Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By Robert Urbanek
  • 1 Post By galatin
  • 3 Post By galatin
  • 1 Post By galatin
  • 1 Post By Madeline

Thread: It is afternoon in America

  1. #1
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,034
    Thanks
    1307

    From
    Vacaville, CA

    It is afternoon in America

    The 1984 presidential campaign of Ronald Reagan proclaimed “It’s morning again in America.” Times have changed. Instead of the “shining city on a hill” envisioned by Reagan, our nation has become a tarnished, corrupt slum.

    It is now afternoon in America. The falling sun is harsh and unforgiving, and will burn away the filth and wretched excess. When the sun touches the earth, America as we know it shall cease to exist.

    Culture predicts reality. The 1996 movie, Independence Day, in which fire covered everything, was followed the next year by the movie Titanic, in which water covered everything: an omen of global warming to be followed by global flooding.

    Fire consumes all. Water cleanses. It separates the foul from the pure. The wicked from the innocent. And that which sinks from that which rises. He destroys all, but only to start again. — Russell Crowe as the title character, Noah (2014)
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1787

    From
    Switzerland
    I guess it is more the fading of the American myths and the difficulty to have new ones, which is the problem. Unlike many other countries the USA could rely during a very long time on a dynamics in projecting images of themselves most people were integrating in their minds as a representation of their own reality. It is all about the American dreams. But things did change and now the future for many is uncertain. Furthermore the US realize that even though they are a great player, they are less unique as they felt to be before. It is deeply disturbing and politicians often focus on appearances to try to comfort their voters, but have a hard time to see where are the real issues. The US population will have rather soon a majority of non white inhabitants and it is deeply disturbing, because the active element in what made the US was white, theoritically anglo-saxon and upside that there is globalization. So the US are also sick at their leadership because they do not frame the world trends as much as before.

    It is probably at this point that the difference with Europe is striking. In Europe leadership was lost long ago, globalization may revolt some, but we know there is no other choice than to follow the trend. So Europeans are no more in a position to refuse reality and the consequence is to adjust to it. And it is an easier position than the one of the US. You have not to protect your own image. As a conclusion I understand how it is difficult for the US to adjust to the new world order, because it is to accepting having lost their previous position. And probably the election of Mr. Trump is the symptom of that difficulty. When you loose control, you try to catch whatever you can to save what is left. Here it is an image of America. But probably without that image life would be still possible and would offer other opportunities. Whatever happens the USA will remain a great country and will never need to be great again!
    Last edited by Ian Jeffrey; 1st September 2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: per galatin's request
    Thanks from Madeline

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1787

    From
    Switzerland
    Something bizarre happened and I do not know from where after the first paragraph this text came i am unable to erase it....

  4. #4
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    50,577
    Thanks
    23980

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    Something bizarre happened and I do not know from where after the first paragraph this text came i am unable to erase it....
    You should be able to edit your post to remove unwanted material. Let me know if you cannot, and I'll erase whatever you need removed.

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1787

    From
    Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    You should be able to edit your post to remove unwanted material. Let me know if you cannot, and I'll erase whatever you need removed.
    It is very nice from you and I appreciate it, thank you. If you can maintain post 2 from "I guess to....again !" And erase what is coming after, it would be very nice. I like your posts and the way you address issues. It is always well thought and with you, even if emotion is present, you are always bringing real and well structured elements.
    Thanks from Friday13, Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  6. #6
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    50,577
    Thanks
    23980

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    It is very nice from you and I appreciate it, thank you. If you can maintain post 2 from "I guess to....again !" And erase what is coming after, it would be very nice.
    Done.

    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    I like your posts and the way you address issues. It is always well thought and with you, even if emotion is present, you are always bringing real and well structured elements.
    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1787

    From
    Switzerland
    Thanks for having done it......
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,360
    Thanks
    29715

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    The 1984 presidential campaign of Ronald Reagan proclaimed “It’s morning again in America.” Times have changed. Instead of the “shining city on a hill” envisioned by Reagan, our nation has become a tarnished, corrupt slum.

    It is now afternoon in America. The falling sun is harsh and unforgiving, and will burn away the filth and wretched excess. When the sun touches the earth, America as we know it shall cease to exist.

    Culture predicts reality. The 1996 movie, Independence Day, in which fire covered everything, was followed the next year by the movie Titanic, in which water covered everything: an omen of global warming to be followed by global flooding.

    Fire consumes all. Water cleanses. It separates the foul from the pure. The wicked from the innocent. And that which sinks from that which rises. He destroys all, but only to start again. — Russell Crowe as the title character, Noah (2014)
    Not just climate change.

    The Boomer population bomb. The economic disruption robots will cause. The worldwide population explosion. The growing threat of nuclear war.

    I wonder how many people will live in the U.S. in 100 years. A few hundred thousand?

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,360
    Thanks
    29715

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    It is very nice from you and I appreciate it, thank you. If you can maintain post 2 from "I guess to....again !" And erase what is coming after, it would be very nice. I like your posts and the way you address issues. It is always well thought and with you, even if emotion is present, you are always bringing real and well structured elements.
    @Ian Jeffrey is like a favorite, wise older brother in a family full of juvenile delinquents.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

Similar Threads

  1. Good Afternoon
    By Dr. A in forum New Users
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th February 2010, 02:40 PM
  2. Good afternoon PH.
    By Think for myself in forum New Users
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11th April 2009, 05:23 PM
  3. Good Afternoon!
    By Sleeping Dog in forum New Users
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th January 2008, 04:40 AM
  4. Good Afternoon to You All...
    By The Doctor in forum New Users
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21st September 2006, 02:06 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed