be sort of inappropriate.
    I seek to change the rules because 2 GOP Presidents have abused them causing great harm to our country. (Ford and Trump)

  5. #45
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,992
    Thanks
    20669

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday13 View Post
    No person should be able to pardon him/her self, or their family...especially a president.
    Him, herself or any co-conspirator.

  6. #46
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,579
    Thanks
    31300

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    There's a very good chance that Trump would not have won the EC without the criminal assistance of a fgn power...
    I'm not sure we can ever know the answer to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    ... and any pardons he issues should be null and void as he hasn't earned that authority legally.
    There is no legal basis for this position, much more so presently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    In any case, I see no reason why one person should have the authority to overrule the courts and juries decision about any case.
    That is what was addressed in the Federalist Papers I cited. In fact, part of the purpose of the pardon power - which used to be much more routine than it has become - was as a check on the judicial branch.
    Thanks from pragmatic

  7. #47
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,579
    Thanks
    31300

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    I have long thought that pardons of persons who were active in the current administration should not be allowed a pardon. The potential drawback is in case of an 8 year mandate, perhaps in the case of an obvious miscarriage of justice a correction would be delayed by at least 4 years.
    I would not even go with that. If there has been a miscarriage of justice, then a person should not have to sit around in jail just because he used to work for the president. That is kind of like reverse-favoritism, and is itself an unfair deprivation of liberty.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  8. #48
    Under Protest excalibur's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    10,844
    Thanks
    3457

    From
    The Milky Way
    The Constitution would need to be amended, and that ain't happening.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,992
    Thanks
    20669

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    The Constitution would need to be amended, and that ain't happening.
    The Congress would just have to be taken out of the hands of the criminals in Congress like Nunes.
    The will of the people can work wonders on courts.

  10. #50
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,579
    Thanks
    31300

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    The Congress would just have to be taken out of the hands of the criminals in Congress like Nunes.
    The will of the people can work wonders on courts.
    Um ... what?
    Thanks from pragmatic

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. “And that is how power accrues to the president.”
    By Amelia in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 31st January 2017, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th December 2016, 01:09 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 08:48 PM
  4. Does The U.S. President Have The Power To Ban "Intelligent Design"?
    By Jaffas85 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st January 2008, 07:43 PM
  5. Senate Vote Will Pardon President Bush
    By Professor Bagelwood in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 03:08 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed