Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By KnotaFrayed
  • 2 Post By Spookycolt
  • 1 Post By Ian Jeffrey
  • 1 Post By Spookycolt
  • 1 Post By Eve1
  • 1 Post By cpicturetaker12

Thread: In a nutshell......

  1. #1
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12,004
    Thanks
    9935

    From
    Here

    In a nutshell......

    Interesting that some 29 years later, what is said in this skit, seems more valid now, than it may have been then.


    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 12th May 2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    49,645
    Thanks
    9229

    From
    By the wall
    Maybe liberals should stop telling people what to do then.

    I don't want to buy my neighbor healthcare so quit telling me I have to.

    I am an American.
    Thanks from Southern Dad and Humorme

  3. #3
    Senior Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,844
    Thanks
    6987

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Maybe liberals should stop telling people what to do then.

    I don't want to buy my neighbor healthcare so quit telling me I have to.

    I am an American.
    That lady played a liberal but in real life she was more conservative than most.

    The following from wikipedia:

    "Dixie Carter was a registered Republican, who described her political views as libertarian.[4] She was interviewed by Bill O'Reilly along with Pat Boone at the 2000 Republican National Convention. Although her Designing Women character, Julia Sugarbaker, was known for her liberal political views and subsequent monologues, Carter disagreed with many of her character's left-of-center commentaries and made a deal with the producers that for every speech she had to make with which she disagreed, Julia would get to sing a song in a future episode.[5] Carter once jokingly described herself as "the only Republican in show business".[6] In her lifetime, Carter was also a strong supporter of the gay community.[7][8]"

    It doesn't get much to pay off a good conservative does it? Just look at the Republicans selling their souls to Trump.

  4. #4
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    45,185
    Thanks
    21112

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Maybe liberals should stop telling people what to do then.
    Maybe conservatives should stop telling people what to do. And what they cannot do.
    Thanks from labrea

  5. #5
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    49,645
    Thanks
    9229

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    That lady played a liberal but in real life she was more conservative than most.

    The following from wikipedia:

    "Dixie Carter was a registered Republican, who described her political views as libertarian.[4] She was interviewed by Bill O'Reilly along with Pat Boone at the 2000 Republican National Convention. Although her Designing Women character, Julia Sugarbaker, was known for her liberal political views and subsequent monologues, Carter disagreed with many of her character's left-of-center commentaries and made a deal with the producers that for every speech she had to make with which she disagreed, Julia would get to sing a song in a future episode.[5] Carter once jokingly described herself as "the only Republican in show business".[6] In her lifetime, Carter was also a strong supporter of the gay community.[7][8]"

    It doesn't get much to pay off a good conservative does it? Just look at the Republicans selling their souls to Trump.
    Nobody sole their soul to Trump, they just didn't want Hillary.
    Thanks from Humorme

  6. #6
    Senior Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,844
    Thanks
    6987

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Nobody sole their soul to Trump, they just didn't want Hillary.
    Before the election, voting for Trump, is one thing. I'am talking about since the election. If it had been a Democrat doing what Trump has been doing since the election they would have called for a trial and an electric chair already. All the Evangelicals and Mormons and fundamentalist Christians have sold their souls, lol, so much for moral integrity and patriotism.
    Last edited by Eve1; 14th May 2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  7. #7
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18,518
    Thanks
    14069

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Maybe liberals should stop telling people what to do then.

    I don't want to buy my neighbor healthcare so quit telling me I have to.

    I am an American.
    I don't want to pay a portion of my CAR INSURANCE premium because you might not have any! I don't want to pay for your alcoholism, drug use, obesity, road rage or domestic battering in the form of expenses passed on the to the state and the country--thus to me. I sure as hell don't want to pay for endless stupid ass wars not to mention making up for lost revenues for CORPORATIONS who pay little or NO taxes or shove the profits off shore.

    So you can pay for some portion of my fucking healthcare as I am more than sure I'm picking up some portion of your tab.
    Last edited by cpicturetaker12; 14th May 2017 at 06:21 PM.
    Thanks from labrea

  8. #8
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12,004
    Thanks
    9935

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    That lady played a liberal but in real life she was more conservative than most.

    The following from wikipedia:

    "Dixie Carter was a registered Republican, who described her political views as libertarian.[4] She was interviewed by Bill O'Reilly along with Pat Boone at the 2000 Republican National Convention. Although her Designing Women character, Julia Sugarbaker, was known for her liberal political views and subsequent monologues, Carter disagreed with many of her character's left-of-center commentaries and made a deal with the producers that for every speech she had to make with which she disagreed, Julia would get to sing a song in a future episode.[5] Carter once jokingly described herself as "the only Republican in show business".[6] In her lifetime, Carter was also a strong supporter of the gay community.[7][8]"

    It doesn't get much to pay off a good conservative does it? Just look at the Republicans selling their souls to Trump.
    I grew up in a Republican family and was a registered Republican myself for a time, although I voted candidate, not party. I never cottoned to most "Libertarian" philosophy as it sounds good in theory, but seems to lack practical thought and seems also to be yet one more "more freedom for me, at the cost of other people's freedom" "party". When the "neos" came in and took over what was a much grander old party, which was not without its concerns, many Republicans did not go along or approve and many, like myself left and eventually left.

    As one can see from the last election, one does not need overwhelming support, only just enough. Barry Goldwater's nickname was "Mr. Conservative", yet he and his family were/are very strong supporters of Planned Parenthood and most Republicans (as opposed to neo republicans) have no problems with homosexuality. The Anglican Church/Episcopalian in America, is made up mostly, of WASPs and is also a religion that closer to Catholicism than any other Christian denomination. Yet, it has also had not only women ministers, but openly gay ministers.

    The neo-republican party is FAR different than the Republican Party of earlier times. I cannot speak for Dixie Carter and now she can't clarify, but it is not so much about Dixie Carter's personal politics as what her character in the video expresses. In addition, many Republicans of old would be considered "liberals" by the current neo republican mindset, although a fair number of old school Republicans bought into the neo republican mindset, apparently latching onto the selfish, greedy notions promoted by neo republicanism.

    It is interesting that Carter was both for gay rights as well as jokingly or otherwise, thought of herself as the only Republican in show business, considering people like Ronald Reagan, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and others.....Now Donald Trump.

    Here is another video clip where she plays a woman (whether herself or as Sugarbaker) leaving a message for Donald Trump, in a different era (1991) and it also sums up what people thought of Trump them, that is in many ways how many think of him, today with all of his bragging and drawing attention to himself.




    There is also this note (as well as others) on the Wikipedia page about Dixie Carter - "This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)" Since Dixie Carter is no longer living, she, unfortunately cannot verify the truth of the statement about her political views.


    Some of the more ignorant posters here do not seem to understand how insurance works and how they have been buying their "neighbor's healthcare" all along.
    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 14th May 2017 at 06:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    49,645
    Thanks
    9229

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Before the election, voting for Trump, is one thing. I'am talking about since the election. If it had been a Democrat doing what Trump has been doing since the election they would have called for a trial and an electric chair already. All the Evangelicals and Mormons and fundamentalist Christians have sold their souls, lol, so much for moral integrity and patriotism.
    Your funny.

    Trump hasn't done anything yet.

    If Hillary had won and didn't accomplish a single thing I would be happy with that.

Similar Threads

  1. This Election in a Nutshell
    By Babba in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 1st March 2016, 05:09 PM
  2. In a nutshell...
    By bonncaruso in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28th January 2012, 10:46 PM
  3. In a Nutshell...
    By Gwendoline in forum Economics
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 7th April 2010, 07:57 PM
  4. My argument in a nutshell.
    By Dr.Knuckles in forum World Politics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 31st March 2010, 02:36 AM
  5. Hollywood in a nutshell
    By AgentM in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th March 2010, 08:28 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed