Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 138
Thanks Tree83Thanks

Thread: Being an atheist takes guts.

  1. #51
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,217
    Thanks
    9124

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Your claim was that Stalin killed all of the people he killed in the name of atheism. Then you tried to "prove your point" by referencing a group that Stalin was never a part of, and Stalin disbanded as your "proof".

    Why do you keep digging your hole deeper? Just admit that you were mistaken, and move on. I never claimed that atheists were tolerant of Christians. I claim that none of the 18 million people that Stalin had killed were in service to atheism, but in service to power, and control. You want to pretend that because one guy who killed a bunch of people in order to solidify his political position happened to be atheist, then this is evidence that atheism is "bad".

    Torquemada was personally responsible for the deaths of thousands of people during the Inquisitions. I assume, by your logic, you would agree that one individual, all my himself, makes Christianity "bad"?
    Exactly. We have just as much evidence that LBJ was overseeing the slaughter of a couple million Vietnamese "in the name of Christianity" (setting aside whatever "in the name of" is supposed to mean).
    Thanks from Czernobog

  2. #52
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Exactly. We have just as much evidence that LBJ was overseeing the slaughter of a couple million Vietnamese "in the name of Christianity" (setting aside whatever "in the name of" is supposed to mean).
    250,000 people died as a result of the bombing of Nagasaki, and Hiroshima. Harry S. Truman was a Baptist. So, Christianity was responsible for those 250,000 people dying, right?
    Thanks from StanStill

  3. #53
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,217
    Thanks
    9124

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    250,000 people died as a result of the bombing of Nagasaki, and Hiroshima. Harry S. Truman was a Baptist. So, Christianity was responsible for those 250,000 people dying, right?
    Only if he did it "in the name of" Christianity. He could have done it "in the name of" Humphrey Bogart for all we know.


  4. #54
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Only if he did it "in the name of" Christianity. He could have done it "in the name of" Humphrey Bogart for all we know.

    Well, that's kinda the point. The fact that Stalin happened to be atheist was incidental to the political assassinations that Stalin ordered in order to solidify his power in the USSR. Was Stalin a monster? Yeah. However there is no evidence that his actions were due to his theological position; rather all of the recorded evidence suggests that his actions were politically motivated.

  5. #55
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    16,332
    Thanks
    6721

    From
    Derpville USA
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Exactly. We have just as much evidence that LBJ was overseeing the slaughter of a couple million Vietnamese "in the name of Christianity" (setting aside whatever "in the name of" is supposed to mean).
    Well, they blame all senseless murders overseas on Allah, so fair is fair I guess....



    oh and in the name of Tomas Edison, I electrocute your gonads.

    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 19th October 2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Thanks from StanStill

  6. #56
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Well, they blame all senseless murders overseas on Allah, so fair is fair I guess....
    Kind of a different thing. Most of the killings for which Jihadists claim credit, kinda are done in the name of Allah. After all, that's kinda the point of Jihad.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  7. #57
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,970
    Thanks
    25481

    From
    Wisconsin
    I can't be an atheist.

    It wouldn't take courage for me to be one. It would take denial of supernatural experiences.

  8. #58
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I can't be an atheist.

    It wouldn't take courage for me to be one. It would take denial of supernatural experiences.
    I'm going to ignore the temptation, and just say, yay you. Glad that works for ya.

  9. #59
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    50,430
    Thanks
    23838

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    You'll need to take that up with the article's author.
    No, I do not. It did not say "atheism." Your own quote in red demonstrated that.

    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    That's because your computer hates you.
    Nah, it just hates non-Jewish religious publications.

    This one is still ncregister.com, and I got the same "This site can't be reached" message. I tried the home page for the site, too, and got it again. It's bizarre. And it's not like I have a Jewish filter turned on or anything....

  10. #60
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,813
    Thanks
    2609

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    No, I do not. It did not say "atheism." Your own quote in red demonstrated that.

    Nah, it just hates non-Jewish religious publications.

    This one is still ncregister.com, and I got the same "This site can't be reached" message. I tried the home page for the site, too, and got it again. It's bizarre. And it's not like I have a Jewish filter turned on or anything....
    Don't worry, even if you left your Jewish filter on, I can tell you as an agnostic of non-Jewish ethnicity that it doesn't work for me either.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pruitt's paranoia as he guts the EPA
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28th September 2017, 07:47 AM
  2. GOP (NOT Trump!) guts Ethics Committee!
    By Dangermouse in forum Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 5th January 2017, 05:42 AM
  3. Russia has no guts
    By Another Sean in forum Europe & Russia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th June 2014, 10:20 AM
  4. The Lord has guts to say the truth even if it is not liked by anybody
    By dattaswami in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th June 2007, 08:34 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed