Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Thanks Tree13Thanks

Thread: Sukkot

  1. #1
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49,283
    Thanks
    23252

    From
    Vulcan

    Sukkot

    Sukkot is the next Jewish holiday, starting tomorrow night for eight days (seven in Israel). It involves holiday days Thursday-Friday this week. Next week, Shemini Atzeret is Thursday and Simchat Torah is Friday. Thus, I'm out of contact Wednesday night until Saturday night this week and next.

    After that, I'll be done with the holidays for a bit.
    Thanks from Tedminator, Djinn, Amelia and 2 others

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,107
    Thanks
    10585

    From
    By the wall
    You skip Halloween?

  3. #3
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49,283
    Thanks
    23252

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    You skip Halloween?
    Not a Jewish holiday. Rather, we have Purim, a minor (i.e., not Torah) holiday.

    See also:

    Judaism 101: Purim
    What Is Purim? - Purim

    Next holiday will actually be Chanukah, which this year is the evening of December 12 through the evening of December 20. It is not, however, a major holiday (it is not a Torah holiday), and so we do not take off work as a general rule. (We can, but are not required to.)

    Purim commemorates the survival of the Jewish people against a physical thread, just as Chanukah commemorates our survival against a spiritual threat.
    Thanks from Madeline

  4. #4
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,107
    Thanks
    10585

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Not a Jewish holiday. Rather, we have Purim, a minor (i.e., not Torah) holiday.

    See also:

    Judaism 101: Purim
    What Is Purim? - Purim

    Next holiday will actually be Chanukah, which this year is the evening of December 12 through the evening of December 20. It is not, however, a major holiday (it is not a Torah holiday), and so we do not take off work as a general rule. (We can, but are not required to.)

    Purim commemorates the survival of the Jewish people against a physical thread, just as Chanukah commemorates our survival against a spiritual threat.
    You miss out on free candy though and a fun time.

    Are you against Halloween, just curious, not like its really a religious holiday.

    Do you celebrate Valentines Day?

  5. #5
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30,691
    Thanks
    26051

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    You miss out on free candy though and a fun time.

    Are you against Halloween, just curious, not like its really a religious holiday.

    Do you celebrate Valentines Day?
    How ignorant you are of the chosen people and their beliefs. It almost seems to be irreverent.

    What laws do you think Jesus and his disciples were telling his followers to keep holy?
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #6
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30,691
    Thanks
    26051

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Sukkot is the next Jewish holiday, starting tomorrow night for eight days (seven in Israel). It involves holiday days Thursday-Friday this week. Next week, Shemini Atzeret is Thursday and Simchat Torah is Friday. Thus, I'm out of contact Wednesday night until Saturday night this week and next.

    After that, I'll be done with the holidays for a bit.



    Blessing my friend.
    Thanks from Madeline and Ian Jeffrey

  7. #7
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49,283
    Thanks
    23252

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Are you against Halloween, just curious, not like its really a religious holiday.
    I have never really discussed it with anyone, but it is not a Jewish holiday, so there is nothing to celebrate.

    However, Halloween did originate as a religious holiday, so it is not really appropriate for Jews.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Do you celebrate Valentines Day?
    You mean St. Valentine's Day? No.
    Thanks from Madeline

  8. #8
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,107
    Thanks
    10585

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    How ignorant you are of the chosen people and their beliefs. It almost seems to be irreverent.

    What laws do you think Jesus and his disciples were telling his followers to keep holy?
    WTF are you even talking about?

  9. #9
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,107
    Thanks
    10585

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I have never really discussed it with anyone, but it is not a Jewish holiday, so there is nothing to celebrate.

    However, Halloween did originate as a religious holiday, so it is not really appropriate for Jews.


    You mean St. Valentine's Day? No.
    They are more traditions now than holidays.

    Most don't even know their origins, just what they represent today.

  10. #10
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49,283
    Thanks
    23252

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    They are more traditions now than holidays.

    Most don't even know their origins, just what they represent today.
    Not knowing - and most do know something about it - does not change its nature.
    Thanks from Madeline and Amelia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed