View Poll Results: Should a President's pardon power be limited?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    9 56.25%
  • No

    7 43.75%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
Thanks Tree30Thanks

Thread: Should a President's pardon power be limited?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,793
    Thanks
    19774

    From
    Mass and Florida

    Should a President's pardon power be limited?

    Right now it has nor restrictions.

  2. #2
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    34,868
    Thanks
    29613

    From
    SWUSA
    It should be restricted to other people than the President himself. But since the Constitution does not list the President himself, one would consider that obvious.

    Maybe we should make that point crystal clear.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #3
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks
    4317

    From
    U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Right now it has nor restrictions.
    Only if it's a Democrat President.


    #PartyOverCountry
    Thanks from KnotaFrayed

  4. #4
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,114
    Thanks
    33541

    From
    United States

    Should a President's pardon power be limited?

    No. We shouldn't arbitrarily toss out our traditional norms of governance simply because the nation had a brain fart and elected a D-list wannabe gangster as President. This will pass.
    Thanks from Davocrat

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,793
    Thanks
    19774

    From
    Mass and Florida
    I'd Argue that it seems obvious that no President should be able to use his pardon power to obstruct justice or attempt to cover-up personal crimes.

    I see no benefit in allowing a prez to have any pardon power at all.

  6. #6
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,114
    Thanks
    33541

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I'd Argue that it seems obvious that no President should be able to use his pardon power to obstruct justice or attempt to cover-up personal crimes.

    I see no benefit in allowing a prez to have any pardon power at all.

    We have the mechanisms in place to deal with such abuses. Our form of government didn't cause the problem that we now face with a criminal President and an enabling Congress. We voted for this shit. The American electorate is what broke our nation, and only the American electorate can repair the damage.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,793
    Thanks
    19774

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    We have the mechanisms in place to deal with such abuses.
    What mechanism is in place to reverse a Trump pardon of Flynn, Manafort, Cohen and even himself if he should go that route?

    Even the SCOTUS has no authority to review pardons and presidential elections only occur at 4 year intervals.
    Last edited by Devil505; 15th April 2018 at 06:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,114
    Thanks
    33541

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    What mechanism is in place to reverse a Trump pardon of Flynn, Manafort, Cohen and even himself if he should got that route?

    Even the SCOTUS has no authority to review pardons and presidential elections only occur at 4 year intervals.

    Impeachment is the recourse of first resort. We've never yet attempted criminal proceedings against a sitting President, because this is the first time our electorate has had such a powerful brain fart.
    Thanks from Friday13

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,793
    Thanks
    19774

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Impeachment is the recourse of first resort. We've never yet attempted criminal proceedings against a sitting President, because this is the first time our electorate has had such a powerful brain fart.
    So your argument is that presidential crimes should go unpunished if partisan corruption has a stranglehold on Congress.....like it does now?

    Suppose Trump were to shoot Comey on national TV but the GOP Congress wouldn't impeach?

    Trump should remain president and a free man?
    (now assume that he sees he can get away with murder...so he extends his killing spree to McCabe, Mueller, Rosenstein and other perceived enemies?)
    Thanks from Friday13

  10. #10
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,114
    Thanks
    33541

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    So your argument is that presidential crimes should go unpunished if partisan corruption has a stranglehold on Congress.....like it does now?
    No. My argument is that we shouldn't go on a reactionary mission to toss out long established presidential powers simply because we elected a bunch of bigoted extreme right-wing nationalists to our Congress and our White House. The presidential powers aren't the problem. Our current President and congressional majorities are the problem.

    There is a simple solution. Out-vote the assholes.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and One

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. “And that is how power accrues to the president.”
    By Amelia in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 31st January 2017, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th December 2016, 01:09 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 08:48 PM
  4. Does The U.S. President Have The Power To Ban "Intelligent Design"?
    By Jaffas85 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st January 2008, 07:43 PM
  5. Senate Vote Will Pardon President Bush
    By Professor Bagelwood in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 03:08 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed