Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Fantasy, or Reality?

  1. #11
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,036
    Thanks
    10573

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    That's adorable. You pretend that I have never been a Christian, or attended a church, so your bullshit would sound reasonable. Sure. Invocations, and general prayers are for the purpose you claim. Intercessory prayer, on the other hand, absolutely is not. The whole point of intercessory prayer is the believe that if the person, or group of people, pray hard enough, and have enough "faith" that God will intercede on their behalf and of the person being prayed for, and bring about a positive outcome - whether it be healing of a medical condition, or relief from a situation.

    Try to peddle your dismissive bullshit with someone who doesn't know better.
    The people that believe that don't understand the Bible because it certainly doesn't say that anywhere.

    They have been twisted with organized religion to believe that.

    Not really their fault, they just don't have that close walk with God where they would know the difference.

    That is the reason we pray, so we can understand his will more.

    People think going to Church and singing hymns is what makes a Christian, it isn't, that is all fake.

    Asking God for guidance through prayer opens yourself up to more understanding of what God wants for you. The more you honestly pray the better of a Christian you become.

    Saying some pre-written prayer isn't praying.

    Sometimes when I pray I don't even have the words to say my thoughts so I just sit there, God knows what I'm trying to say.

    Its not about words its about the belief.

  2. #12
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,036
    Thanks
    10573

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    And why is it important.. to let him know that ? What are the benefits of it, or consequences if you don't ?
    Its not about benefit or consequence so to speak.

    Its about how close your walk with God is.

  3. #13
    Throbbing Member Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,592
    Thanks
    8714

    From
    Colorado
    Praying can have a calming affect on a person when stressed or agitated.

    Praying is not realistically done so that hands will ascend from heaven and help - its often for a sign, a direction, a light in the dark. A remedy, a cure, or some positivity in bleak situation. And even among many religious its a last resort.

    I find it difficult to condemn (or simply be a huge dickhead as it were) towards people who would use prayer in any capacity. It hurts nobody and frankly is a petty complaint.

  4. #14
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,690
    Thanks
    5639

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Its not about benefit or consequence so to speak.

    Its about how close your walk with God is.
    That was my question.. you specifically pointed out that praying is letting him know you understand "his ways"..

    You also say, it's not about praying to ask for things of him.. he does what he does, and he know s best, all your input is to tell him that you agree, and that whatever he brings upon you , or not, is a-ok with you.

    at least how i understood that post of yours.

    So the question remains, what benefit do you get from telling him that you get it, that you understand, and support his ways ?

    I mean, it's not like he wouldn't know without you praying, right ?

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,175
    Thanks
    17059

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    The people that believe that don't understand the Bible because it certainly doesn't say that anywhere.

    They have been twisted with organized religion to believe that.

    Not really their fault, they just don't have that close walk with God where they would know the difference.

    That is the reason we pray, so we can understand his will more.

    People think going to Church and singing hymns is what makes a Christian, it isn't, that is all fake.

    Asking God for guidance through prayer opens yourself up to more understanding of what God wants for you. The more you honestly pray the better of a Christian you become.

    Saying some pre-written prayer isn't praying.

    Sometimes when I pray I don't even have the words to say my thoughts so I just sit there, God knows what I'm trying to say.

    Its not about words its about the belief.
    So, God will not help you. There is nothing practical (peace of mind is not practical -you cannot spend, wear, eat, or use "peace of mind") God provides you, unless he feels like it. But, you love, and adore this absentee God, and pray to him to thank him for his non-presence.

    You're a special kind of fanatic...

  6. #16
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,036
    Thanks
    10573

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    That was my question.. you specifically pointed out that praying is letting him know you understand "his ways"..

    You also say, it's not about praying to ask for things of him.. he does what he does, and he know s best, all your input is to tell him that you agree, and that whatever he brings upon you , or not, is a-ok with you.

    at least how i understood that post of yours.

    So the question remains, what benefit do you get from telling him that you get it, that you understand, and support his ways ?

    I mean, it's not like he wouldn't know without you praying, right ?
    I suppose if I had to list something tangible it would be that it gives me confidence when I need it because it makes me feel closer to God.

    It helps me cope knowing that he understands my pain and feels it with me.

    It makes a person not feel alone in desperate times.



  7. #17
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21,804
    Thanks
    16176

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I originally posted this under my Random thoughts about religion. However, as I thought about it, I decided that this thought actually might deserve a bit more exploration.

    The choice is very simple: Science, or mythology. Reality, or Fantasy

    You, and I are having a friendly, private dinner. You suddenly start choking. Would you like me to:

    Perform the Heimlich Manoeuvrer on you? (Science/Reality)

    Or Pray for you? (Religion/Fantasy
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    You are swimming, and you develop a cramp, and are drowning, I am nearby in a boat. Will you:

    Pray, and wait for God to save you (Religion/Fantasy)?
    Or allow me to save you (Reality/Science)?

    It's easy to choose religion in the comfort of your home, safe, and comfy. However, the reality is, any time it actually matters, whether it is a medical condition, or a difficult problem, rational people - even those who claim a religion - invariably turn to science, and real world solutions to resolve the issues.
    I want you PERFORM THE HEMLICH and pray you know how the hell to do it right.

  8. #18
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,036
    Thanks
    10573

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    So, God will not help you. There is nothing practical (peace of mind is not practical -you cannot spend, wear, eat, or use "peace of mind") God provides you, unless he feels like it. But, you love, and adore this absentee God, and pray to him to thank him for his non-presence.

    You're a special kind of fanatic...
    How is peace of mind not practical?

    Its more healthy for you, makes you a better person to other people, gives you morals and values, there are many benefits to it.

  9. #19
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,036
    Thanks
    10573

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    I want you PERFORM THE HEMLICH and pray you know how the hell to do it right.
    I've done it, its more difficult than it looks because the person starts freaking out, they don't just stand there when they can't breath.

  10. #20
    Throbbing Member Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,592
    Thanks
    8714

    From
    Colorado
    Also I pick fantasy. Because in your example of reality, I'm either choking or drowning.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fantasy vs. Reality
    By NightSwimmer in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29th July 2016, 05:36 PM
  2. Reality Vs Romney-Ryan...Reality wins every time
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st September 2012, 08:35 AM
  3. The GOPís Will to Fantasy
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th August 2012, 11:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed