View Poll Results: Do you believe Trump's Commerce Dept's strong economy numbers?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes....

    2 50.00%
  • No..

    1 25.00%
  • Not Sure

    1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Do you believe Trump's Commerce Dept's strong economy numbers?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,617
    Thanks
    21283

    From
    Mass and Florida

    Do you believe Trump's Commerce Dept's strong economy numbers?

    The Commerce Dept does what Trump tells them to report.
    Don't believe a word coming from this corrupt admin.

  2. #2
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    40,021
    Thanks
    38440

    From
    United States
    Meh. The economy is no "stronger" today that it has been for the past few years. What is there to disbelieve?
    Thanks from DebateDrone and MaryAnne

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,617
    Thanks
    21283

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Meh. The economy is no "stronger" today that it has been for the past few years. What is there to disbelieve?
    Today's numbers

  4. #4
    New Member Gateman Wen's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    46

    From
    Kansas
    Quarterly fluctualtions, even if true, don't equal yearly GDP. Preisdent Obama busted the 4% mark me eral quarters during his administration and even hit 5% once iirc.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  5. #5
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    51,688
    Thanks
    37090

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Gateman Wen View Post
    Quarterly fluctualtions, even if true, don't equal yearly GDP. Preisdent Obama busted the 4% mark me eral quarters during his administration and even hit 5% once iirc.
    The last time we had growth that matched was in 2014. I am sure Trump is responsible for that.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  6. #6
    Bad Policy Good Politics DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37,925
    Thanks
    33051

    From
    Border Fence
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Today's numbers
    I believe todays numbers, I don't believe the are as Trump characterizes them as "record numbers" or a complete indication of the economy.

    GDP is good indicator, but there are so many other factor to give good GDP numbers.

    Some people believe the June number was due to tariff buying. Stocking up before tariffs went fully into effect.

    I believe June's number was a bump to tax cuts.

    Now if GDP goes into the 5.0 for the rest of the year, and Trump pays down the debt, supply side works.


    The GDP growth rate is expected to remain between the 2 percent to 3 percent ideal range. Unemployment is forecast to continue at the natural rate. There isn't too much inflation or deflation. That's a Goldilocks economy.


    President Trump promised to increase economic growth to 4 percent. That's faster than is healthy. Growth at that pace leads to an overconfident irrational exuberance. That creates a boom that leads to a damaging bust. The factors that cause these changes in the business cycle are supply, demand, capital availability, and the marketís perception of the economic future.
    https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669
    Last edited by DebateDrone; 27th July 2018 at 05:47 AM.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,152
    Thanks
    29152

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    I believe todays numbers, I don't believe the are as Trump characterizes them as "record numbers" or a complete indication of the economy.

    GDP is good indicator, but there are so many other factor to give good GDP numbers.

    Some people believe the June number was due to tariff buying. Stocking up before tariffs went fully into effect.

    I believe June's number was a bump to tax cuts.

    Now if GDP goes into the 5.0 for the rest of the year, and Trump pays down the debt, supply side works.



    https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669
    The problem with a higher GDP is that its backward looking. So companies see it and say "wow I am going to buy equipment and hire." Which is great if the global market can handle it. But eventually it cant. Then they have gone deep into debt assuming everything is great. Remember how great things were in 2006 and 2007. Things changed on a dime.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  8. #8
    Bad Policy Good Politics DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37,925
    Thanks
    33051

    From
    Border Fence
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    The problem with a higher GDP is that its backward looking. So companies see it and say "wow I am going to buy equipment and hire." Which is great if the global market can handle it. But eventually it cant. Then they have gone deep into debt assuming everything is great. Remember how great things were in 2006 and 2007. Things changed on a dime.
    I added on to that post to kinda hit that point. ...thanks
    Thanks from bajisima

  9. #9
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    423

    From
    Ford, Washington
    I see "Hiring" signs everywhere in Washington state. I'm retired, but work part time in the car business, and everyone is saying the same thing. Business is very good. The car business is a very good barometer of the economy.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    38,349
    Thanks
    7835

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    I too see Help Wanted signs everywhere. I also see that the wage offered is increasing to fill those positions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th February 2018, 04:17 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th February 2018, 04:08 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th December 2017, 06:09 AM
  4. Replies: 340
    Last Post: 19th August 2017, 09:13 PM
  5. Trump points to job numbers, strong economy after media attacks
    By Think for myself in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd July 2017, 07:23 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed