Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: Why isn't starving children a good thing if one is an atheist?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    But your OP addressed atheists, not secular humanists. You may be unable to differentiate the two, but they are not the same.
    Yup. You're the third person to point this out to him. This is such old bullshit. Here's an analogy you might understand, @Reality:

    Atheists are to Secular Humanists as Conservatives are to White Nationalists.

  2. #62
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Think for myself View Post
    If I have done something wrong, report me and let the mods sort it out.

    Please note your thread title says atheist. Your point, vague as it is, seems to keep changing.
    Well my argument was twofold. Yes, I'm aware that atheists who advocate ideals such as Humanism can live without harming others, most atheists are not killers, I agree.

    My argument was that just that ideas like Humanism are still a value judgment (you can argue that it's better than believing in "Jewish ghosts" if you want, but it's still a philosophy with potential holes).

    So if an atheist decided to reject Humanism - how would a Humanist prove their philosophy was superior? That was the main point I was making.
    Last edited by Reality; 6th November 2017 at 04:04 PM.

  3. #63
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Yup. You're the third person to point this out to him. This is such old bullshit. Here's an analogy you might understand, @Reality:

    Atheists are to Secular Humanists as Conservatives are to White Nationalists.
    So you're comparing Humanism to White Nationalism?

    I'm aware there's a difference between "not believing in a god" and believing in the Humanist philosophy, problem is that most atheist organizations in the US (such as FFRF) identify with Humanism, and use the terms interchangeably themselves.

    Point of the argument is that an atheist doesn't have to be a Humanist, or view human life as more special than animal life.

  4. #64
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    But Sade and the now anachronistic Libertine philosophy are exceptions to the rule. You KNOW that so why persist with the libel?
    Point is that an atheist could chose that and reject Humanism (one could suspect that some murders such as Dahmer, hold a similar worldview, though I'd agree that it's less because of the pure "atheism" and more because of the materialism).

    So ultimately a Humanist would have to argue or prove that their Humanist philosophy is superior.

    It may be "common sense" for most people not to harm others, but just stating something is "common sense" doesn't win an argument.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60,177
    Thanks
    17906

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Or in summary:

    "Humans are animals... but humans dying so that animals can eat = bad; animals dying so that humans can eat = good".

    Yeah, makes a lot of sense...
    Organized religious dogma is not necessary for being a moral person.

  6. #66
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    My experience is that most self-identified "atheists" online are either:

    Nihilists - Usually just angsty teens who listen to Cradle of Filth and post Nietzsche memes; hate everything and want to see the world burn

    Secular Humanists - Want to 'evangelize' their Humanist values and spread the 'good news' of Humanism to the unwashed god-bothering heathens, almost always liberals

    Objectivists - Ayn Rand worshipers

    Singularity worshipers - Ray Kurzweil / Eliezer Yudkowsky cultists who think they'll be able to upload their mind into a computer and live forever
    Last edited by Reality; 6th November 2017 at 04:20 PM.

  7. #67
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60,177
    Thanks
    17906

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    My experience is that most self-identified "atheists" online are either:

    Nihilists - Usually just angsty teens who hate everything and want to see the world burn

    Secular Humanists - Want to 'evangelize' their Humanist values
    No that's not your "Experience"....that's your interpretation of your experience.
    You may simply be crazy, right?

  8. #68
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Organized religious dogma is not necessary for being a moral person.
    No one made this argument. You're doing what TFM did and trying to make this out to be a Christian argument.

  9. #69
    Established Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,520
    Thanks
    4273

    From
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    My experience is that most self-identified "atheists" online are either:

    Nihilists - Usually just angsty teens who listen to Cradle of Filth and post Nietzsche memes; hate everything and want to see the world burn

    Secular Humanists - Want to 'evangelize' their Humanist values and spread the 'good news' of Humanism to the unwashed god-bothering heathens, almost always liberals

    Objectivists - Ayn Rand worshipers

    Singularity worshipers - Ray Kurzweil / Eliezer Yudkowsky cultists who think they'll be able to upload their mind into a computer and live forever
    Wow. I just think religions are delusions following myths.

  10. #70
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    74

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Think for myself View Post
    Wow. I just think religions are delusions following myths.
    Fair enough, religious myths are what you don't believe, but if someone doesn't identify with anything (values, philosophy, etc - secular or otherwise) that they do believe, then there's not much to discuss.
    Last edited by Reality; 6th November 2017 at 04:51 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Too much of a good thing
    By labrea in forum Economics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3rd July 2016, 05:07 PM
  2. Starving Children...
    By Friday13 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 19th April 2015, 03:20 PM
  3. Replies: 107
    Last Post: 24th March 2014, 07:06 PM
  4. If you think war with Iran is a good thing...
    By Zarathustra in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th June 2008, 11:27 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed