Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
Thanks Tree58Thanks

Thread: Why atheism is a lost cause...

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,360
    Thanks
    29715

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    1. If there is no God or higher power, then religions don't have to be "right", they just have to "win" politically, because "right/wrong" is meaningless beyond what those in power decide. And since population-wise, atheists are a minority while world religions have billions of followers, there is next to no chance of atheism "winning".

    Being "right" is meaningless unless one believes in a higher power, because if there isn't one, then only "might" makes "right".

    2. If there is a God or higher power, then atheism is a likely road to damnation.

    So either way, atheism as a "movement" is pointless and futile, and there's no practical reason to be an atheist, even if a person believes religions are false, they'd be better off just "doing what Romans do" and be on the winning "side" than picking the losing side which has nothing to gain in fighting a "war" against religion it can never win.
    What nonsense. Morality is absolutely necessary to human survival. It has certain genetic links. It allows for cooperation, group living, and continuation of the species.

    Morality also exists in every species of mammals, birds, fish and, as we are starting to discover, plants.
    Thanks from Babba, OHjulie, Friday13 and 1 others

  2. #12
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,115
    Thanks
    3347

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    1. If there is no God or higher power, then religions don't have to be "right", they just have to "win" politically, because "right/wrong" is meaningless beyond what those in power decide. And since population-wise, atheists are a minority while world religions have billions of followers, there is next to no chance of atheism "winning".

    Being "right" is meaningless unless one believes in a higher power, because if there isn't one, then only "might" makes "right".

    2. If there is a God or higher power, then atheism is a likely road to damnation.

    So either way, atheism as a "movement" is pointless and futile, and there's no practical reason to be an atheist, even if a person believes religions are false, they'd be better off just "doing what Romans do" and be on the winning "side" than picking the losing side which has nothing to gain in fighting a "war" against religion it can never win.
    Why do you have the devil as your avatar?

  3. #13
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,298
    Thanks
    7877

    From
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by OHjulie View Post
    Why do you have the devil as your avatar?
    That's a lower power...

  4. #14
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,989
    Thanks
    45553

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isalexi View Post
    Not really...all they have to do is repent.
    I had a fundamentalist friend on FB come right out and tell me that deeds don't mater. They just have to accept Christ. Period.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,360
    Thanks
    29715

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The Op seems shocked to discover that debate on PH requires more than an exchange of "fuck you's".

    Ya us.

    Adapt or "go extinct", sir. You have wandered into a thicket of intelligent, thoughtful people.

  6. #16
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,115
    Thanks
    3347

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    That's a lower power...
    And a power that's more of a threat to his own faith in God....than atheists.
    Thanks from Babylon

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,360
    Thanks
    29715

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by OHjulie View Post
    And a power that's more of a threat to his own faith in God....than atheists.
    Actual people of faith never speak the way the Op has.

    There is no actual spirituality motivating that kind of crap.
    Thanks from OHjulie

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,360
    Thanks
    29715

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I had a fundamentalist friend on FB come right out and tell me that deeds don't mater. They just have to accept Christ. Period.
    My favorite is the Catholics. Live, commit a string of mortal sins, die, get sent to Hell, and THEN.....

    Your relatives can buy you eternity in paradise (plenary indulgences) on the cheap from any parish priest!

    If that doesn't blow your mind.....morality is totally nonessential. All you really need is a few bucks paid out after you die, and you too can spend eternity with the angels.

  9. #19
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,890
    Thanks
    5121

    From
    Between everywhere
    I'm still torn between FSM and Phil, the prince of insufficient light.
    Thanks from Dangermouse, Friday13 and Ian Jeffrey

  10. #20
    Voice of Reason ProgressivePatriot's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,741
    Thanks
    1098

    From
    The liberal commie infested, queer loving north east USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    1. If there is no God or higher power, then religions don't have to be "right", they just have to "win" politically, because "right/wrong" is meaningless beyond what those in power decide. And since population-wise, atheists are a minority while world religions have billions of followers, there is next to no chance of atheism "winning".

    Being "right" is meaningless unless one believes in a higher power, because if there isn't one, then only "might" makes "right".

    2. If there is a God or higher power, then atheism is a likely road to damnation.

    So either way, atheism as a "movement" is pointless and futile, and there's no practical reason to be an atheist, even if a person believes religions are false, they'd be better off just "doing what Romans do" and be on the winning "side" than picking the losing side which has nothing to gain in fighting a "war" against religion it can never win.
    You have summed up the problem with religion very nicely. Too many people believe that there has to be winners or losers and religion is to often politicized and used as a weapon against those who don't believe or believe differently that those of the dominant religion and if governments and majority groups embraced the true meaning of religious freedom.

    Everyone could win if everybody just stayed out of everybody else's spiritual business.

    As far as the possibility of their being a higher power goes, even if there is, it does not mean that God-whatever form he or she takes- is a vindictive god who demands that everyone worship her and obey her or even believe in her under the threat eternal damnation. That is just more made up equine excrement intended to control people through fear
    Last edited by ProgressivePatriot; 2nd September 2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Thanks from Madeline, RNG and Friday13

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Arguments for Atheism
    By heirtothewind in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 3rd November 2014, 04:02 PM
  2. Is Atheism Irrational?
    By Loki in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 29th August 2014, 08:32 PM
  3. Atheism as a religion
    By kmiller1610 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 17th March 2011, 01:40 AM
  4. the B**BQUAKE - 911 the end of atheism
    By liberator2010 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd October 2010, 08:13 AM
  5. atheism
    By freecell in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 29th January 2008, 02:24 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed