Members banned from this thread: John T Ford


View Poll Results: Should we lower the legal voting age to 16?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure. Why not?

    4 20.00%
  • Absolutely not!

    12 60.00%
  • We should raise it to 25.

    4 20.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59
Thanks Tree48Thanks

Thread: Should we lower the voting age?

  1. #21
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,575
    Thanks
    37134

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    No.

    18 is a reasonable cut-off.
    I agree. That's the age of majority for most things. Children shouldn't vote. Some might be capable of it, but that doesn't mean give all of them the opportunity--just like everything else in childhood.

    If more people in the 18-21 age group, who got the franchise most recently, voted, that might tilt the scale toward lowering the voting age, but since they don't....
    Thanks from Friday13 and Wonderer

  2. #22
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27,574
    Thanks
    4720

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    The legal age to vote, drink and buy firearms should be the same.
    Agreed.

    We need uniformity in the law when it comes to when a person is old enough to engage in adult behavior and when they aren't.

    It's a laughable inconsistency in our law when our society deems it appropriate for 18 year old's to join the military and operate heavy machine guns in combat yet aren't old enough to have a drink.

  3. #23
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,889
    Thanks
    32896

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    It's a laughable inconsistency in our law when our society deems it appropriate for 18 year old's to join the military and operate heavy machine guns in combat yet aren't old enough to have a drink.
    I believe they are more likely to kill innocent people through drunken negligence than in combat with guns.

    https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-she...inking-age.htm

    Now we need a study on guns. Voting would be harder to study, if it is at all possible. I agree that kids old enough to join the armed forces should be old enough to vote (whether or not they actually join).

  4. #24
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27,574
    Thanks
    4720

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I believe they are more likely to kill innocent people through drunken negligence than in combat with guns.

    https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-she...inking-age.htm

    Now we need a study on guns. Voting would be harder to study, if it is at all possible. I agree that kids old enough to join the armed forces should be old enough to vote (whether or not they actually join).
    I would suggest that any individual who isn't responsible enough to drink isn't responsible enough to operate a heavy machine gun or Assault rifle either.

    It's going to be an arbitrary determination in any case because individuals mature at different ages. That's why I ere on the side of caution and say the age should move up (not down).

    For example: if we as a society have come across sufficient evidence to say individuals need to be 21 before they are able to drink responsibly - it seems to me that age ought then to carry over to all adult behavior.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  5. #25
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,166
    Thanks
    7796

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    The legal age to vote, drink and buy firearms should be the same.
    Yes, they should all be the same as the age to join the military.
    Thanks from bajisima and Wonderer

  6. #26
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,166
    Thanks
    7796

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    21?
    At 18, you are old enough to enlist, fight and possibly die for your country. At that point you should be old enough for all adult activities.
    Thanks from bajisima

  7. #27
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,166
    Thanks
    7796

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Interesting.
    clueless?

  8. #28
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,026
    Thanks
    37264

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    At 18, you are old enough to enlist, fight and possibly die for your country. At that point you should be old enough for all adult activities.

    As I recall, that was the strongest argument for lowering the voting age to 18. Most states also lowered the drinking age to 18 or 19 during that same time period. Then, the federal government threatened to cut off highway funding to states that maintained a drinking age of less than 21. The age of majority for entering into contracts in my state is 19, so we effectively have 3 different ages marking adulthood. 18 is also our legal age for marriage without parental consent.

  9. #29
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,889
    Thanks
    32896

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Then, the federal government threatened to cut off highway funding to states that maintained a drinking age of less than 21.
    Actually, it was only 5% of federal highway funds. There was a Supreme Court case about it, South Dakota v. Dole, 483 U.S. 203 (1987). A total cutoff, according to Dole, would have been unconstitutional.

    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    The age of majority for entering into contracts in my state is 19...
    That sounds very unusual. Why not 18? Do you know?

    Note, though, that there are situations in which a contract made by a minor can and would be upheld.
    Thanks from Wonderer

  10. #30
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,026
    Thanks
    37264

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Actually, it was only 5% of federal highway funds. There was a Supreme Court case about it, South Dakota v. Dole, 483 U.S. 203 (1987). A total cutoff, according to Dole, would have been unconstitutional
    Yes. I never really meant to imply that all federal funding would be cut, but the threatened 5% decrease was adequate motivation. I'm not aware of a state that still allows a person under the age of 21 to legally purchase alcohol.




    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    That sounds very unusual. Why not 18? Do you know?
    If I recall correctly, Alabama lowered the overall age of majority from 21 to 19 when they allowed sales of alcohol to 19 year olds. When they were later pressured into raising the drinking age back to 21, they didn't change the age of majority. Many in the state legislature were angry over having the feds interject themselves into state law, and there was a protest movement during debate within the legislature to raise the drinking age to something like 65. Of course, in the end, that proposal didn't pass.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Job Creation Lower in 2016 than 2015, 2015 lower than 2014
    By Libertine in forum Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th January 2018, 05:30 PM
  2. Just when you think gop can,t get much lower
    By Isalexi in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd March 2015, 01:56 PM
  3. Morale never been lower
    By PGreen in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd December 2014, 02:04 AM
  4. Lower the Voting Age?
    By Kropotkin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 21st May 2011, 05:07 AM
  5. Lower the Voting Age?
    By Kropotkin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 20th May 2011, 04:56 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed