Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
Thanks Tree29Thanks

Thread: Secular families are ethical families

  1. #11
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,876
    Thanks
    25898

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    LA Times, you say?

    Good newspaper, one of the last good ones.

    But, kinda biased.

    Don't know who the author is, but, I did note that your link goes to their "OP-ED" section, and, is dated January of 2015.

    I am NOT calling this "Fake News."

    But, it is just someone's opinion.
    From the link:


    For nearly 40 years, Bengston has overseen the Longitudinal Study of Generations, which has become the largest study of religion and family life conducted across several generational cohorts in the United States. When Bengston noticed the growth of nonreligious Americans becoming increasingly pronounced, he decided in 2013 to add secular families to his study in an attempt to understand how family life and intergenerational influences play out among the religionless.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #12
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    51,862
    Thanks
    18490

    From
    america
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    From the link:


    For nearly 40 years, Bengston has overseen the Longitudinal Study of Generations, which has become the largest study of religion and family life conducted across several generational cohorts in the United States. When Bengston noticed the growth of nonreligious Americans becoming increasingly pronounced, he decided in 2013 to add secular families to his study in an attempt to understand how family life and intergenerational influences play out among the religionless.
    How do they "judge" morality?

    Who do they "judge?"

    What do they consider "moral?"

  3. #13
    New Member
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    14

    From
    Mid-Florida
    No sure you understood my point that the samples are in question. The Demographics, economic position, prior religious upbringing, all this plays part in the sampling. The main reasonings comes to play from social structure of a community not if the are religious or not. Our society​ is highly influence by judeo-christian beliefs, our laws, Constitution design is all structured on these moral points. So in turn our society will reflect this position until society changes the direction. Just a side note,, I am starting to see a trend moving from this design starting by modifying everything... Constitution, Free Speech, Respect for Authority, Love ones neighbor, Respect for Property.

    Laughter is good for the Soul.
    Last edited by YodaOne; 14th March 2017 at 12:39 PM.

  4. #14
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,876
    Thanks
    25898

    From
    CA
    This part of the article caught my eye

    The results of such secular child-rearing are encouraging. Studies have found that secular teenagers are far less likely to care what the “cool kids” think, or express a need to fit in with them, than their religious peers. When these teens mature into “godless” adults, they exhibit less racism than their religious counterparts, according to a 2010 Duke University study. Many psychological studies show that secular grownups tend to be less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.

    Recent research also has shown that children raised without religion tend to remain irreligious as they grow older — and are perhaps more accepting. Secular adults are more likely to understand and accept the science concerning global warming, and to support women's equality and gay rights. One telling fact from the criminology field: Atheists were almost absent from our prison population as of the late 1990s, comprising less than half of 1% of those behind bars, according to Federal Bureau of Prisons statistics. This echoes what the criminology field has documented for more than a century — the unaffiliated and the nonreligious engage in far fewer crimes.

    Fits both my kids.

    Good to know my husband and myself are not alone in our parenting style

    And yes, we have instilled the Golden Rule over and over again in our home.
    Thanks from Friday13

  5. #15
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    51,862
    Thanks
    18490

    From
    america
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    This part of the article caught my eye

    The results of such secular child-rearing are encouraging. Studies have found that secular teenagers are far less likely to care what the “cool kids” think, or express a need to fit in with them, than their religious peers. When these teens mature into “godless” adults, they exhibit less racism than their religious counterparts, according to a 2010 Duke University study. Many psychological studies show that secular grownups tend to be less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.

    Recent research also has shown that children raised without religion tend to remain irreligious as they grow older — and are perhaps more accepting. Secular adults are more likely to understand and accept the science concerning global warming, and to support women's equality and gay rights. One telling fact from the criminology field: Atheists were almost absent from our prison population as of the late 1990s, comprising less than half of 1% of those behind bars, according to Federal Bureau of Prisons statistics. This echoes what the criminology field has documented for more than a century — the unaffiliated and the nonreligious engage in far fewer crimes.

    Fits both my kids.

    Good to know my husband and myself are not alone in our parenting style

    And yes, we have instilled the Golden Rule over and over again in our home.
    --Even with the nasty RELIGIOUS folks?

  6. #16
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,876
    Thanks
    25898

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    --Even with the nasty RELIGIOUS folks?
    I guess you didn't bother to read the article?

    It's not about "bashing" religious families - it about how secular families seem to fare overhaul in the absence of any religious beliefs.

    confirms that nonreligious family life is replete with its own sustaining moral values and enriching ethical precepts. Chief among those: rational problem solving, personal autonomy, independence of thought, avoidance of corporal punishment, a spirit of “questioning everything” and, far above all, empathy.
    Thanks from Czernobog, GordonGecko and Friday13

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    32,220
    Thanks
    15716

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    How do they "judge" morality?

    Who do they "judge?"

    What do they consider "moral?"
    "They" who?

  8. #18
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    51,862
    Thanks
    18490

    From
    america
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    I guess you didn't bother to read the article?

    It's not about "bashing" religious families - it about how secular families seem to fare overhaul in the absence of any religious beliefs.

    confirms that nonreligious family life is replete with its own sustaining moral values and enriching ethical precepts. Chief among those: rational problem solving, personal autonomy, independence of thought, avoidance of corporal punishment, a spirit of “questioning everything” and, far above all, empathy.
    I question everything.

    Especially when it comes to morality.

    But, in the end, Morals are nothing more than self-imposed handicaps.

    I have no issues with Rational Problem solving, Personal autonomy (BOY, I can do that DAMNED good! Kinda my thang....), Independence of thought (I know you do not believe it, but...my thoughts....they are pretty independent. At least....my thoughts are pretty much limited to the voices, not outside intrusions...), and, most definitely "questioning everything." (EVEN though, I may not be as keen on questioning the same things as others.)

    And, I am pretty damned good with the "empathy." TRUST ME: I grant more than I have ever been afforded. But, I can not change the world, so, sometimes my Empathy gets crossed with the cruel reality of my observations.

    Avoiding corporal punishment....well, that may be one of the reasons kids go on rampage, and tear things up, when they don't get their way, these days. I'm not too keen on corporal punishment, but...if a person hits another person, he deserves to be hit. IF he steals from another person, he deserves to have items taken FROM him. IF he does something worse, then, I say, we throw him in prison, and, let nature take care of it......

  9. #19
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,876
    Thanks
    25898

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    I question everything.

    Especially when it comes to morality.

    But, in the end, Morals are nothing more than self-imposed handicaps.

    I have no issues with Rational Problem solving, Personal autonomy (BOY, I can do that DAMNED good! Kinda my thang....), Independence of thought (I know you do not believe it, but...my thoughts....they are pretty independent. At least....my thoughts are pretty much limited to the voices, not outside intrusions...), and, most definitely "questioning everything." (EVEN though, I may not be as keen on questioning the same things as others.)

    And, I am pretty damned good with the "empathy." TRUST ME: I grant more than I have ever been afforded. But, I can not change the world, so, sometimes my Empathy gets crossed with the cruel reality of my observations.

    Avoiding corporal punishment....well, that may be one of the reasons kids go on rampage, and tear things up, when they don't get their way, these days. I'm not too keen on corporal punishment, but...if a person hits another person, he deserves to be hit. IF he steals from another person, he deserves to have items taken FROM him. IF he does something worse, then, I say, we throw him in prison, and, let nature take care of it......
    What a rambling post...

  10. #20
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    32,220
    Thanks
    15716

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    --Even with the nasty RELIGIOUS folks?
    Hold it right there. No one is saying that theists are not capable of morality, or ethics. Quite the opposite. It is theists who, more often than not, insist that atheists are incapable of either. We are just saying that, now, there is demonstrable evidence that this is not the case.
    Thanks from HayJenn and Friday13

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Politicians and their families
    By PACE in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th January 2016, 08:18 AM
  2. Newtown families sue gun manufacturer
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 18th December 2014, 04:55 AM
  3. This is how families go hungry
    By labrea in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 14th February 2014, 05:13 AM
  4. Replies: 116
    Last Post: 12th August 2009, 07:43 AM
  5. Hello All - Please Sign This Petition For The 9/11 Families
    By Jon Gold in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th April 2007, 10:41 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed