Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 193
Thanks Tree30Thanks

Thread: Does the present actually exist?

  1. #181
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    281

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    Still trying to sell the old "People and dinosaurs living at the same time, the universe is only 6,000 years old" thing, eh?
    What????

    When did I ever claim such a preposterous thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    Still comparing "scientific theories" to just some idea that light speed changes to accommodate your Bible-centric view of the world, based on nothing except your desire for that to be true?
    You mean the many peer-reviewed papers on vsl (I posted 2) are bible-centric? Did you even read them?

    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    You can believe whatever you want, of course. But there is science, and then there is magic. Science operates according to a defined set of principles. If you want to believe in magic there is no need to argue. Just believe whatever you want. That's what I do. There is no need to step up here and pretend it's science, though.
    And vsl is a legitimate scientific theory.

    Just because I mentioned creation and annihilation of matter and energy, you automatically think I subscribe to this 6000-year creationism nonsense? Why don't you read the paper first before making judgments. You are making a fool of yourself.

  2. #182
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,410
    Thanks
    6523

    From
    ===hiding in th3 rafters===
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    Still trying to sell the old "People and dinosaurs living at the same time, the universe is only 6,000 years old" thing, eh?

    Still comparing "scientific theories" to just some idea that light speed changes to accommodate your Bible-centric view of the world, based on nothing except your desire for that to be true?

    You can believe whatever you want, of course. But there is science, and then there is magic. Science operates according to a defined set of principles. If you want to believe in magic there is no need to argue. Just believe whatever you want. That's what I do. There is no need to step up here and pretend it's science, though.
    Wow, you hit the nail right on the head. Was wondering what was driving this silliness. Thanks.

  3. #183
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,410
    Thanks
    6523

    From
    ===hiding in th3 rafters===
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    Again, what part of acceleration don't you understand? If you are accelerating your car, do you expect it go faster or slow down?
    I accelerate until I hit my cars top speed, then, even if I hit the accelerator, my car has topped out.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 17th March 2017 at 08:52 AM.

  4. #184
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,410
    Thanks
    6523

    From
    ===hiding in th3 rafters===
    You have to be able to "test" a theory. A theory is only a theory, though, until it is does not follow what we already know to be law. If the theory does not stand up to being tested, it's no longer a theory, it's crap.

    The central theme of Relativity Theory is that everything in the universe is relative EXCEPT the speed of light which is the only constant in the universe.

    Let me repeat this once again for those who believe otherwise: "the speed of light is the only constant in the universe."

    If stand on a chair and say it, it still comes out the same way. If you yell it at your neighbors in an argument, it still has the same meaning.

    If I whisper it to my partner during sex, guess what? Right!!!! You cannot be fucking serious to try and tell the good people of PH, that the speed of light is a variable, there is no proof of that. As long as light is traveling I a vacuum, it is ALLWAYS the same speed.

    Good luck with that variable speed nonsense. Now, please C&P some more mathematical equations that you found on the Internet. Next time, make sure you copy the right one, because light photons are mass-less particles, they are not expressed as containing M so M will not be factored in.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 17th March 2017 at 08:52 AM.

  5. #185
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,269
    Thanks
    1750

    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    Just because I mentioned creation and annihilation of matter and energy, you automatically think I subscribe to this 6000-year creationism nonsense? Why don't you read the paper first before making judgments. You are making a fool of yourself.
    I don't know how far back PH goes, but my memory goes back a good long way. I've heard this drivel before and it's always ALWAYS trotted out in order to invalidate the age of the universe, to try to tear down existing science to the point that it is equivalent to that Genesis fantasy in the Bible. If they are equally unproved, then we have to teach both in science class, right?? For that matter, we can make laws based on Bible science, too, can't we? SURE WE CAN!!! This should be fun, eh? Instead of reason and truth our laws will be guided by religious debates. The installation of anti-science types into important scientific roles within government is disheartening evidence that this assault continues unabated.

    Next stop: Jabberwocky.

  6. #186
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    281

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Wow, you hit the nail right on the head. Was wondering what was driving this silliness. Thanks.
    Let me dumb this down for the both of you.

    https://medium.com/starts-with-a-ban...f3d#.fpekgak9n

    Indeed, what about the speed of light? Sure that invisible barrier — the one that keeps all forms of matter from moving beyond a certain speed — would kick in, and prevent the galaxies from receding beyond a certain point, wouldn’t it? Time would asymptote and cease to pass as you approached that speed, and is forever forbidden from passing at a rate less than zero, otherwise these galaxies would be moving back in time, right?

    You might think so, but we’ve left out an important piece of the puzzle. The speed of light only applies, as a limit, to objects moving relative to one another at the same location in space.

    ....But out there in the distant Universe, these galaxies aren’t really moving at all. Rather, the space between them is expanding, but the individual galaxies themselves are somewhat stationary with respect to space themselves.

    ...So yes, as time goes on, all the objects that are caught up in the expansion of the Universe will accelerate away from us, faster and faster. Let enough time go by, and all of them will eventually wind up receding faster than the speed of light, unreachable by us in principle, no matter how fast of a rocket we build or how many signals we launch and the speed of light itself.

    Is the universe expanding faster than the speed of light? (Intermediate) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

    Some of the misunderstandings surrounding this topic might come from confusion over what is meant by the universe "expanding faster than the speed of light." However, for the simplest interpretation of your question, the answer is that the universe does expand faster than the speed of light, and, perhaps more surprisingly, some of the galaxies we can see right now are currently moving away from us faster than the speed of light! As a consequence of their great speeds, these galaxies will likely not be visible to us forever; some of them are right now emitting their last bit of light that will ever be able to make it all the way across space and reach us (billions of years from now). After that, we will observe them to freeze and fade, never to be seen again.

    How Can the Universe Expand Faster Than the Speed of Light?

    The notion of the absolute speed limit comes from special relativity, but who ever said that special relativity should apply to things on the other side of the universe? That's the domain of a more general theory. A theory like…general relativity.

    It's true that in special relativity, nothing can move faster than light. But special relativity is a local law of physics. Or in other words, it's a law of local physics. That means that you will never, ever watch a rocket ship blast by your face faster than the speed of light. Local motion, local laws.

    But a galaxy on the far side of the universe? That's the domain of general relativity, and general relativity says: who cares! That galaxy can have any speed it wants, as long as it stays way far away, and not up next to your face

    Is that simple enough for you and your friend?

  7. #187
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    281

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I accelerate until I hit my cars top speed, then, even if I hit the accelerator, my car has topped out.
    Except that as far as space-time expansion is concerned, it will NEVER TOP OUT.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future...nding_universe

    Observations suggest that the expansion of the universe will continue forever. If so, then a popular theory is that the universe will cool as it expands, eventually becoming too cold to sustain life. For this reason, this future scenario is popularly called the Heat Death.[1]

    Understand?

  8. #188
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    281

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    You have to be able to "test" a theory. A theory is only a theory, though, until it is does not follow what we already know to be law. If the theory does not stand up to being tested, it's no longer a theory, it's crap.

    The central theme of Relativity Theory is that everything in the universe is relative EXCEPT the speed of light which is the only constant in the universe.

    Let me repeat this once again for those who believe otherwise: "the speed of light is the only constant in the universe."

    If stand on a chair and say it, it still comes out the same way. If you yell it at your neighbors in an argument, it still has the same meaning.

    If I whisper it to my partner during sex, guess what? Right!!!! You cannot be fucking serious to try and tell the good people of PH, that the speed of light is a variable, there is no proof of that. As long as light is traveling I a vacuum, it is ALLWAYS the same speed.

    Good luck with that variable speed nonsense. Now, please C&P some more mathematical equations that you found on the Internet. Next time, make sure you copy the right one, because light photons are mass-less particles, they are not expressed as containing M so M will not be factored in.
    Sigh.

    You do not even understand what you are talking about. The speed of light is constant ONLY IN INERTIAL REFERENCE FRAMES. Guess what happens when an observer is in a non-inertial reference frame?

    Is The Speed of Light Everywhere the Same?

    The Speed of Light as Measured by Non-Inertial Observers

    That the speed of light depends on position when measured by a non-inertial observer is a fact routinely used by laser gyroscopes that form the core of some inertial navigation systems. These gyroscopes send light around a closed loop, and if the loop rotates, an observer riding on the loop will measure light to travel more slowly when it traverses the loop in one direction than when it traverses the loop in the opposite direction. This is known as the Sagnac Effect. The gyroscope does employ such an observer: it is the electronics that sits within the gyro. This electronic observer detects the difference in those light speeds, and attributes that difference to the gyro's not being inertial: it is accelerating within some inertial frame. That measurement of an acceleration allows the body's orientation to be calculated, which keeps it on track and in the right position as it flies.

    Uhmmmm....duh?

  9. #189
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    281

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    I don't know how far back PH goes, but my memory goes back a good long way. I've heard this drivel before and it's always ALWAYS trotted out in order to invalidate the age of the universe, to try to tear down existing science to the point that it is equivalent to that Genesis fantasy in the Bible. If they are equally unproved, then we have to teach both in science class, right?? For that matter, we can make laws based on Bible science, too, can't we? SURE WE CAN!!! This should be fun, eh? Instead of reason and truth our laws will be guided by religious debates. The installation of anti-science types into important scientific roles within government is disheartening evidence that this assault continues unabated.

    Next stop: Jabberwocky.
    I am sorry but I have NEVER subscribed to a 6,000 year age of the earth.

    What I'm saying appears drivel to you and your friend because, guess what, you have neither the education nor the intelligence necessary to understand these concepts. My posts speak for themselves.

    Duh?

  10. #190
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,269
    Thanks
    1750

    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    My posts speak for themselves.
    That's the truth.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Republicans Present New bills
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th March 2014, 06:12 PM
  2. small present for all those who are upset
    By yuri zhivago in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th June 2013, 11:14 AM
  3. Best birthday present you can think of
    By Benjamin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th May 2010, 12:31 PM
  4. History 1865-present
    By metheron in forum World History
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 27th January 2009, 07:29 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed