Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 787
Thanks Tree323Thanks

Thread: Creation Museum build Ark

  1. #51
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    50,084
    Thanks
    2744

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    All anthropological research indicates the trend was the opposite way with much shorter lifespans then.
    http://www.amendez.com/NAES/Noahs_Ar...0Longevity.pdf
    good article on this

  2. #52
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    59,984
    Thanks
    32215

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Earlier, I asked you
    What reason is there to believe they lived to be hundreds of years older some time in the past, other than this text?
    You've now answered me, and apparently you don't have any evidence other than the text. From your article:
    No one is omnipotent like God therefore many of the things He did to enable man to live as long as he did will probably never be discovered or can be recreated.
    Your article just makes claims. It offers no evidence those claims are true. There's no reason to believe that our genetic material is less strong than it was many generations (or many thousands of generations) ago, or whatever it is this article claims.

    If you claim "the omnipotence of God" as your basis for a claim, you can claim anything, and thus it means nothing.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Panzareta

  3. #53
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35,820
    Thanks
    37894

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Common and Unexpected Findings in Mummies from Ancient Egypt and South America as Revealed by CT by Christian Jackowski, Stephen Bollinger, and Michael J. Thali (Radiographics, September 2008)
    Computed tomography (CT) has proved to be a valuable investigative tool for mummy research and is the method of choice for examining mummies. It allows for noninvasive insight, especially with virtual endoscopy, which reveals detailed information about the mummy’s sex, age, constitution, injuries, health, and mummification techniques used. CT also supplies three-dimensional information about the scanned object.
    Guess what, all of them died with normal lifespans or shortened by disease, accident or war. None lived to be over even 100, let alone 900.

    Introduction to Mummy Forensics: Terms, Concepts, and Resources
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  4. #54
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7,394
    Thanks
    4451

    From
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Let me sum up your long link with one image:



    I couldn't see any actual facts being presented.
    Thanks from OldGaffer, BigLeRoy and Dangermouse

  5. #55
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,175
    Thanks
    250

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    And yet many American Christians think the King James Bible is the be-all-and-end-all of Biblical reference, just because it sounds cooler (or older, or something).

    Unfortunately, unless we are fluent in Hebrew and Coine Greek, it's impossible to have a discussion of this issue. I mean...I could ask you to show that "in Hebrew, the flood was regional" but neither of us (I suspect) could understand the evidence for that argument.

    Tell me, since ancient peoples didn't know anything about the globe as a whole, how could the writer of Genesis one tell the difference between "regional" and "worldwide?"

    In every discussion of this kind, I find that traditionalists and particularly literalists are forced into either 1) arguments that are based on evidence we can't effectively examine, or 2) vagaries of ambiguity that are supported by no outside evidence and don't even appear internally consistent.
    And yet many American Christians think the King James Bible is the be-all-and-end-all of Biblical reference, just because it sounds cooler (or older, or something)
    .

    The version does not matter as long as it is an honest translation. The message does not change.

    Unfortunately, unless we are fluent in Hebrew and Coine Greek, it's impossible to have a discussion of this issue. I mean...I could ask you to show that "in Hebrew, the flood was regional" but neither of us (I suspect) could understand the evidence for that argument.

    Tell me, since ancient peoples didn't know anything about the globe as a whole, how could the writer of Genesis one tell the difference between "regional" and "worldwide?"
    There are several words used in the Bible to describe a region or area and the entire world. Two of those words and their usage are erets and tebel. When Cain was banished, the word used was erits. Cain banished from his area, his land. The Bible uses the word erets over fifteen hundred times describing an area of land, not the world.

    The word used in the Bible to describe the universe or the world is tebel. The word tebel was used thirty-six times to describe the entire world in the Old Testament.

    It is not so much the word, which an mean different things, but how the word was used.

    In every discussion of this kind, I find that traditionalists and particularly literalists are forced into either 1) arguments that are based on evidence we can't effectively examine, or 2) vagaries of ambiguity that are supported by no outside evidence and don't even appear internally consistent.
    There are many archeological studies that support a regional flood.

    The debate of one thing is wrong and another thing is right regarding the Bible can be acrimonious and mean-spirited as are most debates regarding religion. I have my knowledge base and that is fine for me and you can have yours. I am not going to attempt to change your mind and you cannot change mine. I will engage in a civil exchange on our collective knowledge regarding the topic.

  6. #56
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,175
    Thanks
    250

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    The second series of questions that arises from your post is: If in fact this part of the bible is just plain incorrect, then what other parts are, and who decides which parts are really the word of god and which parts are a mistake some men made?
    There is no right or wrong. There is no mistakes regarding translations. Translating Hebrew into other languages is subjective and tricky. It does not change the meaning of the Bible. Whether the flood was worldwide or regional has zero impact regarding understanding the Bible.

    The Old Testament is often used interchangeably with the Torah. I use the Old Testament to describe parts of the Torah just because it is easier for others to understand.

  7. #57
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,175
    Thanks
    250

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    What reason is there to believe they lived to be hundreds of years older some time in the past, other than this text? Lifespans have gotten LONGER as we have ended communicable disease, but few live to be 100, even. Those who DO live a long time find their bodies wear out so much they can't do very much at all. You want us to believe that not only people lived to be 10x+ as old as we do today AND they remained physically young and virile?

    Seriously? With no evidence other than this text, which we could be misinterpreting (because words and numbers are slipperier than age-related degeneration)?
    There is a marked delineation before and after the flood regarding longevity.

  8. #58
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7,394
    Thanks
    4451

    From
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    There is no right or wrong. There is no mistakes regarding translations. Translating Hebrew into other languages is subjective and tricky. It does not change the meaning of the Bible. Whether the flood was worldwide or regional has zero impact regarding understanding the Bible.

    The Old Testament is often used interchangeably with the Torah. I use the Old Testament to describe parts of the Torah just because it is easier for others to understand.
    Total doublethink. But you dodge the question as to why your version and that of all the biblical scholars who did the translation into English are so different. If there is no right or wrong, then there is no fact behind it.

    You are saying that the meaning has zero impact regarding understanding it?

    As I said, doublethink.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  9. #59
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7,394
    Thanks
    4451

    From
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    There is a marked delineation before and after the flood regarding longevity.
    Do you have any links to those studies that report a significant regional flood?

    And if it was just regional, then again the bible lies.
    Last edited by RNG; 27th May 2017 at 03:19 PM.

  10. #60
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35,820
    Thanks
    37894

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    There is a marked delineation before and after the flood regarding longevity.
    There is no physical evidence of that. Remains from before and after the time of the flood have been examined and age at death determined...no 900 year olds have been found.

Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New museum in Ukraine
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th May 2015, 10:09 AM
  2. When we get to 6 million can we build a holocaust museum?
    By maddas in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10th December 2014, 02:59 PM
  3. Homeschooler Mom in Science Museum
    By Babba in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 7th December 2014, 10:13 AM
  4. CIA Museum
    By Muninn in forum World History
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th August 2013, 07:04 PM
  5. The Bush museum got me going on this statistic....
    By bonncaruso in forum Current Events
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29th April 2013, 10:57 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed