Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
Thanks Tree15Thanks

Thread: Man Made Rules, Not God!

  1. #21
    Senior Member Loki's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,426
    Thanks
    1972

    From
    East coast USA
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Bull. One is born knowing right from wrong. One is born with rights. Inalienable means not alien. God created mankind with those simple rules.
    You say that with authority that your statement is fact.
    There is zero evidence a deity ever did anything. Zero evidence prayer does anything but calm the bearer.
    Evolution is a proven fact. If one asserts a deity started it, then that deity is called the Sun since the big hot ball probably was thought the first deity.

  2. #22
    One
    One is offline
    Former Staff One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,099
    Thanks
    1486

    From
    Warshington St
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I would guess it was personality type. I can spot people whom share my thoughts or personality type. Is it a gift, no, just obsevance. Sadly, Ronin and lokigragg have been infrequent here as of late. This does not surprise me. For it is logical reasonable is our type.
    One is introvert and the other extrovert. The difference is external and internal. Meaning is one outgoing or shy. Perhaps too simplistic. Yet, the type is indistinguishable on websites. In person, yes.
    Actually, lokigragg has been spending his time at banned camp lately.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  3. #23
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,584
    Thanks
    479

    From
    Powerhouse, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    This is a subject that I have always been interested and agree with.

    After watching a very good show on PBS this morning about how a person's belief is programmed in one part of the brain,I consider this an article worth reading.

    https://www.politicususa.com/2014/02...n-decided.html
    link doesn't work for me, can you offer a brief synopsis?

  4. #24
    Senior Member Fishy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,502
    Thanks
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    This is a subject that I have always been interested and agree with.

    After watching a very good show on PBS this morning about how a person's belief is programmed in one part of the brain,I consider this an article worth reading.
    From the article you liked to:

    Even something as commonplace as the trinity, something Christians today take for granted, was a matter for debate in the ancient world – when anybody was thinking about it at all. Neither Paul nor Jesus knew anything about any sort of “trinity.” For instance, when Paul mentions baptism, it is not through the “father, son and the holy ghost” but “into Christ” (Rom. 6.3, Gal. 3.27) and in Acts, baptism is “into” or “in the name of” Jesus (Acts 2.38, 8.16, 10.48, 19.5) without any mention of the Holy Spirit.

    The word “trinity,” in fact, does not even make so much as a single appearance in the New Testament and where the word “God” appears in the New Testament it refers invariably to YHWH, the Midianite become Jewish God that Jesus and his disciples all worshipped as Jews. Mention of “the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” in Matt. 28.18-20 is not original to the Gospel but a later addition to the text by Gentile Christians.[3]

    I think this is wrong. The Bible contains much evidence for the trinity. That's why the doctrine was accepted almost unanimously at the Nicene Council.

    The Holy Trinity in Scripture

  5. #25
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    20,404
    Thanks
    5883

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    I tell you what you do bright guy, show mw a bad infant. ....
    What stops an infant from being "bad" are purely physical limitations. As soon as a child is physically capable of misbehaving, the child will ... or may not. It all depends on the child's genetics and environment (nature and nurture).

  6. #26
    Senior Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    12,835
    Thanks
    3347

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Obviously, not you. You prefer to be misinformed, opinionated and just plain wrong. No one is born knowing right from wrong, because right and wrong vary from society to society, and the mores of a particular society are passed to each generation. In New Guinea, eating people was considered good and right, in the Amazon shrinking their heads was the highest honor, and you can look throughout history at the diversity of what is considered right and wrong. You never get past a bumper sticker depth on any of your posts.
    Yeah, its kind of pointless to argue with people that say otherwise, as its just fact that people are not born with sense of right and wrong. Kids behave poorly all the time, cry, don't share, may hit others, etc. They have to learn the right and wrong from parents. This is fact.

    Plus, also fact, there is no universal right and wrong. Everybody has differetn views of right and wrong. People in the same religion have different views of right and wrong. It's subjective and not universal.

    And I believe totally in a hard wiring aspect, I never believed. Even when made to go to church. Same with my brother. My sister is spiritual but not religious. I think there are people that are just unwilling to throw out the rational part of their minds to believe religion. And this is to say that there is nothing wrong with having that faith ability and mindset. I have found most scientists (research scientist, differnet from doctors) are not religious. I think again the scientific mind that can try to search for answers to the unknown and make them successful as scientists also makes them less susceptible to faith

  7. #27
    Senior Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    12,835
    Thanks
    3347

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    We are all products of our culture, whatever that culture may be. If you were born in Bangladesh instead of here in the US you too could be working for 5 cents an hour and beaten if you complain.
    Yup, I always thought about that and grateful for how I was raised. I could of been raised in Afghanistan or something and become a terrorist. I know a lot of the people that believe in fantasy would disagree, but that's simply the truth. Life experiences, how one is raised, has a huge part in determining the type of person they are. Genetics also plays another part. Sometimes genetics could overcome being badly raised, and sometimes it has the opposite effect.

    These are undeniably facts

  8. #28
    Senior Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10,823
    Thanks
    6462

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    I am a solid introvert but I am not shy. I have no problems communicating with strangers. I have no fear of public speaking and I have done it many times as my work requires it on a daily basis. So introvert does not equal "shy". They are two different things.

    The introvert part of me is that I don't share personal feelings and emotions with anyone unless I choose to do so and that is rare to the point of almost non-existent.
    Yes,the introvert can also be totally happy with his own company. I am a mix,extrovert when in company.totally happy being by myself. But not sure what all this has to do with man made rules on Religion.

    Those who post on the board that show so much anger must have problems in real life they can not resolve. Other wise,they would get tired of looking like fools on these boards!
    Thanks from RedCloud

  9. #29
    Senior Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10,823
    Thanks
    6462

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    From the article you liked to:

    Even something as commonplace as the trinity, something Christians today take for granted, was a matter for debate in the ancient world – when anybody was thinking about it at all. Neither Paul nor Jesus knew anything about any sort of “trinity.” For instance, when Paul mentions baptism, it is not through the “father, son and the holy ghost” but “into Christ” (Rom. 6.3, Gal. 3.27) and in Acts, baptism is “into” or “in the name of” Jesus (Acts 2.38, 8.16, 10.48, 19.5) without any mention of the Holy Spirit.

    The word “trinity,” in fact, does not even make so much as a single appearance in the New Testament and where the word “God” appears in the New Testament it refers invariably to YHWH, the Midianite become Jewish God that Jesus and his disciples all worshipped as Jews. Mention of “the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” in Matt. 28.18-20 is not original to the Gospel but a later addition to the text by Gentile Christians.[3]

    I think this is wrong. The Bible contains much evidence for the trinity. That's why the doctrine was accepted almost unanimously at the Nicene Council.

    The Holy Trinity in Scripture
    But the Bible was written by men over much time and often contradicts. Of course another explanation for contradiction is that each book was written by another who observed different things. But all in mans version of what happened. The trinity may have been created by God,but man formed it in his name.
    Thanks from RedCloud

  10. #30
    Senior Member RedCloud's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    812

    From
    North Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by angryamerican View Post
    Thats because men make rights...noone is born with a single right.
    I respectfully disagree with you. I think everyone is born with all possible rights and it is manmade rules which limit those rights. The manmade rules are necessary in order to have a civilization.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed