Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63
Thanks Tree56Thanks

Thread: Is Stephen King At Fault For Terror Attacks?

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    In fact, there was a film called Class Action, starring Gene Hackman and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, involving a case similar to the Ford Pinto issue.


    I have a copy of that! Didn't even know it was a King story.
    I think it was a short story. His collections of them are so uneven, and there are so many of them, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend anyone wade in and read them ALL. But there are some GEMS in the bunch.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    97,922
    Thanks
    4531

    From
    Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    How gently can I say this? The US has probably the most violent, sadistic and inventive psychopaths on the planet. This has nothing to do with inspiring fear in others or having a scary reputation, as a criminal gang or terror group would seek.

    This is about reveling in another person's fear and pain, for pure pleasure. Usually in private.

    Have you seen the movie SE7EN?

    The FBI estimates there are 35 or more active serial killers in the US at any time.
    I don't know that that's true. Maybe the US has such a lot of people, capable law enforcement, and such sensational media that when it happens there you hear all about it in fine gruesome detail.

    Karla Holmolka up here participated in the violent rape torture and murder of her own sister - over an endless period - and got off Scott free by testifying against the man.
    Thanks from Madeline and The Man

  3. #43
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I don't know that that's true. Maybe the US has such a lot of people, capable law enforcement, and such sensational media that when it happens there you hear all about it in fine gruesome detail.

    Karla Holmolka up here participated in the violent rape torture and murder of her own sister - over an endless period - and got off Scott free by testifying against the man.
    I recall that case. She's the Myra Hinkley of Canada.

    You have probably the same proportion of serial killers as the US, population-wise, although there seems to be serious problem in the rural Western Canada, as to women and girls, especially First Nation ones. THOUSANDS of disappearances or unsolved homicides, where the bodies were left in the woods, etc.

    It's not as this is prize I hope the US wins! LOL.

    (I bet there are some huge numbers of evil-doers in China we will never hear about, too.)

    There's a famous case of a Soviet police detective who solved a decades-long child killer case involved dozens of victims. He was hampered in his investigation by the Communist Party's Official Position that serial killers only happen in the "decadent West", and risked everything, including a trip to the Gulags, to solve it and bring the killer to justice.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo

    One of the founders of the FBI Behavioral Science unit called Det. Chikatilo the "finest detective for serial killings in history" or words to that effect. (I can't find the exact quote, darn it.)

    @The Man...have you heard of this case?

    Anyway, whether the US has some unique cultural feature that makes it the most fertile breeding ground on earth for evil psychopaths actually has been debated among psychologists.

    I think it's an interesting convo, but hardly likely to yield any new theories we can use to suppress such crimes.
    Thanks from The Man

  4. #44
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    32,926
    Thanks
    18740

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I don't know that that's true. Maybe the US has such a lot of people, capable law enforcement, and such sensational media that when it happens there you hear all about it in fine gruesome detail.

    Karla Holmolka up here participated in the violent rape torture and murder of her own sister - over an endless period - and got off Scott free by testifying against the man.
    I thought she still did a BIT of time though? Not nearly enough, of course...

    But anyway, yeah... And Russia has this dude: My son is innocent, insists father of Manchester Arena bomber

    Up to 83 victims!

    Including his own daughter's music teacher from her school


    These small towns in rural Siberia... Nobody even knows what goes on inside many of them. There was another one, mining town, in Kemerovo region, a gang of corrupt policemen ran the place for nearly 20 years, since early 90s; they literally killed off most local gangsters and serious criminals, and replaced them, collecting "protection fees" from local businesses and such. Tortured people in their jail and forced them to work in their illegal mine. One guy who rebelled against them at the jail, they tortured him to death, and then put up photos of his mangled corpse in the jail mess hall, as a lesson to the others... Assassinated and executed anyone who got in their way, including a high ranking regional prosecutor who had begun investigating them. In the end, it took the head cop's own wife escaping with the kids, when she became afraid of him, for Moscow to learn of it all. Federal special forces were sent in to restore order in that place. I believe they killed one of the policemen, the SOBR (SWAT) commander, a brain damaged veteran of the Chechen Wars who served as the police chief's personal hitman. Guy came out of his house with an AK in each hand, blasting. Sniper cut him down. Guess he preferred to go out blazing...

    Yeah, no, America got nothing on Russia lol

    As far as gruesome horror flucks though, Japan knows no equals. I have been watchibg lots of Asian movies lately. I am into foreign films, its both fun and educational, you learn about other countries, how people live there. Well, Japanese horror is nuts. Screwed up lol Scariest things I ever seen...
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #45
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    97,922
    Thanks
    4531

    From
    Vancouver
    The Missing Women thing here is so sensitive. And a lot of the blame, a lot of it, falls on the RCMP.

    But fuck me, as horrible as it is to say, and as much as a victims mother doesn't want to hear it, how the HELL are police supposed to know when a transient with no address and severe drug and mental health issues, who survives by doing illegal things and is doing everything they can to hide from police - goes missing?

    How can police possibly know that a homeless prostitute with warrants is missing?

    But you can't say that to a Truth and Reconciliation Committee.

    It's our job to know (shrug).
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    97,922
    Thanks
    4531

    From
    Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I thought she still did a BIT of time though? Not nearly enough, of course...

    But anyway, yeah... And Russia has this dude: My son is innocent, insists father of Manchester Arena bomber

    Up to 83 victims!

    Including his own daughter's music teacher from her school


    These small towns in rural Siberia... Nobody even knows what goes on inside many of them. There was another one, mining town, in Kemerovo region, a gang of corrupt policemen ran the place for nearly 20 years, since early 90s; they literally killed off most local gangsters and serious criminals, and replaced them, collecting "protection fees" from local businesses and such. Tortured people in their jail and forced them to work in their illegal mine. One guy who rebelled against them at the jail, they tortured him to death, and then put up photos of his mangled corpse in the jail mess hall, as a lesson to the others... Assassinated and executed anyone who got in their way, including a high ranking regional prosecutor who had begun investigating them. In the end, it took the head cop's own wife escaping with the kids, when she became afraid of him, for Moscow to learn of it all. Federal special forces were sent in to restore order in that place. I believe they killed one of the policemen, the SOBR (SWAT) commander, a brain damaged veteran of the Chechen Wars who served as the police chief's personal hitman. Guy came out of his house with an AK in each hand, blasting. Sniper cut him down. Guess he preferred to go out blazing...

    Yeah, no, America got nothing on Russia lol

    As far as gruesome horror flucks though, Japan knows no equals. I have been watchibg lots of Asian movies lately. I am into foreign films, its both fun and educational, you learn about other countries, how people live there. Well, Japanese horror is nuts. Screwed up lol Scariest things I ever seen...
    Oh that reminds me - there's a Japanese schoolgirl slasher on Netflix I've got my eye on. He he.

    (I think Koreans are challenging Japanese for the horror movie title these days)
    Last edited by Dr.Knuckles; 24th May 2017 at 07:47 PM.
    Thanks from Madeline

  7. #47
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I thought she still did a BIT of time though? Not nearly enough, of course...

    But anyway, yeah... And Russia has this dude: My son is innocent, insists father of Manchester Arena bomber

    Up to 83 victims!

    Including his own daughter's music teacher from her school


    These small towns in rural Siberia... Nobody even knows what goes on inside many of them. There was another one, mining town, in Kemerovo region, a gang of corrupt policemen ran the place for nearly 20 years, since early 90s; they literally killed off most local gangsters and serious criminals, and replaced them, collecting "protection fees" from local businesses and such. Tortured people in their jail and forced them to work in their illegal mine. One guy who rebelled against them at the jail, they tortured him to death, and then put up photos of his mangled corpse in the jail mess hall, as a lesson to the others... Assassinated and executed anyone who got in their way, including a high ranking regional prosecutor who had begun investigating them. In the end, it took the head cop's own wife escaping with the kids, when she became afraid of him, for Moscow to learn of it all. Federal special forces were sent in to restore order in that place. I believe they killed one of the policemen, the SOBR (SWAT) commander, a brain damaged veteran of the Chechen Wars who served as the police chief's personal hitman. Guy came out of his house with an AK in each hand, blasting. Sniper cut him down. Guess he preferred to go out blazing...

    Yeah, no, America got nothing on Russia lol

    As far as gruesome horror flucks though, Japan knows no equals. I have been watchibg lots of Asian movies lately. I am into foreign films, its both fun and educational, you learn about other countries, how people live there. Well, Japanese horror is nuts. Screwed up lol Scariest things I ever seen...
    What I think is, if you can imagine some gruesome evil act, someone is doing it. Probably THOUSANDS are doing it across the globe.

    And they always have done. Serial killing is not a feature of modern life. But its detection and media coverage certainly is.

    Humans just do not seem to evolve, as to their set-point for kindness, etc. We 21st century humans are every bit as savage as the worst of the Ancient Romans, cheering on hideously gruesome deaths in the Coliseum.

    (I have heard the Koreans are putting out some astonishingly sadistic films of late, too.)

  8. #48
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    Oh that reminds me - there's a Japanese schoolgirl slasher on Netflix I've got my eye on. He he.

    (I think Koreans are challenging Japanese for the horror movie title these days)
    I have a hard time with Asian films. Which is odd, because I manage well with the Nordic ones, using subtitles.

    BTW, have you seen the Department Q movies in Netflix? They're great. You'll have to Google; there are 3 of them, and they all have their own titles.

    Every bit as good as the Lisbet Salandar films, like the Dragon Tattoo.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    97,922
    Thanks
    4531

    From
    Vancouver
    What is VERY unique about US TV and movies since the 90s is the anti-Government theme that is prevalent in every genre of Hollywood movie except war movies and Kids animations. It is overwhelming. It's relentless.

    The Government is a perfectly good villain for a story, but My God ... it's like 75% of American TV and movies movies now the Government is either psychopathic, inept, or both.

    And I don't know if it's art imitating life or the other way around - where a steady diet of that is actually causing Government mistrust.
    Thanks from Madeline

  10. #50
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    97,922
    Thanks
    4531

    From
    Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I have a hard time with Asian films. Which is odd, because I manage well with the Nordic ones, using subtitles.

    BTW, have you seen the Department Q movies in Netflix? They're great. You'll have to Google; there are 3 of them, and they all have their own titles.

    Every bit as good as the Lisbet Salandar films, like the Dragon Tattoo.
    Haha. That's funny because I tapped out in the middle of the first "Dragon Tattoo" book as it was just too much for me. Too heavy.

    But I was the guy sneering at Hunger Games" saying it's a total rip off of Japan's "Battle Royal".

    (Which it is)

    (And note the evil Government theme there, too)
    Thanks from Madeline

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stephen King can't take it anymore
    By BDBoop in forum Current Events
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 25th May 2016, 06:56 PM
  2. Draft Stephen King
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 24th March 2015, 07:24 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed