Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
Thanks Tree56Thanks

Thread: Flat Earth Theory

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,136
    Thanks
    17035

    From
    Phoenix, AZ

    Flat Earth Theory

    I'm curious if there are any actual Flat Earth proponents on our forum. This is not meant as flame bait, or sarcasm; I really want to know if we have any, and how they support their position.

  2. #2
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,216
    Thanks
    38330

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I'm curious if there are any actual Flat Earth proponents on our forum. This is not meant as flame bait, or sarcasm; I really want to know if we have any, and how they support their position.
    Very few of those left in this country, the ignorance has to be a mile thick to parse that meme. Plenty of climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, moon landing deniers, 9/11 Truthers, evolution deniers, young earthers, and Trump Cultists to be seen around here though.

  3. #3
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,793
    Thanks
    6500

    From
    ===hiding in th3 rafters===
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I'm curious if there are any actual Flat Earth proponents on our forum. This is not meant as flame bait, or sarcasm; I really want to know if we have any, and how they support their position.
    Oh, great....another "round earth" nutter....
    Thanks from Czernobog, Djinn, RNG and 7 others

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,136
    Thanks
    17035

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Very few of those left in this country, the ignorance has to be a mile thick to parse that meme. Plenty of climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, moon landing deniers, 9/11 Truthers, evolution deniers, young earthers, and Trump Cultists to be seen around here though.
    I've been shocked to be seeing a rising number of proponents for this theory, in recent years. That's why I posed the question.
    Thanks from johnflesh and bajisima

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,136
    Thanks
    17035

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Oh, great....another "round earth" nutter....
    LOL ...fuck you...

    ON EDIT: Ya know...upon reflection, I probably shouldn't have posted that, as someone is sure to miss the LOL, and report me for "attacking another poster..."

    But, seriously, I have been seeing a rise in this, particularly on the internut, so I was curious if it had found its way here.

  6. #6
    Throbbing Member Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,530
    Thanks
    8659

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I've been shocked to be seeing a rising number of proponents for this theory, in recent years. That's why I posed the question.
    I have noticed this as well. Was a little surprised by it.
    Thanks from Czernobog

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,136
    Thanks
    17035

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    I have noticed this as well. Was a little surprised by it.
    Yeah...I'm trying to figure out if people actually believe the Earth is flat, or if it is just an excuse to hate on science.
    Thanks from johnflesh, Friday13 and Babba

  8. #8
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,216
    Thanks
    38330

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I've been shocked to be seeing a rising number of proponents for this theory, in recent years. That's why I posed the question.
    We lived down the road from one when I was a kid, his name was Lethal Godsey, my grandfather tried to show him atlases and globes but he would have none of it, he said if the earth was spinning he could jump in the air and land in Tennessee( we lived in SE Missouri at the time). His teenage son threw a switch on the tracks and created a train wreck, just to see it happen, went to the pen for many years....
    Thanks from Czernobog and Friday13

  9. #9
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    41,467
    Thanks
    26194

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I'd always presumed that flat earthers were "fake," in the sense that they don't genuinely believe the earth is flat. They join such groups because a) it ensures them a measure of attention with virtually no effort, and b) it allows them to be a part of a group that doesn't define itself by hating other groups.

    It's similar to people who claim to have been abducted by aliens, and hang out all night near Area 51, hoping to see some odd lights. They're not (necessarily) deluded... they're lonely. And being a member of this small, well-known club with rather simple membership requirements helps them cope.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,136
    Thanks
    17035

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    We lived down the road from one when I was a kid, his name was Lethal Godsey, my grandfather tried to show him atlases and globes but he would have none of it, he said if the earth was spinning he could jump in the air and land in Tennessee( we lived in SE Missouri at the time). His teenage son threw a switch on the tracks and created a train wreck, just to see it happen, went to the pen for many years....
    And, how did he explain things like eclipses, or technologies like RADAR, or GPS (although GPS might not have been around for public consumption, back then)?
    Last edited by Czernobog; 12th October 2017 at 10:34 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The flat tax
    By PACE in forum Economics
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 19th November 2015, 03:30 AM
  2. The flat tax
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th November 2015, 04:54 AM
  3. "We don't have time for a meeting of the flat earth society..."
    By Raoul_Duke in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 26th June 2013, 05:59 PM
  4. Perry's Flat tax
    By USA-1 in forum Political Ideologies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th October 2011, 03:30 PM
  5. Prince Harry Conspiracy Theory (Just a theory)
    By Robodoon in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th February 2007, 08:37 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed