Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: Interesting question...

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,149
    Thanks
    2296

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    No comment on how your loving god treated Job?

    And why would your loving god invent a parasite that gets into infant's eyes and blinds them?

    BTW, "god works in mysterious ways" or whatever variation of that you use like "mere man can not understand the ways of the lord" are not sufficient for me.
    Mr. RNG,

    Don't blame me for your shallow thinking.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    32,240
    Thanks
    15734

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    No, God is kind to his children. The only confusion is from empty souled atheists envious of the peace that people of faith enjoy.
    Nice canned talking point, but it does nothing to address the entirely different natures of God presented by two different religions, both claiming to worship the same God. Now, I know that you would reply by insisting that it is Christianity that has the only "true" depiction of the Nature of God. However, the Muslim would make the same claim. You can't both be right. So, it is more likely that neither of you is right, and that neither version actually came from "God".

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,149
    Thanks
    2296

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Nice canned talking point, but it does nothing to address the entirely different natures of God presented by two different religions, both claiming to worship the same God. Now, I know that you would reply by insisting that it is Christianity that has the only "true" depiction of the Nature of God. However, the Muslim would make the same claim. You can't both be right. So, it is more likely that neither of you is right, and that neither version actually came from "God".
    Mr. Czernobog,

    You, of course, a shallow in your thinking in that you believe all men are the same and share the same experiences, upbringing, ancestry, and history, and as such, every body should look at the world the same way.

    People of faith know different.

  4. #44
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,578
    Thanks
    2724

    From
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. RNG,

    Don't blame me for your shallow thinking.
    To be continued. I don't want to further derail the thread from the OP question.

  5. #45
    Inside Your Heads syrenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    11,990
    Thanks
    6113

    From
    the sadness of my soul
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    No comment on how your loving god treated Job?

    And why would your loving god invent a parasite that gets into infant's eyes and blinds them?

    BTW, "god works in mysterious ways" or whatever variation of that you use like "mere man can not understand the ways of the lord" are not sufficient for me.
    those would be a few of the construct excuses i was just talking about. It is the out for all responsibility and accountability for what man does.

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    32,240
    Thanks
    15734

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    You, of course, a shallow in your thinking in that you believe all men are the same and share the same experiences, upbringing, ancestry, and history, and as such, every body should look at the world the same way.

    People of faith know different.
    No. I wouldn't expect that everyone is exactly the same. However, one would expect that an all-powerful, all-knowing God would know how to present himself the same way, no matter to whom he was appearing. I guess your God didn't think things through enough to make his appearances to different cultures consistent, huh?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,149
    Thanks
    2296

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    To be continued. I don't want to further derail the thread from the OP question.
    Mr. RNG,

    This deals entirely with the OP question. You see, atheist like him believe, or pretend to believe that people in the ancient world all had smart phones with 24/7 media access, and immediate contact with their neighbors. Thus, he pretends it a huge gotcha that although the three major religious communities in the middle east supposedly worship the same God, they all see him differently.

    The Lord delivered the tribes of Israel from Egypt, and later from Babylon, and passed down his laws. His laws were translated by men to write a book, not only detailing the history of the tribes of Israel, but the divine inspiration for how to survive. Hence the Hebrew view of the Lord.

    However, as time went on, the Priesthood (similar to the Priesthood in Egypt, Greece, Rome, Assyria, etc. etc.) became too powerful and corrupted the word of the Lord. Prophet, such as John the Baptist, and the Messiah Jesus fought against these corrupt Priests and prescribed new ways to worship the Lord. Hence, the Christian view of our Lord.

    In the Arabian peninsula, the Prophet Mohammad lived in a tribal society that was constantly at war with each other. The Lord came to him and taught him how to unify these tribes and bring peach and prosperity to their world. Thus, the word of the lord from the view of Islam.

    Going back to the theme, you cite the Book of Job, reading it literally, and like the OP, you pretend that the people in those days all had resources at their fingertips to immediately double check facts. The opposite is true. Interestedly, on American Experience recently, they were discussing America during the WWI. It talked about all the songs and ditties that were sung in saloons and concert halls at the time. It mentioned that a great many of the population at that time could either not read, or could only read in their own language. Thus, when major news stories came out, the publishing houses would write songs about it, and distribute them in the appropriate languages, to be sung in the gathering places.

    Similarly, some of the the stories of the Torah, the Bible, and the Koran are not literal interpretations, but rather, parables and teachings. The story of Job is an example of how external forces may ruin your life, but belief in the goodness of the Lord will restore it. Famine ruined the crops, business, and fortune of Job, but he still believed in the lord. War took his family, but he still believed in the goodness of the lord. Pestilence ruined his health, but he still believed, and in the end, his faith restored his health, his family, and his fortune.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,149
    Thanks
    2296

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    No. I wouldn't expect that everyone is exactly the same. However, one would expect that an all-powerful, all-knowing God would know how to present himself the same way, no matter to whom he was appearing. I guess your God didn't think things through enough to make his appearances to different cultures consistent, huh?
    Mr. Czernobog,

    You say you wouldn't then question why different people see things differently.

    Pretty shallow thinking on your part, but then again, you, being an atheist, are only driven by hoping to make other people as empty souled as you.

  9. #49
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,578
    Thanks
    2724

    From
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. RNG,

    This deals entirely with the OP question. You see, atheist like him believe, or pretend to believe that people in the ancient world all had smart phones with 24/7 media access, and immediate contact with their neighbors. Thus, he pretends it a huge gotcha that although the three major religious communities in the middle east supposedly worship the same God, they all see him differently.

    <snip to save bandwidth and page length>
    So this one god gave the message to different cultures in a way that this omnipotent god knew would get twisted by the different people who he gave it to?

  10. #50
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    32,240
    Thanks
    15734

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    You say you wouldn't then question why different people see things differently.

    Pretty shallow thinking on your part, but then again, you, being an atheist, are only driven by hoping to make other people as empty souled as you.
    I never said a word about how people see things. I question how God presented himself. We are left withonly two options:

    1 - God presented himself differently to both groups, or
    2 - God presented himself the same way to both groups, but was perceived differently.

    If the former, then God intentionally created confusion, and conflict with his own worshippers. If the latter, then neither can be trusted to have an accurate perception of God, as both are human, and equally unreliable in the interpretations of their personal perceptions.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Last question of the final debate was the best question ever
    By Neomalthusian in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 3rd December 2016, 08:33 AM
  2. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 24th July 2015, 06:10 AM
  3. Very interesting.
    By samshosho in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st April 2007, 02:35 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed