Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
Thanks Tree27Thanks

Thread: Top 6 Novels Billionaires Say Shaped Their Views

  1. #21
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11,998
    Thanks
    9928

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    And yes. It is more important to me to know what you read, @KnotaFrayed. I have respect for your POVs.
    You are very kind Madeline.....I like to hear what anyone is reading.....I like stories that make me think and feel.. The author's backgrounds and net worth are interesting to read about also, but of no specific income level or background......all are interesting. Some may not capture my attention for long, while others make be search for other books they have written

    I feel the same way about your POV's..... I know we don't align on everything, but that's a good thing and we do agree on so much....

    Here's a few more......This is a good exercise for me....it makes me recall, so great books....Thanks!


    QB VII – Leon Uris


    A Soldier of the Great War – Mark Halprin


    Seven Years in Tibet - Heinrich Harrer
    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 14th June 2017 at 08:23 PM.
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    You are very kind Madeline.....I like to hear what anyone is reading.....I like stories that make me think and feel.. The author's backgrounds and net worth are interesting to read about also, but of no specific income level or background......all are interesting. Some may not capture my attention for long, while others make be search for other books they have written

    I feel the same way about your POV's..... I know we don't align on everything, but that's a good thing and we do agree on so much....

    Here's a few more......This is a good exercise for me....it makes me recall, so great books....Thanks!


    QB VII – Leon Uris


    A Soldier of the Great War – Mark Halprin


    Seven Years in Tibet - Heinrich Harrer
    I have not read any of them. This thread is like a delicious new librarian, helping me awaken some old, old revolutionary parts of my brain.

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Madeline,

    I don't know if you call it inspirational, but ones that stuck with me:

    1. "A Garden of Sand" Earl Thompson

    2. "Love in the Time of Cholera" and "100 Years of Solitude" Gabriel Garcia Marquez

    3. "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" and "Still Life with Woodpecker" Tom Robbins

    4. "Siddartha" Herman Hess

    5. "Manhattan Transfer" and the "America" trilogy by John Dos Passos

    6. "Breakfast of Champions" Kurt Vonnegut

    7. "Droll Stories" Balzac

    8. "The Decameron" Baccaccio

    9. "The Death of Artemio Cruz" Carlos Fuentes

    and one I read that was just fun:

    10. "Dona Flor and her Two Husbands" Jorge Amado
    Shaping my world view, mind you. Yours are great choices, and I haven't read them all. These recommendations are great!

    I would add:

    The Plague, by Albert Camus

    Madam Bovary, by Gustav Flaubert

    All the Miss Marple novels, but especially Nemesis

  4. #24
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    Is this a billionaire-only bookstore? Does it have a golden toilet?
    It is a news article I linked as interesting. I do not run CNBC.

  5. #25
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    You absolutely MUST read the Foundation series! As classic as they come. The original three (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Founation) were originally short stories, that were later compiled into these three novels. Later, Asimov penned Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, and other authors (following Asimov's death) added to the history.

    Oh, and you should also read the robot short stories and novels (the novels being Caves of Steel; The Naked Sun; Robots of Dawn; and Robots and Empire), all of which take place in the same universe.

    Then there are other novels also occurring in the same universe: The Stars Like Dust; Currents of Space; and Pebble in the Sky.

    Those should keep you busy for a couple days.

    (Did I miss any?)
    Arrgh. Science fiction!

    I feel virtuous for having read ANY of it. Lol.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    I was expecting The Art of War to be on this list.
    Not a novel. Maybe "Guns of August"?

  7. #27
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    45,170
    Thanks
    21101

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Arrgh. Science fiction!

    I feel virtuous for having read ANY of it. Lol.
    As well you should. Reading science fiction is, itself, a virtue.
    Thanks from Madeline

  8. #28
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    As well you should. Reading science fiction is, itself, a virtue.
    Every man I have ever been fond of says this.

    Lol.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  9. #29
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    27,987
    Thanks
    22322

    From
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post


    Not I; this is a title I am unfamiliar with.
    I recomend the Foundation novels, and I don't usually like science fiction.
    Thanks from Madeline

  10. #30
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,093
    Thanks
    28050

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    I recomend the Foundation novels, and I don't usually like science fiction.
    I already read one Asminov novel! Lol.

    This is exactly how I feel about Shakespeare. I already read one!

    Are there movies based on these Asminov Foundation books?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th December 2015, 07:14 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11th September 2014, 08:22 AM
  3. Top Dystopian Novels
    By Divine Wind in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15th December 2010, 09:17 AM
  4. Confession: MAD Magazine shaped my political views
    By Davocrat in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14th December 2010, 03:27 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed