Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
Thanks Tree43Thanks

Thread: Why are spiritual people smarter and more creative than most atheists?

  1. #21
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21,678
    Thanks
    4181

    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    There is a difference between atheist and anti-theist.

    I know several atheist who are for the most part fairly intellectual individuals.

    They are nonbelievers and they do not care if or what someone else believes.

    This describes an atheist.

    The angry, hate filed leftist you are referring to that hates all things religious and specifically Christianity and Judaism is an anti-theist.

    These people are extremely angry and can be very dangerous and would like nothing more than to rid the US of the Constitutional Right to worship its' citizens please.

    I assure you .... you will encounter some of these anti-theist in this thread.
    Exception are for Islam.
    Thanks from John T Ford

  2. #22
    Telecastin' Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,656
    Thanks
    4419

    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    Gross generalizations. I'll make it very simple. There are a whooole lot more 'believers' than there are geniuses.
    The OP disproves himself anyway.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #23
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21,678
    Thanks
    4181

    Quote Originally Posted by HadEnough2 View Post
    Who the fuck are you to judge? You've spewed as much anger and hate on this forum as anyone.

    Atheism comes from a belief in science and common sense.

    “An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deeds must be done instead of prayer. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty banished, war eliminated.”

    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    -- Stephen Roberts
    Many hospitals are church run, many charities are, refugee centers in the Middle east have church backing.
    Thanks from Reality

  4. #24
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    24,430
    Thanks
    6741

    From
    Great State of Texas
    LMAO ......

    Told you so in comment #3.

    @Reality

  5. #25
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,478
    Thanks
    11801

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    That theory is sketchy and pretty easily debunk-able.

    Also, that's not how "natural selection" works anyway, humans don't just magically "evolve" traits because they're useful (e.x. humans didn't one day just "evolve wings" because they wanted to fly) - that's basically a 'teleological' take on evolution, not how evolution works from a purely Darwinian standpoint.


    Nah, the reality is that human capacity for "myth" extends beyond merely "religion", and permeates every institution - the 'myths' or 'faith based beliefs and aspirations' of secular philosophies (e.x. the belief that science will lead to social progress and a perfect society) aren't ultimately that different at the core, just secular incarnations of myths similar to ancient ones.

    Because really, no one can predict the future and "know" that science will inevitably lead to social progress, as it could lead to nuclear war as well.

    Likewise, many thinkers have made cohesive logical arguments for a God or higher power (not necessarily a "specific religion's version of God", but a general concept), so to them it wasn't a matter of merely "believing without proof", but rather a logical deduction.


    Then debunk it, not your stupid "magically evolved" nonsense. I never said it popped up overnight, humans have had it as long as they were thinking. How else do you explain so many people, with intelligent (well, some anyway) and logical brains believing in magic and things without any proof? Believing assinine stories (speaking of believing in magic).

    Also explains why there are people, like myself, that never believed. Even when we had to go to church and sunday school, always thinking this was just something I had to do. And I'm not alone.

    The God gene hypothesis is based on a combination of behavioral genetic, neurobiological and psychological studies.[2] The major arguments of the hypothesis are: (1) spirituality can be quantified by psychometric measurements; (2) the underlying tendency to spirituality is partially heritable; (3) part of this heritability can be attributed to the gene VMAT2; (4) this gene acts by altering monoamine levels; and (5) spirituality provides an evolutionary advantage by providing individuals with an innate sense of optimism.
    WTF was the rest of that babble? Nothing debunks or even counters anything I said. Whatever, why am I bothering you are just another mindless troll that infests this forum
    Last edited by Dr Sampson Simpson; 3rd November 2017 at 05:15 AM.
    Thanks from Friday13

  6. #26
    Telecastin' Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,656
    Thanks
    4419

    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    LMAO ......

    Told you so in comment #3.

    @Reality
    Are you honest enough to 'out' those whom you think are anti-theist? Because most of the responses here are about the OP's failed logic and dishonest attempts at misrepresentation.

    I suppose you're ok with that and believe it is some form of persecution on the poor Christian who incidentally is making all sorts of disgusting accusations in his threads against atheism.

    They're only infidels anyway, correct?
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #27
    The Republican Agenda HadEnough2's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,981
    Thanks
    9246

    From
    Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Many hospitals are church run, many charities are, refugee centers in the Middle east have church backing.
    Good. Never said any of this wasn't true.

  8. #28
    Wrinkly Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21,364
    Thanks
    19195

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Many hospitals are church run, many charities are, refugee centers in the Middle east have church backing.
    ...And many are not. Those are the ones that don't seek to impose their beliefs on others as they work.

  9. #29
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    You claim this, but you refuse to explain why you claim this. To start: “(1) Atheism implies a belief that the universe is entirely natural with no supernatural part to it, set in motion by blind and indifferent natural forces. (2) Nihilism is the belief that there is no final truth, no ground of being, no objective morality, no difference between virtue and vice, nothing worth doing.”

    I submit that there is no way to deduce statement (2) from statement (1). The one does not logically imply the other.

    I moreover submit it is as easy to deduce the existence of an objective moral code, even absent the supernatural, as it is to deduce the existence of logic itself.

    The argument in both cases is the same. In order to deduce whether or not logic is useful, one must use logic. Hence, it is inescapable, part of the human condition outside of which no human can step, not even for the brief moment it takes to ask a hypothetical question. Likewise, in order to deduce whether or not morality is objective, one must face the question with the honesty, humility, and perfect integrity of a philosopher, that is, one must adhere to at least these moral imperatives. Again, it is inescapable.

    Nothing in the above argument presupposes the existence of a god or gods. Hence I submit that it is possible to deduce the existence of rules of logic and rule of morality that govern all men, all life. And if rules of morality exist, virtue and vice exist, are meaningful terms, and apply to real objects and events.

    A meaningful life is one lived according to virtue. Hence, if virtue exists, life can be meaningful, even for an atheist.

    I welcome a rebuttal from your or from anyone who cares to pick up the gauntlet.
    Yeah. I notice neither @Reality, nor any other theist wanted to take up my challenge. What happened to all those "intelligent, creative" theists?

  10. #30
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,942
    Thanks
    5853

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    You claim this, but you refuse to explain why you claim this. To start: “(1) Atheism implies a belief that the universe is entirely natural with no supernatural part to it, set in motion by blind and indifferent natural forces. (2) Nihilism is the belief that there is no final truth, no ground of being, no objective morality, no difference between virtue and vice, nothing worth doing.”

    I submit that there is no way to deduce statement (2) from statement (1). The one does not logically imply the other.

    I moreover submit it is as easy to deduce the existence of an objective moral code, even absent the supernatural, as it is to deduce the existence of logic itself.

    The argument in both cases is the same. In order to deduce whether or not logic is useful, one must use logic. Hence, it is inescapable, part of the human condition outside of which no human can step, not even for the brief moment it takes to ask a hypothetical question. Likewise, in order to deduce whether or not morality is objective, one must face the question with the honesty, humility, and perfect integrity of a philosopher, that is, one must adhere to at least these moral imperatives. Again, it is inescapable.

    Nothing in the above argument presupposes the existence of a god or gods. Hence I submit that it is possible to deduce the existence of rules of logic and rule of morality that govern all men, all life. And if rules of morality exist, virtue and vice exist, are meaningful terms, and apply to real objects and events.

    A meaningful life is one lived according to virtue. Hence, if virtue exists, life can be meaningful, even for an atheist.

    I welcome a rebuttal from your or from anyone who cares to pick up the gauntlet.
    Are you John C. Wright ? Or did you just "forget" to name the source of your quote ?

    To put someone else's intellectual property, written in the first singular, without any hint (not even using the usual quote indicators) to the fact that this is NOT your original thought and work.. comes of a little weird, sorry.

    Is Non-Nihilist Atheism Possible? » John C. Wright's Journal
    Thanks from Reality

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Atheists are the worst people in the world...according to
    By Kallie Knoetze in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 25th August 2017, 09:54 AM
  2. Ebola could cleanse US of atheists, gay people, and sluts
    By Inkslinger in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th October 2014, 11:39 AM
  3. Replies: 252
    Last Post: 21st August 2013, 03:21 AM
  4. The GOP's creative destruction
    By Defensor in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th January 2008, 08:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed