Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 138
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: Do you believe there is a hell?

  1. #81
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,646
    Thanks
    285

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    We are immediately aware of the three dimensions that surround us on a daily basis those that define the length, width, and depth of all objects in our universes (the x, y, and z axes, respectively).

    Beyond these three visible dimensions, scientists believe that there may be many more. In fact, the theoretical framework of Superstring Theory posits that the universe exists in ten different dimensions. These different aspects are what govern the universe, the fundamental forces of nature, and all the elementary particles contained within.
    https://www.universetoday.com/48619/...10-dimensions/

    I bet you only think in 3 dimensions don't you? I prefer 10.
    The problem with positing 11 dimensions (10 spatial and one time dimension) is that there is no way to scientifically verify phenomenon occurring in the extra seven dimensions.

    Which begs the question -- you are comfortable believing seven extra dimensions without any proof and yet you cannot even give people the benefit of the doubt to believe in heaven?

  2. #82
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,646
    Thanks
    285

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Why? Would the proof shake your belief?
    If you really understand what cosmology is saying, it would reinforce, rather than shake your belief.

  3. #83
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,646
    Thanks
    285

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I don't dismiss God as a possibility in fact if you read my posts I am an agnostic. I simply don't know as there is no way of knowing. I can not dismiss it but I can not believe if either unless one or the other is proven to me objectively.
    I suppose 11-dimension string theory is objectively proven, hmmmm?

    The truth is, string theory is a dead end. The recent detection of gravitational waves sealed the deal.

  4. #84
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,646
    Thanks
    285

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    No one needs any. The burden is on those asserting G-d created the universe to demonstrate that such a thing occurred, including proving such a thing as G-d exists. Until such evidence is presented, the default assumption is that no such thing occurred. Science only works with evidence, and evidence of the existence (or, of course, non-existence) of G-d is not possible. If you believe otherwise on that last, you are free to present your evidence, if you have any.
    Nonsense.

    Science (formerly referred to as natural philosophy) is the inquiry regarding material phenomena. If science posits the beginning of the universe from a finite point, it is already giving room for the possibility of an existence outside material cause and effect -- hence outside the scope of its inquiry. That is the logical consequence of positing a big bang.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Religion and science do not properly mix, and each should stay in its respective sphere. Science does that. Why cannot religion?
    Why then are people asking for scientific proof of god's existence, hmmmm? It is like asking why 1=1? Utterly foolish.

  5. #85
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    51,412
    Thanks
    24575

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    If science posits the beginning of the universe from a finite point, it is already giving room for the possibility of an existence outside material cause and effect -- hence outside the scope of its inquiry.
    What it "leaves room for" is meaningless. Something is, or it is not. The question is what the physical evidence is, and there is no physical evidence for a non-corporeal supreme being.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    Why then are people asking for scientific proof of g-d's existence, hmmmm?
    Because many theists claim G-d's existence is provable fact - i.e., making a scientific assertion. If that is so, then such evidence should be shown. The point of the question is a reductio ad absurdum to demonstrate that no such evidence exists. Asking the question does no more than that.
    Thanks from GordonGecko

  6. #86
    Veteran Member GordonGecko's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29,973
    Thanks
    22628

    From
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    If you really understand what cosmology is saying, it would reinforce, rather than shake your belief.
    Or given your faith is unshakable, you'd take any evidence you receive and "make it fit" your world-view?
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  7. #87
    Veteran Member GordonGecko's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29,973
    Thanks
    22628

    From
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Because many theists claim G-d's existence is provable fact - i.e., making a scientific assertion. If that is so, then such evidence should be shown. The point of the question is a reductio ad absurdum to demonstrate that no such evidence exists. Asking the question does no more than that.
    If God is a "provable fact"?


    What's the point of "faith"?

    I don't have "faith" in the existance of the Sun or "faith" that if I drop a brick, it's going to fall down and not fly up against gravity?

  8. #88
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    51,412
    Thanks
    24575

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    If G-d is a "provable fact"?

    What's the point of "faith"?
    Now you are referring back to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

    Of course, the problem is with those who claim they can prove G-d exists, rather than recognize that religion and science are two different things and should not be mixed.

  9. #89
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    17,107
    Thanks
    6964

    From
    i'm not real===
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    Nonsense.

    Science (formerly referred to as natural philosophy) is the inquiry regarding material phenomena. If science posits the beginning of the universe from a finite point, it is already giving room for the possibility of an existence outside material cause and effect -- hence outside the scope of its inquiry. That is the logical consequence of positing a big bang.
    Most of what you write is complete gibberish. Framing it into very impressive, pseudo-scientific stereo instructions, does nothing to hide that fact.

  10. #90
    New Member Havelock's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    849
    Thanks
    1027

    From
    U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    The truth is, string theory is a dead end. The recent detection of gravitational waves sealed the deal.
    The truth is, that is far from a consensus view among astrophysicists.

    Cheers.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 326
    Last Post: 28th April 2017, 03:25 PM
  2. 23 min in Hell
    By Terri321 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 524
    Last Post: 26th August 2007, 09:43 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed