Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88
Thanks Tree40Thanks

Thread: Passover Begins Monday April 10, 2017

  1. #41
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    40,257
    Thanks
    24944

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    GENERALLY deemed acceptable? Please post your general evidence.

    It seems to me that only someone who's never heard it before would pronunce it 'paysock'. I for one have never heard any Jew pronunce it the way you do.

    Same for 'baruch'
    Well, if wish, you may provide me with your phone number. I'll be glad to call you and share my amateur pronunciation. Then you'll have heard a Jew pronounce it the way I do.

  2. #42
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,216
    Thanks
    2450

    From
    EU
    Sorry, but your own peculiar idiolect is no evidence of a general acceptance.

    You will need to provide many instances of Jews saying 'paysock' to prove that it is indeed generally deemed acceptable, as you say.

    A youtube video will do.

    Try again

  3. #43
    Veteran Member Isalexi's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    32,197
    Thanks
    20100

    From
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    The cat's got your tongues?
    It is pronounced like the CH in Chanukah...or like the h in Hanukkah.
    Thanks from Paris and Ian Jeffrey

  4. #44
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,216
    Thanks
    2450

    From
    EU
    Quote Originally Posted by Isalexi View Post
    It is pronounced like the CH in Chanukah...or like the h in Hanukkah.
    Indeed

  5. #45
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    30,560
    Thanks
    28554

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    Sorry, but your own peculiar idiolect is no evidence of a general acceptance.

    You will need to provide many instances of Jews saying 'paysock' to prove that it is indeed generally deemed acceptable, as you say.

    A youtube video will do.

    Try again

    You happy now?
    Thanks from Djinn

  6. #46
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    40,257
    Thanks
    24944

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    Sorry, but your own peculiar idiolect is no evidence of a general acceptance.

    You will need to provide many instances of Jews saying 'paysock' to prove that it is indeed generally deemed acceptable, as you say.

    A youtube video will do. Try again
    Why do you care so much about this? Unless you're in rabbinical school, or practicing for your bar mitzvah, no one - Jewish or otherwise - is going to bother correcting you. Even my pain-in-the-ass Jewish mother in law, who has no known social graces, wouldn't correct someone on this.

    It's a different alphabet, with different sounds. When I go to a diner, I know the correct pronunciation of the Greek "gyro." However, the wait staff probably doesn't, and if I tried ordering it with the proper Greek pronunciation (which can't be put into English letters), I would come across as a pretentious douche.
    Last edited by Djinn; 12th April 2017 at 11:24 AM.

  7. #47
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,216
    Thanks
    2450

    From
    EU
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post

    You happy now?
    Not really. That's just one guy mispronouncing pesach over and over. Surely you can find better examples to make your case, no?

  8. #48
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,216
    Thanks
    2450

    From
    EU
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Why do you care so much about this? Unless you're in rabbinical school, or practicing for your bar mitzvah, no one - Jewish or otherwise - is going to bother correcting you. Even my pain-in-the-ass Jewish mother in law, who has no known social graces, wouldn't correct someone on this.

    It's a different alphabet, with different sounds. When I go to a diner, I know the correct pronunciation of the Greek "gyro." However, the wait staff probably doesn't, and if I tried ordering it with the proper Greek pronunciation (which can't be put into English letters), I would come across as a pretentious douche.
    I just find it odd that you took the pain in your first post to tell others how it should be pronounced when you actually have no idea what you're talking about

  9. #49
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    40,257
    Thanks
    24944

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    I just find it odd that you took the pain in your first post to tell others how it should be pronounced when you actually have no idea what you're talking about
    I told people how to pronounce it inasmuch as one can feasibly manage using the standard English alphabet. If you insist on being a pedant, I am glad to clarify and state that the correct pronunciation is פֶּסַח.

    However, if פֶּסַח proves difficult to say, no one (other than Paris) will correct you if you pronounce it "PAY-sock."

  10. #50
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    30,560
    Thanks
    28554

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    Not really. That's just one guy mispronouncing pesach over and over. Surely you can find better examples to make your case, no?
    I wasn't making a case. I was merely responding to your request. I couldn't really care less how you prefer to pronounce any particular word.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Merle Haggard April 6, 1937 April 6, 2016
    By NightSwimmer in forum Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 6th April 2016, 01:25 PM
  2. Happy easter/passover!
    By justonemorevoice in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 4th April 2010, 04:40 AM
  3. 2017: The System begins to Fail
    By conservative in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th April 2007, 06:14 PM
  4. April 6th, the attack on iran begins:
    By The_Bear in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 31st March 2007, 08:10 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed