Members banned from this thread: Spookycolt


View Poll Results: Should there be a limit to how much society spends to extend a life?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no limit to the amount that society is obligated to pay to extend a life.

    5 29.41%
  • There must be a limit to the amount paid by society to delay a person's inevitable demise.

    12 70.59%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 162
Thanks Tree79Thanks

Thread: Should there be a limit on what society should pay to extend a life?

  1. #41
    Newm' Embre orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,608
    Thanks
    343

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Your question makes no sense. Of course there is a point where society should not pay for every possible thing that could help you live longer, but why would you want the government making that choice?
    I don't want government making that choice. I'd prefer whomever is funding the treatment to make that choice. You can't have it both ways. If the government is paying the tab (via tax dollars and debt), then the government will be deciding when to cut people off, aka death panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Also, are you talking about limits to medical insurance?
    No, but all insurance has limits, so there's no need to really discuss that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Great, we can just let these uninsured people go back to being treated at the ER and handing the tax payers the final bill.
    Go back? That hasn't stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    It's like some people are willfully ignorant to medical insurance and how this calamity was propounded in the first place.
    What calamity? Unaffordable medical care?
    Thanks from MeBelle

  2. #42
    Newm' Embre orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,608
    Thanks
    343

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I dunno.....what did Jesus tell you to do?
    Jesus doesn't speak to me. Does he talk to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    What does your conscience tell you?
    My conscience tells me to help those I feel deserving of help. What does yours tell you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    If someone in my family falls ill, I do what I can. Not everyone has that type of willingness to be selfless, though.
    Maybe not everyone, but most normal people do what they can to help ill family members. Even friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    In fact, most people nowadays are rather self-centered.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    You're responsible for your own life? What exactly does that mean?
    That means if I'm hungry, feed myself. If I need medical care, I arrange to get medical care. If I can't afford the things I want, I find a way to make more money. If i break the law, I accept the consequences. The list could go on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    You live in a community and presumably, that community is inter-dependent upon each of its members.
    Indeed. I work and earn money to pay for the services of others, who do different work for my money. That's how a free society's economy works.

  3. #43
    SPOCK! Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,131
    Thanks
    9043

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Some people would burn through that very quickly and our bleeding-heart liberal friends would be right back at their marxist solution trough.
    You are a disingenuous hack to suggest that this is a 'liberal' platform. We currently have a Republican house, Senate AND A FUCKING nutter (R) president. Why haven't they fixed this for you? Because this is a dead issue -- social programs are for republicans and democrats alike. They aren'y going anywhere.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 31st May 2018 at 06:16 PM.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  4. #44
    SPOCK! Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,131
    Thanks
    9043

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote me ten more times in a row, I love it!

  5. #45
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,432
    Thanks
    31197

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Actually, I care quite a bit about other people. I just don't wear it on my sleeve or use it as a moral bat to bludgeon people who disagree with me politically.
    So ... "thoughts and prayers," right? (If that?)
    Thanks from OldGaffer and NeoVsMatrix

  6. #46
    SPOCK! Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,131
    Thanks
    9043

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Actually, I care quite a bit about other people. I just don't wear it on my sleeve or use it as a moral bat to bludgeon people who disagree with me politically.
    I disagree -- you care about conservatives, but only when they are useful to you. You kick the people who used to stand up for you to the curb once they have outlived their 'use by date.' How do I know that? I dunno....some useful idiot, liberal ex-friend of yours told me.

  7. #47
    Newm' Embre orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,608
    Thanks
    343

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    You are a disingenuous hack to suggest that this is a 'liberal' platform.
    Liberals tend to support wealth redistribution from those with means to those with needs to facilitate everyone having healthcare. Do you deny this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    We currently have a Republican house, Senate AND A FUCKING nutter (R) president. Why haven't they fixed this for you?
    I don't expect them to fix it for me. They repealed the individual mandate. I'm perfectly satisfied with just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Because this is a dead issue -- social programs are for republicans and democrats alike. They aren'y going anywhere.
    I don't want them to go anywhere. I want participation to be voluntary and access to be more strictly monitored for abuse.

  8. #48
    Newm' Embre orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,608
    Thanks
    343

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Quote me ten more times in a row, I love it!
    I like to respond point by point. You pack a lot of contentions in each post.

  9. #49
    Newm' Embre orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,608
    Thanks
    343

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    So ... "thoughts and prayers," right? (If that?)
    Thoughts? Sure, but that accomplishes nothing.
    Prayers? Nope. Not my bag.
    Money and time? Yes, to those I find deserving.

  10. #50
    SPOCK! Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,131
    Thanks
    9043

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    I like to respond point by point. You pack a lot of contentions in each post.
    I don't like you.


Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trump's Woes Extend Beyond US Borders
    By Frank in forum Current Events
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 25th October 2016, 07:39 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 16th November 2014, 06:44 PM
  3. Unemployment benefits: To extend or not to?
    By bajisima in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10th December 2013, 05:09 AM
  4. Replies: 402
    Last Post: 15th February 2013, 09:22 AM
  5. Canada may extend Libya mission
    By jackalope in forum World Politics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st August 2011, 08:41 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed