Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Is doing evil a necessity of life?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    133

    From
    Canada

    Is doing evil a necessity of life?

    Is doing evil a necessity of life?

    Did the ancients know this and Is that why we are all named as sinners?

    I think nature created the potential for evil in each of us because without that potential we would not have the ability to make a free choice between good and evil or evolve to find the fittest human.

    Consider. Evolution has two major components that we must do to survive; compete or cooperate, as required. Cooperation we would see as good because it does not create a victim or loser. Competition would be seen as evil as it creates a victim and loser.

    From this view, we must do evil and to survive as that process produces the fittest. To not compete would produce the least fit and we would likely go extinct.

    Do you see this conundrum of us having to do evil? If you do, should God punish us for doing what we must do so as not to go extinct?

    I do not see God as justified in punishing us and that is why Gnostic Christians like me are Universalists.

    I see us all as not requiring salvation. God would not do evil by punishing us for doing what we must do to survive and thrive.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsultet
    “O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam”.
    “in the light of paradise, even the sin of Adam may be regarded as truly necessary and a happy fault.”



    If sin and doing evil is good and necessary for Adam, who represents all of mankind, then the church and I are suggesting that it is good that we all do evil.

    It seems that nature, or God, if you are into the supernatural, ultimately, created a perfect imperfect world. To appreciate perfection, we must know imperfection. This knowledge frees the mind.

    Regards
    DL

  2. #2
    Member Iolo's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,306
    Thanks
    1484

    From
    Rhondda, Cymru
    We created words like 'good' and 'evil' because humans approve of some actions people perform and disapprove of others. Some things earlier and other contemporary people saw/see as evil we now see as good, and vice versa - the terms are not absolutes. I don't think that unless we assume they are, we shall get far in debating this topic.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    133

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Iolo View Post
    We created words like 'good' and 'evil' because humans approve of some actions people perform and disapprove of others. Some things earlier and other contemporary people saw/see as evil we now see as good, and vice versa - the terms are not absolutes. I don't think that unless we assume they are, we shall get far in debating this topic.
    This is true when you will not accept well defined terms.

    In philosophical circles, terms that need defining usually come after the initial positions are generally accepted.

    I am speaking with contemporary people and am using the contemporary meaning of words.

    Seems you did not understand the thrust of my O.P.

    Regards
    DL

  4. #4
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,908
    Thanks
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Is doing evil a necessity of life?

    Did the ancients know this and Is that why we are all named as sinners?

    I think nature created the potential for evil in each of us because without that potential we would not have the ability to make a free choice between good and evil or evolve to find the fittest human.

    Consider. Evolution has two major components that we must do to survive; compete or cooperate, as required. Cooperation we would see as good because it does not create a victim or loser. Competition would be seen as evil as it creates a victim and loser.

    From this view, we must do evil and to survive as that process produces the fittest. To not compete would produce the least fit and we would likely go extinct.

    Do you see this conundrum of us having to do evil? If you do, should God punish us for doing what we must do so as not to go extinct?

    I do not see God as justified in punishing us and that is why Gnostic Christians like me are Universalists.

    I see us all as not requiring salvation. God would not do evil by punishing us for doing what we must do to survive and thrive.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsultet
    “O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam”.
    “in the light of paradise, even the sin of Adam may be regarded as truly necessary and a happy fault.”



    If sin and doing evil is good and necessary for Adam, who represents all of mankind, then the church and I are suggesting that it is good that we all do evil.

    It seems that nature, or God, if you are into the supernatural, ultimately, created a perfect imperfect world. To appreciate perfection, we must know imperfection. This knowledge frees the mind.

    Regards
    DL
    sin punishes you God tries to lead you out of it...God doesn't condemn you , your sin does...it is not necessary and wasn't created by nature it was created by disobedience...

  5. #5
    Junior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    133

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Heel31ok View Post
    sin punishes you God tries to lead you out of it...God doesn't condemn you , your sin does...it is not necessary and wasn't created by nature it was created by disobedience...
    What a foolish statement.
    Sins do not have the power to condemn. Sins are not sentient.

    Please speak to the issue of the O.P. instead of sharing your delusions of your hateful supernatural God.

    You strangely cannot understand that Yahweh is a genocidal son murdering prick who is more satanic-like than God-like.

    If your sins were not necessary, why did you do them? And why will you do evil again if you ever have to compete for resources?

    Regards
    DL

  6. #6
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    48,490
    Thanks
    9076

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Is doing evil a necessity of life?

    Did the ancients know this and Is that why we are all named as sinners?

    I think nature created the potential for evil in each of us because without that potential we would not have the ability to make a free choice between good and evil or evolve to find the fittest human.

    Consider. Evolution has two major components that we must do to survive; compete or cooperate, as required. Cooperation we would see as good because it does not create a victim or loser. Competition would be seen as evil as it creates a victim and loser.

    From this view, we must do evil and to survive as that process produces the fittest. To not compete would produce the least fit and we would likely go extinct.

    Do you see this conundrum of us having to do evil? If you do, should God punish us for doing what we must do so as not to go extinct?

    I do not see God as justified in punishing us and that is why Gnostic Christians like me are Universalists.

    I see us all as not requiring salvation. God would not do evil by punishing us for doing what we must do to survive and thrive.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsultet
    “O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam”.
    “in the light of paradise, even the sin of Adam may be regarded as truly necessary and a happy fault.”



    If sin and doing evil is good and necessary for Adam, who represents all of mankind, then the church and I are suggesting that it is good that we all do evil.

    It seems that nature, or God, if you are into the supernatural, ultimately, created a perfect imperfect world. To appreciate perfection, we must know imperfection. This knowledge frees the mind.

    Regards
    DL
    It doesn't really matter what you think in the end though does it?

    God said what he has said and it's no mystery now you can try to say you don't believe it but you can't try to rationalize it away.

    If God is real you are pretty much fucked whether you think it's right or not.

    I hope your lucky at gambling because that is what you are doing.

    If I'm wrong well I will end up just like you but if you're wrong......ouch!

  7. #7
    Junior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    133

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    It doesn't really matter what you think in the end though does it?

    God said what he has said and it's no mystery now you can try to say you don't believe it but you can't try to rationalize it away.

    If God is real you are pretty much fucked whether you think it's right or not.

    I hope your lucky at gambling because that is what you are doing.

    If I'm wrong well I will end up just like you but if you're wrong......ouch!
    God has never said anything and if you expect me to let fear of the unknown allow me to follow an immoral God then you are sadly mistaken.

    Both Christianity and Islam, basically, have developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds.

    Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I.

    Regards
    DL

  8. #8
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29,170
    Thanks
    27269

    From
    United States
    There is an inherent contradiction involved in balancing the need for self-preservation with the egalitarian desire to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

    What is in my best interest will often conflict with what is in another's best self interest.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    133

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    There is an inherent contradiction involved in balancing the need for self-preservation with the egalitarian desire to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
    Not in group dynamics. If all in the group are putting the group ahead of themselves, the losers would applaud the winners as all would want the best man for the job That winner would be contributing to the benefits of group and thus the evil done to the losers of the competitions is reduced to it's smallest form.

    What is in my best interest will often conflict with what is in another's best self interest.
    Indeed. But if the competition does not have the fittest rise to the top, then the whole species suffers as they would not have the fittest to lead them.

    Regards
    DL

  10. #10
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29,170
    Thanks
    27269

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Not in group dynamics.
    Okay, but I exist first and foremost as an individual entity who may or may not be aligned with any particular group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When did Water stop being a basic necessity to Life?
    By Czernobog in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 21st July 2014, 06:38 AM
  2. Rank federal spending priorities by importance/necessity
    By Neomalthusian in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 7th April 2014, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 26th March 2014, 08:18 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th January 2014, 04:33 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed