Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 73
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: Why isn't starving children a good thing if one is an atheist?

  1. #51
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    But you have no problem with lying. Why the duplicity?
    The argument was that Humanism is a philosophy which makes value judgments (such as that society should protect human life moreso than other forms of life).

  2. #52
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    The problem with your post stems from this premise. You presume that sanctity is the only means by which to measure value. This belies a reliance of religious ideology. Has it never occurred to you that there might be other characteristics that might provide value to a thing?

    Take a human being, for instance. A human is capable of rational thought, as well as imagination, and, most importantly, an understanding of self. Now, while you are quite correct in that biologically humans are "just animals". However, did it not occur to you that this ability to reason, and perceive an understanding of self might, without any need for religious trappings like "sanctity", give humans - even human children - more value than bacteria, amoeba, maggots, and worms?
    Why does it not surprise me that Reality chooses to ignore any response that challenges his presumptions in a way that he cannot dispute?
    Thanks from Dangermouse

  3. #53
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    looks like @Think for myself ducked and ran when he realized he wasn't debating a Christian apologist, but was rather asked to defend the Secular Humanist philosophy and its founder on their own merits... go figure... lol
    Oh, well. I'll dip out, now. Your title suggested that this was a challenge to atheists. Since I'm not a Secular Humanist, this really does not involve me. I do with theists would figure out that not all atheists are human secularists.

  4. #54
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    But you have no problem with lying. Why the duplicity? You do not have much understanding of philosophy and the little you do know you are employing erroneously.

    You conflate secular humanism with atheism. That is dishonest especially as you've been shown the difference continuously and you are unable to defend your contention.

    You are no better than the scum who conflate atheism with Nazism or Communism.
    The point I was making here, was merely that a lot of Humanist beliefs are "faith" or emotion-based much like those of religions, while Humanism doesn't bring supernatural myths into it, such as deciding that humans have a "special" status that other animals don't.

    The point is that this is to some extent, emotion based.
    Last edited by Reality; 6th November 2017 at 02:18 PM.

  5. #55
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Oh, well. I'll dip out, now. Your title suggested that this was a challenge to atheists. Since I'm not a Secular Humanist, this really does not involve me. I do with theists would figure out that not all atheists are human secularists.
    It was a challenge to all atheists (who believe human life should be protected more than that of animals) to explain the reasoning behind it.

  6. #56
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    It was a challenge to all atheists (who believe human life should be protected more than that of animals) to explain the reasoning behind it.
    That's either a lie, or you don't know what an atheist is. You specifically said, in post #35, that your purpose was "...to defend the Secular Humanist philosophy and its founder on their own merits..."

    So, either you're lying, and your posts weren't directed to "all atheists", or you do not understand that not all atheists - such as myself - are Human Secularists. I'll leave to you to clarify which is accurate.

    Now this is not to suggest that I don't agree with some of the things that Human Secularists say. However, I also agree with some of the things that Satanists say. I am most assuredly not a Satanist.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 6th November 2017 at 03:30 PM.

  7. #57
    Telecastin' Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,656
    Thanks
    4419

    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    No that's the point I made before about Sade and the "libertine" philosophy.

    TFM is conflating atheists with Humanists by asserting that all atheists understand why people should be compassionate; point is that atheism and compassion aren't mutually exclusive; Sade and the libertine philosophy are an example.
    But Sade and the now anachronistic Libertine philosophy are exceptions to the rule. You KNOW that so why persist with the libel?

  8. #58
    Telecastin' Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,656
    Thanks
    4419

    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    The argument was that Humanism is a philosophy which makes value judgments (such as that society should protect human life moreso than other forms of life).
    Which has nothing to do with atheism. An atheist is merely a person who does not believe in god(s) owing to a lack of proof. Nothing more, nothing less. Your projections and associations are immaterial to atheism.

  9. #59
    Established Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,520
    Thanks
    4273

    From
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    @Think for myself

    Kid, If you keep lying, i'm reporting you.

    I've said several times I don't believe any world religion's myths are fact (Christian, Muslim, Jewish, otherwise), I merely asserted I have some understanding of secular philosophy (which I don't think you have even a HS level understanding of based on the nonsensical posts you keep making) and am skeptical of Humanism.

    So you're either just being daft, or intentionally lying about me to make it look like you're debating a Christian fundamentalist so you can win the argument.

    (Hint, the argument is that your belief in Humanism is essentially on par with believing in Jewish ghosts, and that mine are better than either of those, since they aren't based in blind faith in man-made systems, religious or secular).
    If I have done something wrong, report me and let the mods sort it out.

    Please note your thread title says atheist. Your point, vague as it is, seems to keep changing.

  10. #60
    Wrinkly Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21,364
    Thanks
    19195

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    The point I was making here, was merely that a lot of Humanist beliefs are "faith" or emotion-based much like those of religions, while Humanism doesn't bring supernatural myths into it, such as deciding that humans have a "special" status that other animals don't.

    The point is that this is to some extent, emotion based.
    But your OP addressed atheists, not secular humanists. You may be unable to differentiate the two, but they are not the same.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Too much of a good thing
    By labrea in forum Economics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3rd July 2016, 05:07 PM
  2. Starving Children...
    By Friday13 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 19th April 2015, 03:20 PM
  3. Replies: 107
    Last Post: 24th March 2014, 07:06 PM
  4. If you think war with Iran is a good thing...
    By Zarathustra in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th June 2008, 11:27 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed