Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 496
Thanks Tree176Thanks

Thread: Can a billion people be wrong?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    49,928
    Thanks
    2735

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    If science could not predict anything accurately, then not a single piece of technology would work except by accident. I understand you use a device called a "computer," for example, to post things to a virtual message board across the "internet."
    The Computer was developed as a communication device from an IBM computer, but Steve Jobs didn't predict he would make an IPhone when he first developed the Macintosh. Computers were developed as time went on and needs came up. A lot of what happened on computers was by accident. While developing the Ipad they found out they could turn it into a phone, but decided it was to large and made a smaller version of the Ipad called the Iphone

  2. #62
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,040
    Thanks
    2182

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Not the exact number, nobody knows how many actually believe in God or what God but many, many do and many of those now gone did.

    Were we and are we all wrong, are we looking for something, that seems like quite a need if that is so.

    Are we all so insecure that we need to invent a God to comfort us?

    Or maybe have we tapped into something that the rest of you are missing?

    If you sit in a room with your classmates and get asked a question you have a better chance of getting it right with the more voices you have that can answer rather then answering it by yourself.

    Its a simple question, can so many of us be wrong, all with different histories, different beliefs, different upbringings........yet we believe in God, whatever name you give Him.

    There are insecure people that believe in God, drug addicts, poor people, losers, rich folk, white, black, brown and yellow, those that have lived blessed lives and those that have suffered. How can we all, coming from such different backgrounds, believe in the same thing. I may be pushing a shopping cart and believe in God and that rich man in that house still believes in the same God so why is that?

    Should the poor man resent the rich man, should the rich man feel guilty about the poor man?

    Maybe, but the point remains that they still both believe in God.

    Neither fear death nor do they embrace it yet they both know where they are going when it does happen yet they are so different?

    All over the world this carries on, with no rhyme or reason and there has never, in the history of mankind, been a phenomenon like a belief in God so does that not make it unique and something worth considering?

    Can a billion of us be wrong?
    In a word, yes.

  3. #63
    Veteran Member Isalexi's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    32,871
    Thanks
    20511

    From
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Show me a time when the consensus has been wrong for the length of the human species.

    Let's see, we have shelter, food, fire is good, and God.
    Food is real. Shelter is real. Fire is real god is supernatural
    Kids have believed in Santa Claus for centuries, are they wrong? Once they found out Santa wasn't real they put all their efforts into the man in the sky instead of the north pole,

  4. #64
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,183
    Thanks
    10077

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Isalexi View Post
    Food is real. Shelter is real. Fire is real god is supernatural
    Kids have believed in Santa Claus for centuries, are they wrong? Once they found out Santa wasn't real they put all their efforts into the man in the sky instead of the north pole,
    Well I am sure when people find out God isn't real they will come to the same conclusion.

    The problem here is that nobody can prove God isn't real.

    Can they?

  5. #65
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47,953
    Thanks
    22509

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    The Computer was developed as a communication device from an IBM computer, but Steve Jobs didn't predict he would make an IPhone when he first developed the Macintosh. Computers were developed as time went on and needs came up. A lot of what happened on computers was by accident. While developing the Ipad they found out they could turn it into a phone, but decided it was to large and made a smaller version of the Ipad called the Iphone
    None of this makes any sense, nor addresses the point. If science could not predict anything accurately, then no technology could possibly work. You clearly do not understand science or how it works.
    Thanks from RNG

  6. #66
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47,953
    Thanks
    22509

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    The problem here is that nobody can prove G-d isn't real.
    No one has to. You have to prove G-d exists - and you cannot. Nor can anyone else.
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #67
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    30,908
    Thanks
    28867

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    None of this makes any sense, nor addresses the point. If science could not predict anything accurately, then no technology could possibly work. You clearly do not understand science or how it works.
    Sounds like he's arguing that computers simply evolved at random, rather than having been an invention of human imagination built upon an expanding understanding of the underlying physics involved.

    An interesting theory...
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and NeoVsMatrix

  8. #68
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12,373
    Thanks
    10287

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Not the exact number, nobody knows how many actually believe in God or what God but many, many do and many of those now gone did.

    Were we and are we all wrong, are we looking for something, that seems like quite a need if that is so.

    Are we all so insecure that we need to invent a God to comfort us?

    Or maybe have we tapped into something that the rest of you are missing?

    If you sit in a room with your classmates and get asked a question you have a better chance of getting it right with the more voices you have that can answer rather then answering it by yourself.

    Its a simple question, can so many of us be wrong, all with different histories, different beliefs, different upbringings........yet we believe in God, whatever name you give Him.

    There are insecure people that believe in God, drug addicts, poor people, losers, rich folk, white, black, brown and yellow, those that have lived blessed lives and those that have suffered. How can we all, coming from such different backgrounds, believe in the same thing. I may be pushing a shopping cart and believe in God and that rich man in that house still believes in the same God so why is that?

    Should the poor man resent the rich man, should the rich man feel guilty about the poor man?

    Maybe, but the point remains that they still both believe in God.

    Neither fear death nor do they embrace it yet they both know where they are going when it does happen yet they are so different?

    All over the world this carries on, with no rhyme or reason and there has never, in the history of mankind, been a phenomenon like a belief in God so does that not make it unique and something worth considering?

    Can a billion of us be wrong?
    Are you asking that of these people? Are they all wrong because it's NOT the "right" god or is it the same god?

    "World's Muslim Population Will Surpass Christians This Century, Pew Says"
    World's Muslim Population Will Surpass Christians This Century, Pew Says : The Two-Way : NPR

    How many people are in the world? How many of them believe in god(s)? Are they all the same god(s)? How many humans have died in human history based on differences in their beliefs in god(s), in many cases, the same god?

    How much of the world population does NOT believe in god(s) and are they wrong?

  9. #69
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,183
    Thanks
    10077

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    No one has to. You have to prove G-d exists - and you cannot. Nor can anyone else.
    He is proven by default.

    At the very least, per the scientific method he is not disproven.

  10. #70
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,183
    Thanks
    10077

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    Are you asking that of these people? Are they all wrong because it's NOT the "right" god or is it the same god?

    "World's Muslim Population Will Surpass Christians This Century, Pew Says"
    World's Muslim Population Will Surpass Christians This Century, Pew Says : The Two-Way : NPR

    How many people are in the world? How many of them believe in god(s)? Are they all the same god(s)? How many humans have died in human history based on differences in their beliefs in god(s), in many cases, the same god?

    How much of the world population does NOT believe in god(s) and are they wrong?
    The majority of the world believes in a God.

    Can we all be wrong?

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Are you sure you're mad at the wrong people?
    By Czernobog in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 12th December 2013, 12:33 PM
  2. WTF is wrong with people?
    By Blueneck in forum Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 26th March 2008, 03:44 PM
  3. What Is Wrong With People?
    By Migi e! in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 17th April 2007, 04:26 PM
  4. What's Wrong With Those People?
    By Freedom for All in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 3rd March 2007, 02:23 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed