Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 433
Thanks Tree323Thanks

Thread: Ever Been Hungry?

  1. #1
    Little Old Lady Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,240
    Thanks
    26821

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio

    Ever Been Hungry?

    Not as in, dinner is late.

    Not as in, Ramon noodles for the rest of the week.

    As in, it's been days since you last ate and it wasn't by choice.

    I had someone here tell me yesterday that "no one starves in America". Clearly, not true; we have people with anorexia, child abuse cases, etc.

    But they meant, "nobody has to go without food in America if they don't want to".

    Do you agree?

    I don't. My hunger all occurred when I was in HS, sliding off to spend the night huddled next to a car so as to avoid whatever foster home I was then assigned to. Did not happen every night, or even a lot of nights, but it happened. It never occurred to me to try dumpster diving for food, and I doubt I could have anyway.

    How easy is dumpster diving for an old person, do you think? Someone in a wheelchair?

    So....have you ever been hungry?

    Do you think anyone starves in America?

  2. #2
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18,987
    Thanks
    10702

    From
    aMEEErica
    It is better nowadays than it was back then, also the state and local community can make all the difference. (At least here in America...)

    Here in Washington they say you can't go hungry, and for the most part that is true, they have pretty good food banks, a lot of hot meal programs and anyone can get what we used to call a full issue of food stamps: "tramp stamps."

    And it depends on how far the person is willing to go to get food... panhandle... eat the food left by others in a restaurant...? I had to do a bit of that in California...

    A lot of factors are at play, and if people don't eat eventually they die, so people do tend to prioritize food and will go through unconventional means to get by there.

    Oh, and in 12 years on and off being homeless I never once ate from the dumpster, but know others who used to eat the burgers McDonald's threw away each night.

    But you can't do that anymore.

    And... I can't say I really went hungry that often when I was out, if food is now your only expense (and it is expensive being outside, you'd be surprised) then one can often handle it.

    It's probably children who go hungry most often I bet, as sad as that is.

    Thx <popcorn
    Thanks from Madeline, Friday13 and boontito

  3. #3
    Innocent knight's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,221
    Thanks
    6564

    From
    In a van, down by the river
    Uh...my situation is horrible. Yes, I've been hungry. Today. Yesterday. Will be tomorrow. Ever slept in a Mustang? I have. Ever had everything you own in the Mustang you sleep in? I have. Ever shared the Mustang that has everything you own in it and that you sleep in with a little dog? I have. Ever had people give you food that you can't cook? I have. Ever had family members tell you to make a sign and beg? I have. Ever had your family drive by you and look right at you knowing what kind of shape you're in, and not even bother to throw up a hand? I have. Ever filled out job applications and while doing so realized they have no way to contact you because you have no phone? I have. Ever felt like a total stranger in the town you were born in? I have. Ever worried about what you're going to eat and then worry more about what your dog is going to eat? I have. Ever scraped up a dollar and bought a cheeseburger from McDonald's to split with a dog? I have. Ever taken a dog to the creek so he can drink some water? I have.
    All this is happening right now to me. So yes, I've been hungry.
    Thanks from Thx1138, Madeline and chaos

  4. #4
    Little Old Lady Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,240
    Thanks
    26821

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    It is better nowadays than it was back then, also the state and local community can make all the difference. (At least here in America...)

    Here in Washington they say you can't go hungry, and for the most part that is true, they have pretty good food banks, a lot of hot meal programs and anyone can get what we used to call a full issue of food stamps: "tramp stamps."

    And it depends on how far the person is willing to go to get food... panhandle... eat the food left by others in a restaurant...? I had to do a bit of that in California...

    A lot of factors are at play, and if people don't eat eventually they die, so people do tend to prioritize food and will go through unconventional means to get by there.

    Oh, and in 12 years on and off being homeless I never once ate from the dumpster, but know others who used to eat the burgers McDonald's threw away each night.

    But you can't do that anymore.

    And... I can't say I really went hungry that often when I was out, if food is now your only expense (and it is expensive being outside, you'd be surprised) then one can often handle it.

    It's probably children who go hungry most often I bet, as sad as that is.

    Thx <popcorn
    Yes, I agree. I think men can solve their food issues better than children or the elderly.

    When I was in college we used to read all these stories about old people eating cat food.....or at least, I think we did. It was certainly a "thing" to worry about whether they had enough to eat. Meals on Wheels did not start in the US until 1974.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meals_on_Wheels#History
    Thanks from Thx1138

  5. #5
    Little Old Lady Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,240
    Thanks
    26821

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Uh...my situation is horrible. Yes, I've been hungry. Today. Yesterday. Will be tomorrow. Ever slept in a Mustang? I have. Ever had everything you own in the Mustang you sleep in? I have. Ever shared the Mustang that has everything you own in it and that you sleep in with a little dog? I have. Ever had people give you food that you can't cook? I have. Ever had family members tell you to make a sign and beg? I have. Ever had your family drive by you and look right at you knowing what kind of shape you're in, and not even bother to throw up a hand? I have. Ever filled out job applications and while doing so realized they have no way to contact you because you have no phone? I have. Ever felt like a total stranger in the town you were born in? I have. Ever worried about what you're going to eat and then worry more about what your dog is going to eat? I have. Ever scraped up a dollar and bought a cheeseburger from McDonald's to split with a dog? I have. Ever taken a dog to the creek so he can drink some water? I have.
    All this is happening right now to me. So yes, I've been hungry.
    Fuck, knight.

    Please read your PM.....I want to help.

    I'm so sorry, Daddio. I had no idea.
    Thanks from knight and Thx1138

  6. #6
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    36,593
    Thanks
    14192

    From
    God Bless Texas
    The stray doesn't go hungry. The first time I met him and he asked me for food he said he hadn't eaten in 6 hours I was thinking 'big fucking deal' lol! But I thought he was a teen. So I thought ok well to him that is a long time.

    Anyway I guess he panhandles and also I know that places give him food they are going to toss. He was eating 'expired' donuts from 7-11 when I met him.

    I never found out why they didn't give him any of the pizza or wings or whatever other hot food they trash in there. Maybe that doesn't happen graveyard shift when the girl who gave him donuts worked.
    Thanks from Madeline and knight

  7. #7
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    36,593
    Thanks
    14192

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Uh...my situation is horrible. Yes, I've been hungry. Today. Yesterday. Will be tomorrow. Ever slept in a Mustang? I have. Ever had everything you own in the Mustang you sleep in? I have. Ever shared the Mustang that has everything you own in it and that you sleep in with a little dog? I have. Ever had people give you food that you can't cook? I have. Ever had family members tell you to make a sign and beg? I have. Ever had your family drive by you and look right at you knowing what kind of shape you're in, and not even bother to throw up a hand? I have. Ever filled out job applications and while doing so realized they have no way to contact you because you have no phone? I have. Ever felt like a total stranger in the town you were born in? I have. Ever worried about what you're going to eat and then worry more about what your dog is going to eat? I have. Ever scraped up a dollar and bought a cheeseburger from McDonald's to split with a dog? I have. Ever taken a dog to the creek so he can drink some water? I have.
    All this is happening right now to me. So yes, I've been hungry.
    We can help you. You can get an 'Obamaphone' and at least 3 months of food stamps depending on what state you live in maybe more. What has caused this?
    Thanks from Madeline and knight

  8. #8
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    36,593
    Thanks
    14192

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Yes, I agree. I think men can solve their food issues better than children or the elderly.

    When I was in college we used to read all these stories about old people eating cat food.....or at least, I think we did. It was certainly a "thing" to worry about whether they had enough to eat. Meals on Wheels did not start in the US until 1974.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meals_on_Wheels#History
    Cat food is more expensive than 'people food'. I never understood this. I pay $56 cents (then it's taxed) for 3 oz of I assume crappy meat and by-products.
    Thanks from Madeline

  9. #9
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18,987
    Thanks
    10702

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Uh...my situation is horrible. Yes, I've been hungry. Today. Yesterday. Will be tomorrow. Ever slept in a Mustang? I have. Ever had everything you own in the Mustang you sleep in? I have. Ever shared the Mustang that has everything you own in it and that you sleep in with a little dog? I have. Ever had people give you food that you can't cook? I have. Ever had family members tell you to make a sign and beg? I have. Ever had your family drive by you and look right at you knowing what kind of shape you're in, and not even bother to throw up a hand? I have. Ever filled out job applications and while doing so realized they have no way to contact you because you have no phone? I have. Ever felt like a total stranger in the town you were born in? I have. Ever worried about what you're going to eat and then worry more about what your dog is going to eat? I have. Ever scraped up a dollar and bought a cheeseburger from McDonald's to split with a dog? I have. Ever taken a dog to the creek so he can drink some water? I have.
    All this is happening right now to me. So yes, I've been hungry.
    Sorry to hear that guy, what state do you live in?

    One thing I regret was not taking my dog with me, but I left him with someone who said they knew someone who would take him...

    Thx
    Thanks from Madeline

  10. #10
    Little Old Lady Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,240
    Thanks
    26821

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    Cat food is more expensive than 'people food'. I never understood this. I pay $56 cents (then it's taxed) for 3 oz of I assume crappy meat and by-products.
    Who knows if it really happened or is just an urban myth. But old people starve inside their homes, because they can't get to the store, or have dementia and can't figure out the locks to open the door, etc.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This is how families go hungry
    By labrea in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 14th February 2014, 05:13 AM
  2. Unemployed and hungry in the US
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th December 2008, 07:10 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed