Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 146
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Younger Americans are moving away from religion

  1. #121
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    51,492
    Thanks
    2789

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    Why would he be charged with something for cheating on his wife?

    Try to keep up, would you? It's frustrating when we have to keep reminding you what we're talking about and you keep wandering off into the woods on your own.
    Sure, did Trump break the law that the left worships all the time. Lets hear about his criminal charges? Tell me this, did you reject Bill Clinton when he was getting a BJ in the White House by Monica Lewinsky?

  2. #122
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    51,492
    Thanks
    2789

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    It's not just younger Americans moving away from religion. Many of us older folks have too. I've seen enough hypocrisy, stupidity, and judgmental behavior from so called Christians to last a lifetime. Plus sitting in a Catholic Mass isn't much more exciting than watching paint dry, and as depressing as attending a funeral.
    I have to agree with you there. I was Episcopalian (which is a close cousin of Catholics) and my wife was a Catholic. Boring is right. We have both Spirit Filled Evangelicals now.

  3. #123
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    281

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    While you read a book by a bunch of people in the desert and accept their Argument by Assertion.

    If a defendant in court said "Your honor, I will call to the witness stand a giant, invisible rabbit, and he has all of the evidence that I am innocent.... But only I can see and hear the rabbit, so I will be transcribing everything he says and does," I will bet you wouldn't believe him.

    Yet you would be just as justified in believing that defendant as you would in believing the writers of the Holy Bible. They said "We are speaking for a supernatural God.... But only we can see and hear him, so we will be writing down everything he says and does in this book." And you blindly accept their Argument by Assertion.
    The bible employs numerous literary styles -- poetry, prophecy, apocalypses, fables, sayings, genealogy, historical chronicles, legal codes, proverbs, oracles, and, yes, even fiction. The point of writing the books, however, is to convey some FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH capable of addressing an audience thousands of years after they were written. It is not even meant to be an argument because the writers already assume you have what it takes to understand what they are saying in the first place.

    So what exactly are you trying to prove, hmmm?

  4. #124
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,792
    Thanks
    2604

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Sure, did Trump break the law that the left worships all the time. Lets hear about his criminal charges? Tell me this, did you reject Bill Clinton when he was getting a BJ in the White House by Monica Lewinsky?
    Honestly, this is like a two step logical process. Can you follow it? You say Trump naturally earned the vote of religious people; we say but he isn't religious and he acts very much anti-religious.

    Do you see that there is a conflict between those two things?

    So now is when you offer up an explanation for why it is that you think that an atheistic amoral unethical hedonist like Trump just naturally won the vote of religious people. You said it, but we're pointing out that this doesn't make any sense based on what we know of Trump, so please explain your statement.
    Last edited by splansing; 6th June 2017 at 01:29 PM.

  5. #125
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,470
    Thanks
    11795

    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Your first article was an opinion piece, drawing conclusions from FBI studies that are unfounded - there is no evidence of correlation. Are more men arrested because women are less likely to commit crimes? Or because they are better at getting away with committing crimes? Or because the law tends to be more forgiving of women offenders? See? Your article takes the raw data, and draws a conclusion that is simply not supported by just the raw dats provided.

    Your second article purports to be about how unscientific liberals are, yet, even in the article it states, "Concerns about vaccine safety and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are often held up as evidence of anti-scientific beliefs among liberals. But opinion polls about those two issues rarely ask about political affiliation the way polls about climate change and evolution do." It then goes on to demonstrate a equivocation that would seem to contradict your point: "The exception is a 2009 Pew Research survey, which indicated that Democrats and Republicans appear to support child vaccination equally (71 percent of both favor it)."

    You keep posting these articles. Are you expecting me to not read them, and discover that they don't claim what you claim they do, at least not effectively?

    Why not just stick to the topic. This isn't about conservative, and liberal. There are plenty of irrational theistic adherents to religion in both ideologies. This is about reason over superstitious religion.
    Come on, you know these people, they copy links, dodge, deflect. They don't read their stupid links, they know they don't support what they believe, but they just do it anyway. They don't read anything, they expect everybody else to be as lazy and dishonest as them

  6. #126
    Junior Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,300
    Thanks
    164

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    I have to agree with you there. I was Episcopalian (which is a close cousin of Catholics) and my wife was a Catholic. Boring is right. We have both Spirit Filled Evangelicals now.
    Anglicans (Episcopalian) are not Catholics. Question: Would you say the church of the Evangelicals is "the USA"?

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 15th June 2017 at 08:01 AM.

  7. #127
    Junior Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,300
    Thanks
    164

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    There is no federal recognition of atheism as a religion.
    Atheism is a belief.
    Last edited by zaangalewa; 16th June 2017 at 03:37 AM.

  8. #128
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]Notice the part I emphasised. So, the proverbial verdict is in: As the older generation dies, religion, and myth is being replaced with logic, and reason. I expect it won't be long before the theists come rushing in to explain how the study doesn't really mean what it means. Either that, or they'll just ignore this OP all together, and hope that no one notices it.
    That's really more of a myth than reality.

    What is true is that mass media is taking the place of conventional religion; because prior to the modern area of mass communication, things such as music, literature, and arts were often solely under the domain of churches.

    Today modern television, radio, and social media has provided an alternative to traditional organized religions.

    But assuming that this means people are becoming more "logical" is naive; the reality is that many of the people who used to attend church for the donuts and coffee are just saying home and watching the boob tube, and their favorite Reality TV star, radio host, or Youtube political personality has now taken the place of their community pastor or priest.



    in fact, the largest atheist rally in the country couldn't even attract more than 1,000 members. as shown above.
    Last edited by Reality; 17th August 2017 at 02:17 PM.

  9. #129
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    51,492
    Thanks
    2789

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    Honestly, this is like a two step logical process. Can you follow it? You say Trump naturally earned the vote of religious people; we say but he isn't religious and he acts very much anti-religious.

    Do you see that there is a conflict between those two things?

    So now is when you offer up an explanation for why it is that you think that an atheistic amoral unethical hedonist like Trump just naturally won the vote of religious people. You said it, but we're pointing out that this doesn't make any sense based on what we know of Trump, so please explain your statement.
    Granted Trump is far from being a preacher, but we elected a man that promised to support the religious cause. Hillary called us "Deplorables", so that a definate no for her. Long story short. The choice was the best one at that time.

  10. #130
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86,166
    Thanks
    61301

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Granted Trump is far from being a preacher, but we elected a man that promised to support the religious cause. Hillary called us "Deplorables", so that a definate no for her. Long story short. The choice was the best one at that time.
    Pastor first to quit Trump's evangelical advisory board - CNNPolitics

    A.R. Bernard announced on Twitter Friday that "it became obvious that there was a deepening conflict in values between myself and the administration."

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 21st February 2016, 10:34 AM
  2. 7 States Where Americans Are Moving - Texas is #2
    By meridian5455 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th November 2015, 04:34 PM
  3. Texas Gov. Rick Perry: Americans have no right to freedom from religion
    By aboutenough in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: 22nd June 2013, 06:27 AM
  4. Less-Educated Americans Turning Their Backs on Religion
    By Christopher in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 13th September 2011, 09:50 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed