Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
Thanks Tree43Thanks

Thread: Why are spiritual people smarter and more creative than most atheists?

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,603
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    Are you John C. Wright ?
    yeah...I don't think you're allowed to ask me that question, and if you think I am going to answer it, you're out of your mind. Let us, for the sake of argument, say that I am. Do you really think I would confirm such on an open forum?!?! Really??? I posted what I posted. You may assume what you would like from that post.

  2. #32
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    16,325
    Thanks
    6721

    From
    Derpville USA
    The OP is a doofus.

  3. #33
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,940
    Thanks
    5853

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    yeah...I don't think you're allowed to ask me that question, and if you think I am going to answer it, you're out of your mind. Let us, for the sake of argument, say that I am. Do you really think I would confirm such on an open forum?!?! Really??? I posted what I posted. You may assume what you would like from that post.
    plagiarism then... ok.

    So you think you give someone a 'challenge', by quoting someone else. That's not intelligent, that's not creative... you pretty much gave the OP exactly what he was claiming... that you are much less intelligent and creative than the theists.

    Using someone else work and pretend it's yours...It's not only sad... it's despicable.
    Thanks from Reality

  4. #34
    Senior Member Loki's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    3728

    From
    East coast USA
    Bill Gates ? Mark Twain ?
    Though religious afiliation is not a prerequisite figure I would guess.

  5. #35
    Shiny Purple Member namvet69's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,489
    Thanks
    3491

    From
    Englewood, Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Nah, the truth is that atheism and nihilism to some extent have gone hand-in-hand - people who are just nihilistic aren't known for intelligent or creative thinking, they just want to see the world burn.
    You can say this although throughout history religion has led to wars, murders, genocide etc? Just how smart were the hundreds of folks who drank the KoolAde in Jonestown? That's just a single example of the evil that's been done in the name of one god or another.

    We non believers simply don't buy the bullshit one has to purchase in order to be "In the fold." We're not willing to abandon critical thought in order to be indoctrinated by an alternative reality.

    To me, that shows quite clearly that we are smarter than those who believe in ghosts and give up their hard earned money to whichever televangelist is in favor.

    One question I'd love god people to answer is why is it so all-fired important that I believe the same nonsense that you believe? Quit knocking on my door or sticking brochures in my mailbox etc. Go bother someone dumb enough to listen to your sales pitch.

  6. #36
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet69 View Post
    You can say this although throughout history religion has led to wars, murders, genocide etc? Just how smart were the hundreds of folks who drank the KoolAde in Jonestown? That's just a single example of the evil that's been done in the name of one god or another.
    Most murders historically were done in the name of secular ideologies and political, such as Communism, Nazisim, etc.

    Jim Jones was a communist, for what it's worth.

    We non believers simply don't buy the bullshit one has to purchase in order to be "In the fold." We're not willing to abandon critical thought in order to be indoctrinated by an alternative reality.
    Reality is decided by society, if you're claiming that reality somehow exists objectively and independent of society or man-made law, that's the equivalent of believing in a god or higher power in everything but name.

    To me, that shows quite clearly that we are smarter than those who believe in ghosts and give up their hard earned money to whichever televangelist is in favor.
    The reality is that most atheists just replace belief in ghosts, with belief that Ray Kurtzweil will one day invent a way for them to live forever as a computer AI (however unlikely that is outside of Star Trek), and replace supporting televangelists with supporting whichever trendy Atheist spokesperson is in favor, such as Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris.

    One question I'd love god people to answer is why is it so all-fired important that I believe the same nonsense that you believe? Quit knocking on my door or sticking brochures in my mailbox etc. Go bother someone dumb enough to listen to your sales pitch.
    Yawn...



    Why do atheists feel the need to evangelize their "lack of belief" (or rather, why do Secular Humanists feel the need to Evangelize their philosophy, which is just a surrogate for religion in everything but name)?

    Or rather, if you claim that reality is objectively decided by some higher power than man-made law as you did above, then why would you be against evangelizing it? You can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by Reality; 6th November 2017 at 09:18 AM.

  7. #37
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,940
    Thanks
    5853

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post


    Reality is decided by society, if you're claiming that reality somehow exists objectively and independent of society or man-made law, that's the equivalent of believing in a god or higher power in everything but name.


    The reality is that most atheists just replace belief in ghosts, with belief that Ray Kurtzweil will one day invent a way for them to live forever as a computer AI (however unlikely that is outside of Star Trek), and replace supporting televangelists with supporting whichever trendy Atheist spokesperson is in favor, such as Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris.



    Why do atheists feel the need to evangelize their "lack of belief" (or rather, why do Secular Humanists feel the need to Evangelize their philosophy, which is just a surrogate for religion in everything but name)?

    Or rather, if you claim that reality is objectively decided by some higher power than man-made law as you did above, then why would you be against evangelizing it? You can't have it both ways.
    Reality exists without any observer. The universe does what it does with or without mankind observing it, and trying to explain the physics behind it.

    Reality is not "decided" by a higher power, and it is also not "decided" by man-made law.
    Physical reality, the way how the universe expands, creates planets, stars, galaxies, etc... just IS, without any entity having made the conscious decision to start it, or to "have" a universe.
    All we do is finding a better understanding HOW the universe works, what physical laws are there that those processes follow, and to come up with ideas for those phenomena we have not yet fully understood. But any such theory is only valid, if it can be proven in an experiment at some point.
    Science in the classical sense does ask the question of HOW the universe came into existence.. not WHY.

    Atheism is based on the "absence" of any creator, or intended will in the creation of and continuation of the universe.

  8. #38
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    32,118
    Thanks
    6742

    From
    A Month Away
    I am agnostic. I have no religion. But I actually agree with the premise that those who are spiritual and attend church (synagogue, kingdom hall, mosque) may be smarter. Why? Because they have found a place to network. Networks are important in our social climate. Are all those attending your local Baptist church believers? Surely not.

  9. #39
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    Reality exists without any observer. The universe does what it does with or without mankind observing it, and trying to explain the physics behind it.
    And you can prove that, how?

    Reality is not "decided" by a higher power, and it is also not "decided" by man-made law.
    Physical reality, the way how the universe expands, creates planets, stars, galaxies, etc... just IS, without any entity having made the conscious decision to start it, or to "have" a universe.
    That ultimately works out similar to believing in a god or higher power, since the conclusion is that reality is set in stone and decided by something higher than individuals or societies, whether you believe the universe 'simply exists', or that it was created.

  10. #40
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    I am agnostic. I have no religion. But I actually agree with the premise that those who are spiritual and attend church (synagogue, kingdom hall, mosque) may be smarter. Why? Because they have found a place to network. Networks are important in our social climate. Are all those attending your local Baptist church believers? Surely not.
    This thread was about spiritual people, not people who attend any organized institution.

    In fact, the most spiritual often aren't the most socially active or vocal members of any community to begin with (e.x. a monk who lives in solitude and spends his time meditating is likely far more spiritual than the average televangelist, or average church commuter).

    We're talking about spiritual, as in capable of understanding or articulating deep spiritual or philosophical concepts related to the meaning of life, God, creators, etc - as opposed to simple, materialistic-mindedness.
    Last edited by Reality; 6th November 2017 at 10:18 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Atheists are the worst people in the world...according to
    By Kallie Knoetze in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 25th August 2017, 09:54 AM
  2. Ebola could cleanse US of atheists, gay people, and sluts
    By Inkslinger in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th October 2014, 11:39 AM
  3. Replies: 252
    Last Post: 21st August 2013, 03:21 AM
  4. The GOP's creative destruction
    By Defensor in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th January 2008, 08:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed