Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 137
Thanks Tree55Thanks

Thread: I have a hypothetical question for my fellow atheists.

  1. #31
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,942
    Thanks
    5853

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    See. Horse shit answer like this is precisely why I specifically addressed this question to fellow atheists.
    And you want an answer - answer, or can I just copy something from the Internet ?

  2. #32
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    24,432
    Thanks
    6741

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Uh, yeah. Remember the entire premise of the OP is that irrefutable objective evidence is discovered that, not only demonstrates the existence of a creator God, but also that this Creator God is the accurately described God of the Christians. That would mean that the bible is accurate in its descriptions. It would remove any ability to simply discount any part of the Bible as "that didn't happen".
    Alright .....

    Why would one, who is presumably a nonbeliever, want to entertain such an idea?

    Is it to reinforce your non-belief?

  3. #33
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,949
    Thanks
    45486

    From
    So. Md.
    I've come to the point that I don't believe there is a God as described in the Christian bible. I'm agnostic on the existence of an omnipotent being overseeing the universe. I could believe in God, but you're right about the one the three Abrahamic religions created. That guy is a jerk. I would have a difficult time getting behind him even with the threat of the pain of eternal damnation.
    Thanks from Czernobog

  4. #34
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    Alright .....

    Why would one, who is presumably a nonbeliever, want to entertain such an idea?

    Is it to reinforce your non-belief?
    Really? So it's my non-belief that makes God responsible for genocide? God didn't order the Jews to do what he ordered them to do in 1 Samuel, Chapter 15? "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

    The Christian God either issued that command, or he didn't. My belief, or lack thereof does not alter that. Either the Bible is accurate, or it isn't. The premise of my OP posits that irrefutable evidence is discovered to demonstrate that it is, in fact, accurate. So, just proving God exists is not enough to convince me to become a Christian.

    You need to reconcile your "God of love an inclusion" with the God that commanded that.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 5th November 2017 at 09:30 AM.

  5. #35
    Inside Your Heads syrenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    13,525
    Thanks
    6659

    From
    the sadness of my soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Really? So it's my non-belief that makes God responsible for genocide? God didn't order the Jews to do what he ordered them to do in 1 Samuel, Chapter 15? "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

    The Christian God either issued that command, or he didn't. My belief, or lack thereof does not alter that. Either the Bible is accurate, or it isn't. The premise of my OP posits that irrefutable evidence is discovered to demonstrate that it is, in fact, accurate. So, just proving God exists is not enough to convince me to become a Christian.

    You need to reconcile your "God of love an inclusion" with the God that commanded that.
    you run across that little problem that the bible is a work of fiction and a creation of..... man.
    Thanks from John T Ford

  6. #36
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by syrenn View Post
    you run across that little problem that the bible is a work of fiction and a creation of..... man.
    I refer back to the OP. For the purposes of this discussion we have discovered irrefutable evidence that this is not the case.

  7. #37
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    24,432
    Thanks
    6741

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Really? So it's my non-belief that makes God responsible for genocide? God didn't order the Jews to do what he ordered them to do in 1 Samuel, Chapter 15? "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

    The Christian God either issued that command, or he didn't. My belief, or lack thereof does not alter that. Either the Bible is accurate, or it isn't. The premise of my OP posits that irrefutable evidence is discovered to demonstrate that it is, in fact, accurate. So, just proving God exists is not enough to convince me to become a Christian.

    You need to reconcile your "God of love an inclusion" with the God that commanded that.
    I understand that but, you didn't answer my question.

  8. #38
    Inside Your Heads syrenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    13,525
    Thanks
    6659

    From
    the sadness of my soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I refer back to the OP. For the purposes of this discussion we have discovered irrefutable evidence that this is not the case.
    all right... fair enough.

  9. #39
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    24,432
    Thanks
    6741

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by syrenn View Post
    you run across that little problem that the bible is a work of fiction and a creation of..... man.
    That's where I'm at with it.

    Blaming God for man's genocide sounds like a nasty little trick from man ..... not God.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    I understand that but, you didn't answer my question.
    Because your question implies that I am looking for a reason to not believe. I'm not. I'm looking for a reason to believe. Convince me. Reconcile your God of love and inclusion with the God who commanded that.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hypothetical question: Tax on breeders ?
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 225
    Last Post: 6th June 2016, 10:39 AM
  2. Hypothetical medical question
    By Djinn in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th September 2014, 05:05 PM
  3. HYPOTHETICAL question
    By justonemorevoice in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th February 2009, 12:20 AM
  4. A hypothetical question of security
    By The_Bear in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 9th August 2008, 05:33 PM
  5. Hypothetical Iran question
    By Conservative15 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 15th July 2008, 03:04 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed